Hand Brake Conversion

discodunc

Has any one changed the old fashioned push button handbrake for the new type, spring loaded Euro Hand Brake

We have the old style on the stellar and it's too stiff/hard for my wife to put on or off with her bad back. I find it quite hard as well, although the dealer has checked it and said its normal.

She wants to take the van away on her own but at the moment can't, unless I can make the brake easier to apply. .

Most of my plant trailers have the spring loaded hand brake, and to be honest, a properly maintained and lubricated push button lever takes far less effort than a spring loaded one. Also, with a spring loaded lever, the last part of the lever travel, when applying and releasing the brake, can be quite violent unless you have a very firm grip on the lever, I have hurt my wrist a couple of times by not concentrating and holding the lever firmly enough.

Have agree a spring loaded handbrake is not that easy to operate. I find I have to get behind it and use 2 hands usually.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

That's interesting you say that.

The handbrake on our Delta is a lot easier than the push button one on the Stellar, and both are adjusted properly.

She can operate the euro hand brake just fine, but can't even release the button on the other brake. That seems spring loaded as well.

Can the hand brake be swapped. The chassis looks the same so I would think it should be possible

Would a 12" steel extension tube, with a roll-pin set across it to depress the button not be the easiest solution?

Or some bodge to achieve the same increased leverage.

Edited by JTQ

We have the spring loaded type and will second that the last part of moving it can be hard and quick, catching you out.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

pardon me if this is telling you how to suck eggs,but you do know that you have to pull on the handbrake & press the button at the same time ??as this action releases the tension on the ratchet & allows the button to be depressed easier :blink:

I have the button type and always keep the whole mechanism well lubricated and it works like a dream. - Yours may just need a darn good seeing to?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks dreadly, I'll strip it down, rebuild it all and reset the brakes, probably after Christmas when the monsoon is over!

I'll see if that is any better

Thanks

Thanks dreadly, I'll strip it down, rebuild it all and reset the brakes, probably after Christmas when the monsoon is over!

I'll see if that is any better

Thanks

I don't do it myself. .. :D I have a caravan medic, I do regularly apply spray white grease though.

Monsoon. . :o Our electric is flicking on and off, it's a matter of time I guess.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi