Vectra Or Accord Estate? Or V70 Or.......

Father Ted

Well, I've sold my beloved Estima.

Really sad to see it go, but it just struggled a little too much on hills with the caravan on the back.

Our initial choice of replacement was a Volvo V70, then we looked at Rover 75.

Had a look at a V70 today and the boot seems quite small (compared to what we're used to). I've seen a Vectra online and the boot is bigger and BHP seems sufficient (150).

But then, saw a Honda Accord.

(All estates)

Oh, decisions decisions. ...

I've searched on here and can't find any posts about the Accord. Which may be because no-one tows with one.

The V70 is a no-brainer. I know it will do the job.

The Vectra is the favourite with my Mrs. I'm the only one who likes the V70.

Budget is under £2500. Cars I'm looking at are about 10 years old which isn't a problem to me. Criteria is enough power, reasonable cheap to run and automatic. All else is optional.

2003 Volvo V70 2. 4 gas guzzler.
2011 Bailey Olympus 534.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

Hi i had a vectra 150bhp i found it a great tow i had a lunar solaris mtplm1450

the vectra towed well, 6th gear it needed to be 55/60 mph,had kerbweight of

1550 if i remember right but as the vectra has a large boot everything went

in there,sometimes on reversing clutch would smell a bit overall i loved it and

would still have it but bought a twin axle, cannot help on th accord or volvo

Coachman festival 580-4 -Freelander 1 TD4

Until recently a couple of people at work ran Accords, one 55 plate and an 07. They had considerably more problems during their lives than my Vectra ever did, alternators I think were an issue common to both below 80k miles and other things I cant recall. I had a 150 cdti estate sri and covered 90k in 2 years without fault though the front shocks were tired by the time it went. Towed very well too.

Had the 1. 9tdi Vectra estate manual box. Don't know if its within your budget Ted but must admit reliable surprisingly powerful tug. Plenty of torque and great MPG but a little basic. Must admit Volvo would be my first choice on instinct owning a 940 Est in the past. Don't know anything about the Honda but are noted for reliability as mentioned . .... Vectra for me . ...

GAS . ..... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

OK, Thanks.

The Honda I've seen is near the top of my budget, but I couldn't find anything about them as a tow car.

When looking up towbars (Towsure) they seem to have a very low noseweight ( 50Kgs). That might be a typo, so I'll dig further.

The Vectra manual should be within budget, but I'd really like another auto. I'm just getting old and lazy :lol:

2011 Bailey Olympus 534.

I changed my Accord I-CTDI Tourer this year for the new Honda I-DTEC CR-V. I bought my Accord new in 2004 and kept it for almost nine years. Best car I have ever had: not a thing wrong with it in all that time. I hope my CR-V serves me as well.

The Accord towed my 'vans brilliantly, and there was never a moment of instability. Fuel consumption solo was excellent: 55 mpg on motorways fully laden, and 38 mpg around town. I got about 32 mpg towing.

If the Accord has been serviced regularly at the maker's intervals then go for it. The Vectra can't touch an Accord. Most comfortable seats I have ever had in a car, and I used to be a Vauxhall fan. I had a 2. 5 V6 Omega before I changed to the Accord, and that was a lovely car, but not as good as the Accord.

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

Another vote for the Vectra here, I have a 1. 9cdti (120bhp) estate. I've had the car for six and a half years, and it hasn't put a foot wrong, and in all that time it has pulled my 1435kg Avante with no problems at all. The boot as others have said is huge.

I've never had an Accord, so can't comment on those, but I do know of two people who sold their Accord's due to gearbox problems when towing (manual).

According tot Which? the Honda Accord is in the top 5% for reliability whereas the Vectra is in the bottom 5%.

Couldn't be much clearer than that. The Accord was third, and the Vectra was second from bottom.

Edited by Robbie

Mmmmm. Lots of food for thought.

Luckily, the dealer with the Accord is on the way to the one with the Vectra. So we can see them both on the same day.

