Proposed Mots For Caravans By Eu

John B

Dear Friends,

I just signed the petition "Force EU to abandon MOT's for Caravans." and
wanted to ask if you could add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to me and the more support we can get behind it,
the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the
petition here:

https://you. 38degrees. org. uk/petitions/force-EU-to-abandon-mot-s-for-caravans

P. S. Please can you also take a moment to share the petition with others? It's
really easy - all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on
Facebook or Twitter and other caravan forums.

https://you. 38degrees. org. uk/petitions/force-EU-to-abandon-mot-s-for-caravans

Also, please read the response from the Caravan Club here
www. caravanclub. co. uk/advice-and-training/can-we-help/mots-for-caravans-faqs

Thank you

John B

Not likely to happen. ...

As per Caravan Times

Caravan MOT tests 'looking unlikely' after EU vote, says NCC

"It looks like caravans will be spared the MOT treatment"

Thursday, 19, Dec 2013 05:17

by Chris Jefferies

European Parliament proposals to introduce compulsory MOT-style tests are "unlikely" to come to fruition, according to the National Caravan Council (NCC).

The industry body made this claim today (19 December), following recent developments in Brussels that saw O1 and O2 trailer categories removed from the European Roadworthiness Package.

This news will come as a relief to caravan owners and industry alike. Earlier this year the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club moved to oppose this development.

However, before we can all breathe a sigh of relief, the decision will have to be officially approved on 21 January.

Alicia Dunne, Deputy Director General at the NCC, said: "The NCC Directorate, with the support of both consumer clubs, has engaged in extensive lobbying of all UK MEPs, members of the TRAN committee, the UK Minister for Transport, and the Department for Transport to support the industry's case against the introduction of MOT-style test for O2 trailer caravans."

After a long and hard-fought battle, it seems like the end is in sight.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I'm sorry if this was a re-posting, but I could not find any previous reference to this topic on the forum. However the response, linked, from the Caravan Club, dated 20 December 2013, is therefore very up to date and does give well argued responses to the various aspects of he proposals. Even if you have a preference for the proposals, it is worth reading the response from a respected and knowledgable organisation.

Regards,

John B

John. .....very few of us read CC Forum as so much rubbish printed and the format is not user friendly. ..........Lots of us here on CT are for a Caravan MOT type inspection if it can be controlled. ................which is unlikely without compulsory identification of each and every caravan,,,

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Agree !! basic safety on caravan running gear especially tyres is a fantastic idea imo not sure if that needs to extend to other items in the caravan tho. malc

Every trailer/caravan/horsebox/etc should be tested as i'm sure alot are never maintained beyond a cursory glance once in a blue moon.

Edited by cma

Afraid I can't support the petition against caravan M. O. T. s . Pre 1960 cars and motorbikes no longer need a MOT and I'm not happy about that either. I maintain my 1950 Triumph motorbike but I still get a mate to look it over and for the same reason a qualified caravan fitter looks at my caravan once a year. We have all seen the overturned caravans at the begining of the season that are possibly due to mechanical falure, tyres, bearings or such like. Or inexperience/ going too fast.

Anyway that's my thoughts. Regards Paul.

Anyone that thinks this is going to be inexpensive and straightforward is kidding themselves.

How many times have you put a perfectly roadworthy car in for an MOT to have it failed on some vague notion by a mechanic who thinks he can screw a few hundred out of you to "fix" the vague notion he came up with.

A prime example being my 19 year old daughter,despite my protests putting her car in for an MOT at KwikFit.

Of course she got the call that it had failed on "too much play on a ball joint".

I called them and told them I didn't believe a car just under 3 years old with 18 k on it had a dodgy ball joint and I was coming to collect it to get it MOT'd elsewhere.

Mysteriously,by the time I had arrived 30 minutes later it had passed,and the ball joint was now an advisory!!

The car was put into the garage,as still under warranty and no fault was found.

I am not saying there aren't good guys out there but. ...........

Anyone that thinks this is going to be inexpensive and straightforward is kidding themselves.

