Pitching In Bad Weather

Maffffster

Was wondering how people pitch there caravans in bad weather. With modern technology being so good you can generally see what weathers coming and how bad the wind will be and from what direction. With that in mind do you choose a pitch facing into the wind or side on (non awning side) to protect the awning ?

Just a thought

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

Ideally I would not use an awning in bad weather, and would face into the wind. However in practice the orientation is almost always determined by the site layout and pitch allocation.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Ideally I would not use an awning in bad weather, and would face into the wind. However in practice the orientation is almost always determined by the site layout and pitch allocation.

Gordon.

Would tend to agree with you, with the exception of caravan club sites, where you can drive round and find a pitch of your liking. I'm off to Longleat and can see the weathers looking a bit windy so wondered what other people would do. Gonna have the awning up for the kids. last time we went we pitched side on to protect the awning, but this time I was wonder if it's better to point the nose into the wind and hope the awnings ok ?

There is little to be gained by putting up an awning,

which will have strong wind pressure against it,

something will give! Face your van into the wind

if possible one of the narrow ends first. I carry a big

plastic box that fits under the caravan to store outdoor

shoes in.

Don't put the awning up until the weather is better. I have seen too many expensive awnings and sides and roofs of caravan damaged when an awning cannot cope with the wind.

Maffff, looking at your avatar I have to say I have seen an awning of a similar shape to yours blow-in and be flat against the side of the caravan. There didn't look to be any real damage done to the awning, but as the caravan door couldn't be opened, the occupants did have a problem extricating themselves from the caravan.

I have been to at least 3 sites in the French Alps where the management will only allow an awning on the leeward side of a caravan. It often seems to be a decision based not on the direction of the prevailing wind, as we have in this country, but on the topography of the valley in which the site is situated. So on these sites where you have caravans with awning's or sun canopy's erected, you have all the continental caravans facing in one direction and the British caravans in the opposite direction. Pitch orientation doesn't count.

Having been in some severe mountain storms, the rule does make sense.

If strong winds are likely it's an awning to leeward or nothing for us.

John.

Anybody putting up an awning today risks losing it and damage to their caravan not worth the risk and a Christmas spoilt. Wait 24 hours. Beware of the same thing on Friday!

I don't pitch under trees if I can help it

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

Hi john19 - you are right about my OLD awning on my avatar but we have upgraded to an Isabella magnum :-)

Just to clarify not going away to Boxing Day but the weather looks like it could be a little windy still

the magnum is a very strong awning if put up and secured with storm straps however what it does not do or any other awning is to stop the wind pushing it hard against your van possibly causing the poles to dent it and even the awning rail screws to pull out in severe storms. If the wind gets into the awning in this weather you will almost certainly get into trouble.

At Fforest fields we watched in amazement as a big

twin axle van was "shrink wrapped" in its own awning

by the wind! Other caravans that did not have their

draught skirts fitted and pegged, saw their awnings

inflate then rip the pegs out and beat the lot against

the caravan walls and roof.

Last year at Fraisethorpe a couple turned up with an oldish van and 3 kids. It was blowing a gale and he insisted the awning went up and didn't care as his van was old and the awning was pretty old as well so if it got damaged he didn't care as he had 2 good storm straps. We offered to help but he refused and became quite belligerent.

We sat in our little van (awningless) and watched as his oldish awning took off and smashed into his neighbours lovely new van and we found out a couple of days later our belligerent neighbour had no insurance. Bottom line is, wait till the wind dies down or just don't put it up.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

A properly erected Magnum will stand up to almost anything that your van will. I'd wait until the storm has passed, but if you must put it up then obviously protect it with the van as much as possible. The tabs under the windows with Isalink connectors are an important part of the strength as well, (But you must use the proper connector system with give in it, not just a short guy rope which will risk tearing and damage to the awning. Cross guying inside from the top corners to opposing ground corners is also a very good way of strengthening the structure. Always use the regulator tabs. I have seen a number of isabella awnings (and others) where the roof has been damaged by the over the top storm straps. Nothing would convince me to use one of these over the roof canvas. Attached to the frame in such a way that they cannot fret against the canvas yes but not otherwise. Internal cross guying from corner to corner can impart a huge amount of extra strength to any tent or awning.

this links may be useful especially as it also tells you what not to do. http://www. isabella. net/uk/support/tips/other-tips http://www. isabella. net/uk/accessories/spare-parts?GroupID=&PageNum=2

Daft as it sounds I have seen large fit men lifted clean of their feet by sails that have about the same area as a Magnum in the sort of winds that are predicted. Your choice.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

No comment yet from Kontikikid . .

I thought he liked pitching (&rolling) in bad weather

Edited by old hand

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We are siiting in the CC site at Broadway and have made the decision not to bother with the awning. Certainly wont be trying to put it up today and tomorrow is still looking iffy. We've already had it damaged in the very strong winds earlier this year when we were up in Scotland - fortunately it didn't damage the van but it cost £90 to have the split in the roof repaired

We are parked so that the van doorway is protected from the wind & rain. The bloke next door has got his Magnum up (on the protected side) and its being well battered but holding fast.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We sat in our little van (awningless) and watched as his oldish awning took off and smashed into his neighbours lovely new van and we found out a couple of days later our belligerent neighbour had no insurance. Bottom line is, wait till the wind dies down or just don't put it up.

Exactly, it's not just your awning and van that could be damaged, it's those around you as well.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Do yourself a favour and forget the awning this week. :)

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I'd focus on the potential for trees falling in the area and adjacent rivers and streams causing flooding, looks like this week may not be good for caravanning.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Hopefully the worst of the weather will blow its self out come Boxing Day and the days after leading up to New Years

Sorry to spoil your plans maffff but if you are planning on being away this Friday you should be aware that it will be as bad if not slightly worse than today.

We arrived at Cirencester CC site on Sat for 8 nights and we have a Kampa Rally Pro 260 porch awning up, I purchased all the extras possible for it, these include the vertical poles against the van in the pads of the awning, monsoon poles for the roof, Kampa storm straps that click on to designated points on the awning poles. We've also put our own storm strap that has never been used it's been put into play today! The winds here so far have not been as bad as we've experienced in tents in North Cornwall in June 2007, but it's supposed to get windy again tonight around midnight but dying off in the early hours off the morning. The winds have completely stopped as I type this but the rain is relentless. It's been a day of Christmas movies, fine food and keeping aware of the local weather. Still finding it relaxing though as if I was at home I'd find some jobs to do!!!

Edited by thensum

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Hopefully the worst of the weather will blow its self out come Boxing Day and the days after leading up to New Years

It's supposed to kick off again on Friday. :(

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?