Moving on to towing issues. The noseweight for the Accord seems to be 75Kgs ( been doing some more research tonight). The noseweight for the Vectra is 80Kgs.

My van is 1270Kgs max. 7% is 89Kgs. How important is 7%. What will having a lower noseweight do for the tow?

2011 Bailey Olympus 534.

I tow 1450kg with 75kg noseweight it is rock solid stable. You will have no problems.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Well I disagree Robbie with Which as my Vectra never let me down the 4 years I owned it with great towing economy. Simply got fed up with the car and fancied a change being a 2. 7d se Jaguar S Type and I wish now I had kept the Vectra. .....I can only base my findings on personnel experience and not out of a magazine. ..... Another option to consider with in Teds budget is a Citroen C5. Again had one for a few years and a great Tug with again great MPG plus plenty of room. Did the whole South Coast with this tug. ....

GAS . ....... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

It seems strange that vauxhall is near the bottom, and Honda the top.

I've owned two vauxhall's over 8 years which were totally reliable, and also a Honda accord which was also reliable but I sold it after 18 months due to rust on the chassis and front wings, ok it was a long time ago, but my impression with Vauxhall is that there a reliable car, now very well made, and excellent buys used.

For some strange reason modern Accords are expensive used, and should they go wrong I would expect the spares to be expensive also.

I fish with a chap who is on his second Large Vauxhall and he is highly delighted with his car, its fully loaded and to me looks like a quality car, attractive inside and out, he says he bought it for around half price new just over a year old and has commented on the excellent power from the diesel.

Personally from a towing point I would be looking hard at the Volvo, I do know the newer D$,D5 engines give out max torque over 300 pound feet at only 1500 rpm, which is what you want from a towcar.

Accords hold their prices because of their reliability.

I don't think its just their reliability, but the rarity.

My Xtrail sold for £12 near enough bought 4. 5 years earlier for £17K.

The dealer told me the T31 was in short supply and held onto its value as a result, on the other hand the cashcow is numerous and residuals are poor. Both models are reliable

As for Accord reliability I do know that "Desmo" had some issues with his recently departed accord, replaced with a CX-5.

Vectra's etc are numerous being fleet cars, cars are cheap and so are spares.

I never keep my jap cars for longer than 5 years as spares can be expensive.

I had a 2007/07 i-CTDi Accord Tourer Sport which towed a 1420kg Provence on a max noseweight of 75kg without problems. However I had to get rid of it as the new Provence was to noseweight heavy. The only thing i noticed was that the rear suspension I felt was a little soft when towing particularly on bouncy type roads, but then I had come back to Honda after having a Mondeo with SLS.

It was a comfortable car and the dashboard imo is simplicity itself, with chunky buttons. I also had a fixed towbar fitted after my fitter used a rig to see if the rear parking sensors would be activated by the bar in the sensing zone. He uses this on cars wuth thses sensors, and then advised accordingly.

I had a problem with the front ABS sensor which was replaced under warranty, but that was the only problem I encountered. My local Honda dealer is very good and should charge £96 per hour, although I get it for £75per hour. I have since had an iCTDi CRV and now on a i-DTEC CRV, although looking at moving from Honda now, as I am unsure of the new shape CRV.

Never had a diesel Vectra or Volvo, so cannot comment on those I'm afraid.

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

My father in law had a 58 Vectra from brand new as a company car, he just had it replaced a couple of weeks ago. In the time he owned it he done 130000 miles in it the only problem he ever had was a faulty alternator, other than that it was a very reliable car. Much better than my previous Mondeo which had less milage but one hell of a lot of problems.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Honda Accord iCDTi estate 2004, 54 plate. Nice car bit soft on the back suspension but the boot was a fair size and the electric tailgate was great when you've got your hands full. I had to have the timing chain replaced at 160,000 miles and it was never right after that - done by a Honda main dealer. Numerous problems afterwards - loss of power etc - spares are expensive. One dealer told me I needed a new high pressure fuel pump - cost £2,000 without fitting !! Sold it with 198,000 on the clock.