How many times have you put a perfectly roadworthy car in for an MOT to have it failed on some vague notion by a mechanic who thinks he can screw a few hundred out of you to "fix" the vague notion he came up with.

A prime example being my 19 year old daughter,despite my protests putting her car in for an MOT at KwikFit.

Of course she got the call that it had failed on "too much play on a ball joint".

I called them and told them I didn't believe a car just under 3 years old with 18 k on it had a dodgy ball joint and I was coming to collect it to get it MOT'd elsewhere.

Mysteriously,by the time I had arrived 30 minutes later it had passed,and the ball joint was now an advisory!!

The car was put into the garage,as still under warranty and no fault was found.

I am not saying there aren't good guys out there but. ...........

Just a "kwik" question. ............Why didn't you take the vehicle to a main dealer in the first place for the MOT, you obviously trusted them with any warranty work ?

Wether a car fails or passes a MOT it is always down to the testers opinion. They are controlled very tightly by VOSA and MOT testers do not want VOSA breathing down their necks or risk losing their MOT licence. Admititly your case with your daughter does sound somewhat dodgy but I would hope and guess it was the exception to the rule.

Cheers

A bit like my brothers car, a few years back . He had Nealy let the MOT run out, and could only book it in there (kwik fit) that day as other stations were all full.

Need less it failed on worn shock absorbers . So I said fine change them, they then said come back in a few hours it will be all done.

I said that's ok I will sit and watch your man change them. So they changed them, after lots of excuse about how long it would take, and I would be better coming back later.

So we then got the MOT, and a large bill for the shocks, at that point I gave the man the receipt for 4 shock absorbers they had fitted less than two weeks before.

He was not happy about this, and said I should have told him they were new, I said but you told us they were worn out, so must be faulty so must need changing.

Needles to say we did not pay for the work, and I think if I had not insisted on staying, no parts would have been changed.

Roger

1998 V70R and 2002 Volvo V70 D5

• 3 weeks later...

Just a "kwik" question. ............Why didn't you take the vehicle to a main dealer in the first place for the MOT, you obviously trusted them with any warranty work ?

Hi Gaz the "despite my protests" bit is why it didn't go to the dealers,I basically told her this was going to happen before it did and not to put it in to KwikFit.

:) And the boys in blue didn't let me down!!

Afraid I can't support the petition against caravan M. O. T. s . Pre 1960 cars and motorbikes no longer need a MOT and I'm not happy about that either. I maintain my 1950 Triumph motorbike but I still get a mate to look it over and for the same reason a qualified caravan fitter looks at my caravan once a year.

And presumably, having had your van looked at by the qualified caravan fitter you are satisfied that your caravan is fit to be on the road. How is what you do any different from what the vast majority of us do in the form of annual servicing? Why would we need to pay further for an 'MOT' style test?

We have all seen the overturned caravans at the begining of the season that are possibly due to mechanical falure, tyres, bearings or such like. Or inexperience/ going too fast.

Driver error is probably the cause of most of the relatively small number of such incidents. How will an MOT style test preclude inexperience or poor driving skills?.

Edited by happynomad

Afraid I can't support the petition against caravan M. O. T. s . Pre 1960 cars and motorbikes no longer need a MOT and I'm not happy about that either. I maintain my 1950 Triumph motorbike but I still get a mate to look it over and for the same reason a qualified caravan fitter looks at my caravan once a year.

And presumably, having had your van looked at by the qualified caravan fitter you are satisfied that your caravan is fit to be on the road. How is what you do any different from what the vast majority of us do in the form of annual servicing? Why would we need to pay further for an 'MOT' style test?

1. ..To get the benefit of it own number plate & thereby onto the police number plate recognition. For theft deterence the more elaborate caravan VIN would be tied in.

2. ..You & I may get an annual service but not everyone does thus providing hazards for all of us.

We have all seen the overturned caravans at the begining of the season that are possibly due to mechanical falure, tyres, bearings or such like. Or inexperience/ going too fast.

Driver error is probably the cause of most of the relatively small number of such incidents. How will an MOT style test preclude inexperience or poor driving skills?.

