Map Moan

Went looking for a European Map/atlas/road atlas.

For me, the most important thing is the scale, as in 'Miles to the Inch'

Not as in 1:9000000, whilst I understand ratios, I cannot immediately decide that 1:trillion is just what I need.

Being a cheap skate I would buy off eBay a two year old one for pennies, roads don't alter much do they? Hopeless, none have the scale mentioned, just reams of worthless tat, 'easy read' 'multi scale' 'clear' even where the nearest McDonalds is!

Even looking on the shelves at WH Smith, never found a scale in English. I'm after about 4 to 6 miles to the inch.

The Philips Navigator are a bit too large, for European coverage it would be huge and heavy!

Can anyone recommend? Thank you

It's the future - paper is worthless and everything is ready built for your phone.

As for Atlas reading, it's a lost art that needs a revival, you can't get lost with a map and the sun ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Can't recommend a particular map book, but the (approximate) scales you want are:-

4 miles/inch = 1:250,000

5 miles/inch = 1:320,000

6 miles/inch = 1:380,000

if you decide to go looking again (I suggest AFTER Christmas!)

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

I am not sure Continental Europe does miles!!!! I have never quite understood why the UK is half metric and half imperial!!!

Just buy a Michelin Atlas, it will all become clear as you travel along.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

No easy way around this, 1:250000 is about 4 miles to the inch, but you will know this, as you say, from knowledge of ratios. (If you have a calculator divide the second number by 63360, not much help I know).

The only solution is to become familiar with the metric ratios and measurements as a concept, as we should have done some forty years ago, but as someone said at the time 'lets wait until the old people die'. What a hotchpotch of measurements we have at present.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

I am not sure Continental Europe does miles!!!! I have never quite understood why the UK is half metric and half imperial!!!

Just buy a Michelin Atlas, it will all become clear as you travel along.

David

That's why France seems so big, then? They can't measure properly!! :D

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Try Amazon for Philips Multiscale ring bound atlas for about £12.

Scale is 12 miles per inch or 1:750,000

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm a product of the mismatch - I was at school in the years not long after metrication and was taught the metric system, but everyone around me used the imperial system so I find I can work in either but it does get confusing at atimes.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

If we go metric what will happen to mint imperials ?

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Hi to all of you trip planners.

As Honk says,it is all geared up to your phone. BUT. Try planning a trip from one side of the uk to another on a small screen.

I personally use a 2. 5 miles to 1inch A-Z Super Scale of Britain and Northern Ireland.

It is worth every penny of the £14. 95 that I paid for it in January of 2011.

It has info at the flick of a few pages,something that a Signal Dead mobile cannot give you.

I also have two European atlas/map books,one is the AA 2011 Road Atlas for Europe,a bargain at £11. 99 from WHS the metric scale 1:900000. That equates to 0. 0704 inches to the mile or 14. 2045 miles per inch.

The other is a Philip's 2011 Multiscale Europe and that was also a bargain at £11. 99 from WHS.

Yes the metric scale is an issue but not the end of the world.

Try this converter. www. csgnenetwork. com

I found that it was quick and easy to use and gave multiple other conversions all in the one window.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Steve. An interesting question. Because they are Elliptic, they will probably be sold by size and base upon the dimensions of their respective major and minor axis.

There-again,they might be sold on an average weight per each, in grams.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Mmmm the great circles of a mint imperial. ....

My present AA map of Britian is no more than 2 or 3 miles to the inch, it has the A1 shown but few motorways :-)

There must be an equivalent for Europe? 6 miles to the inch is no good.

The pound shop has some 2013 British Isle maps, guess how much? :-)

If you have a smartphone you can download most of the maps you will ever need for free. All you need to do then is to turn on your GPS - you DO NOT need to use data.

Otherwise buy the Michelin Atlas of France (if that is mainly where you are going, or buy the Michelin individual regional maps. The Phillips atlas is good but far to often the bit you need is on the spiral and it tends to fall apart too easily.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Mmmm the great circles of a mint imperial. ....

My present AA map of Britian is no more than 2 or 3 miles to the inch, it has the A1 shown but few motorways :-)

There must be an equivalent for Europe? 6 miles to the inch is no good.

The pound shop has some 2013 British Isle maps, guess how much? :-)

Hi iwm. Are you mistaking Mint Imperials with Polo Mints? Polo Mints are a very mini version of a Baggle shape.

The reason that the European maps and Atlas are such a small scale is because they would need sheets the size of the old Broadsheet Newspapers to just fit part of France onto. France,Spain and Portugal would need a sheet the size of the back doors of an HGV.

If you have a smartphone you can download most of the maps you will ever need for free. All you need to do then is to turn on your GPS - you DO NOT need to use data.

Otherwise buy the Michelin Atlas of France (if that is mainly where you are going, or buy the Michelin individual regional maps. The Phillips atlas is good but far to often the bit you need is on the spiral and it tends to fall apart too easily.

Hi Woodentop. My Philip's Atlas has a white neutral edge where the spiral is located. Indeed there is no part of it that is lost in the area of the spiral. All the data and legends are not at all impinged upon by the spiral.

The one thing that cannot possibly happen with a printed Map or Atlas is the loss of signal,unlike with a mobile phone.

most towns and places that you will want will be on the spiral binding of any map --its sods law. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Satellite navigation is excellent, mobile phone gps and maps excellent, but nothing beats a good quality map when things go wrong, but more importantly is being able to read it!

So many young people today cannot read a map. It's a skill soon to be lost I think. :(

Mustn't forget the 6 P's

P#ss poor planning = P#ss poor performance

My AA map book is 2. 3 inches to the mile, the search continues. My main gripe is they don't put the scale on the front cover so I can see at a glance what to expect inside. It would make buying on eBay simple.

Can't be doing with fiddling with a phone.

Great circles I refered to was a take on the lines of Longitude passing through the poles. Mapping/Longitude? No matter

I just love looking at maps, I can stare at them for hours just thinking. Sometimes, I just stare

You will have to suck and see!! :P

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

We use the Michelin Europe atlas for the bigger picture Michelin Atlas Routier France at 1-200000 sits on the co-pilots knee and we have satnav. We still get lost

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Reminds me of when timber went metric. I went to the local merchants for a 6ft length of 2x1. 'Sorry mate' the guy said 'we're metric now, it's 50mm x 25mm'. OK, I said, I'll have a 2 metre length. 'Sorry mate' he says 'we only do it in 6ft lengths'

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

The only solution is to become familiar with the metric ratios and measurements as a concept, as we should have done some forty years ago, but as someone said at the time 'lets wait until the old people die'. What a hotchpotch of measurements we have at present.

Gordon

Yeap . ... what a hotchpotch we have . ....

As a Picture Frame . ... I buy my glas in a standard size of . ... 48" x 36" . .... but it's . ... 2mm thick . ....

:(:(

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

It's the future - paper is worthless and everything is ready built for your phone.

As for Atlas reading, it's a lost art that needs a revival, you can't get lost with a map and the sun ;)

H.

Er Honk ,- what sun ?

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

You will have to suck and see!! :P

;)

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Reminds me of when timber went metric. I went to the local merchants for a 6ft length of 2x1. 'Sorry mate' the guy said 'we're metric now, it's 50mm x 25mm'. OK, I said, I'll have a 2 metre length. 'Sorry mate' he says 'we only do it in 6ft lengths'

Similar story: Needed exactly 2 x 10' lengths of timber, got it home and it was about 2" too short.

I took it back, to be told " Metric feet now mate" :o

Bailey Orion News & Information -