With regard to fuel economy - I don't know how Robbie got 55mpg on the motorway fully laden - unless he was driving at 45mph. Mine used to do about 38-40mpg average but dropped to about 23-25 towing Bailey pageant moselle at around 1250kg. Max towing limit on the accord is low at 1500kg.

Hope this helps.

Well i've got a 02 V70 T5, which has a max tow of 1800kg, and pulls along fine, i've had it just over a year and put 6k miles on it, cost me a set of rear shocks on our first outing but I expected that, and at £60 wasn't bad. I gave £1k 15 months ago. My friend has a V70 D5 and it has bags and bags of low down torque. I wish i'd have bought the D5 purely for the economy. i get about 20mpg when towing and 24mpg when solo, but car is only used for short trips and towing round the lakes and cross the pennines.

My brother had a vectra and his really struggled, needed exhaust manifold as it had cracked, and wasn't that comfy.

Can't comment on the accord, but i've got friends with 10 year old jap cars and they're all rusting underneath.

I would pick the volvo or the accord, but it would all depend on each vehicle.

On the French autoroutes with my Accord Tourer fully laden with wine etc. it was easy to achieve 55mpg at the maximum speed. Running around on the urban cycle I got 38mpg with no effort.

Did you get your Accord new? 160,000 miles before having a serious problem is not bad at all. I got my Accord new in March 2004 and I ran it in properly. After a few thousand miles it's necessary to give it some welly without over revving. I also had mine serviced at the correct intervals by my supplying dealer.

I can only comment on the Vectra, I have a '57 plate 1. 9 CDTi (120) and at 106000 miles I have just had my first fault- a worn out alternator clutch and that only cost me £149 to have repaired at my local garage.

As a tow car she is great, returning a pretty decent 53mpg solo and when towing 35mpg although 6th gear is not able to be employed much when towing unless your going down hill as I feel the car does'nt really run well in 6th below 55mph.

I find the comfort of the seats suit me fine as I do like a firm seat and even on the entry level cars the drivers seat is fully adjustable.

I intend to keep this car until she gets to 130000 and replace her for an equivalent Insignia. My previous Vectra, a '99 1. 8 petrol was sold on at 120000 and went on to serve as a taxi for 2 faultless years with its new owner.

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

Robbie,

No, I bought my Honda with at about 4 years old with around 90k on the clock - I never buy brand new as you lose too much money, especially with the mileage I do !

I never got over 42mpg from my Honda - even driving at 60 on the motorway - you must have a magic touch. I was disappointed that I only got to 160k before major issues - Japanese reliability etc. I have previously run Citroens - 3 bx's, two Xantia's and a C5 auto. The last BX and first Xantia I took to over 200K with no major issues - not even a clutch replaced and I did tow with them.

I had a Peugeot 807 2. 2HDI but had loads of problems with the DPF and electrics - luckily, someone wrote it off.

I did look at the Vectra Estate and agree that the boot is massive but the towing limits are too low and the long rear overhang put me off.

VECTRA every time, we had a new 07 plate, it was and still is the best car we've had, since then we've had 10 plate Mondeo titanium which was a very good car but not quite as economical as the Vectra an now have a 13 plate Antara SEnav, biggest load of cr-p we've ever had the misfortune to drive and so thirsty, Vauxhall really dropped one of those round things with this one, when they launched it it should've been off Cape Kennedy.

You won't go wrong with a Vectra, can't say much about the Volvo or Honda, never had one.

We towed a Bailey indiana with the Vectra, coped very well indeed.

Phil

Being four years old when you bought it I would guess it wasn't looked after as it should have been. Mine was serviced by the main dealer at the correct intervals and it was bombproof. It's important that the correct grade of engine oil is used and changed regularly, My CR-V has just been in for its first service and I hope it is as reliable as was my Accord.