. 3. .. it wont but I dont wish to be a part of someone elses overturn accident that was caused by lack of maintainence.

& my opposing thoughts, Paul

Regards to LucKyTrucker & Paul

David

Swizz

Just a reply on Kwik Fit off OP.

My experience has been very different.

I have been using them for 5 years as they have the motability contract.

I had the misfortune to have an explosive tyre blow out on the A9.

Stranded I had no option but to pay the eye watering £170 for 2 tyres.

Qwik Fit price £120!!!

I showed the Qwik Fit guy my spare wheel he passed it as OK-no attempt to rip me off.

Similarly 2 13 inch trailer tyres fitted in 15 minutes £60.

They said my wheels were rusty hence tyres might not seal and agreed if I got the tubes they would fit them for free!

I know they get a bad press.

It has not been my experience of 14 tyres fitted by them in 5 years :)

Blow out was on the caravan

• 4 months later...

A bit like my brothers car, a few years back . He had Nealy let the MOT run out, and could only book it in there (kwik fit) that day as other stations were all full.

Need less it failed on worn shock absorbers . So I said fine change them, they then said come back in a few hours it will be all done.

I said that's ok I will sit and watch your man change them. So they changed them, after lots of excuse about how long it would take, and I would be better coming back later.

So we then got the MOT, and a large bill for the shocks, at that point I gave the man the receipt for 4 shock absorbers they had fitted less than two weeks before.

He was not happy about this, and said I should have told him they were new, I said but you told us they were worn out, so must be faulty so must need changing.

Needles to say we did not pay for the work, and I think if I had not insisted on staying, no parts would have been changed.

Roger

That is brilliant!! I love it!!

• 1 month later...

A safety check of some description should be compulsory in my own opinion, just to make sure that the caravan isn't a danger to other road users as well as the owner, maybe one every 2 years due to the limited use of the product?

Edited by Caravantech

Ditto, I have no objecion to MOT, especially seeing all the mossy specimans parked up on some drives with crazed tyres which makes me shudder that the owner could clean off the green, and try and drive with the perished tyres. .

A safety check of some description should be compulsory in my own opinion, just to make sure that the caravan isn't a danger to other road users as well as the owner, maybe one every 2 years due to the limited use of the product?

Excuse me from being cynical, but a compulsory MOT would benefit your organisation wouldn't it?

We already have regulations that cover it which says a trailer must be road worthy and you can be prosecuted if not . Why do we need more regulations .

IMO They need to tighten the regulations before EU does . More checks by the police and VOSA and people nicked if found to be illegal . Tyres changed after 10 yrs on all road vehicles .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Excuse me from being cynical, but a compulsory MOT would benefit your organisation wouldn't it?

not excusing needed :), its just my own personal opinion really, I think it would be unfair to impose a yearly MOT on a caravan for the general limited use that they get, as I say, a 2 yearly check to me seems more plausible, but it should be a "safety" check, so chassis, lights and gas pressure checks at minimum make sense to me.

Though the MOT idea would certainly would benefit any company in theory, though mainly financial, which doesn't benefit the customer.

Most Insurance companies have in the smallprint a clause that requires a caravan to be serviced as part of the conditions of Insurance.

To legally be on the road it must conform to the current legislation about being roadworthy.

I do not see where a gas pressure test will enhance the roadworthiness of a van, nor testing the electrics apart from the road lights.

Edited by Brecon

not excusing needed :), its just my own personal opinion really, I think it would be unfair to impose a yearly MOT on a caravan for the general limited use that they get, as I say, a 2 yearly check to me seems more plausible, but it should be a "safety" check, so chassis, lights and gas pressure checks at minimum make sense to me.

Though the MOT idea would certainly would benefit any company in theory, though mainly financial, which doesn't benefit the customer.

How would a MOT prevent overloading or speeding with the latter seeming to be the main cause of trailer accidents? I agree on safety but fail to see how a MOT would improve safety by a significant margin as even cracked tyres are not a MOT failure. Anyway i guess the thread is a bit pointless as it has been scrapped by the EU.