Camping And Caravan Club Site At Chertsey Over Christmas

We are booked from Christmas Eve for three nights at the Camping and Caravan Club site at Chertsey.

The weather here at Bognor Regis has been terrible for the last two days with driving rain and a huge gale. I have tried to phone the site to find out what conditions are like at the moment - possible flooding etc but there is no reply. Is any one there who could advise?

Alan

We use it regularly for family visits. We were there 10 days ago. The Thames was really well down so no problems then.

They are usually cleaning about now so may not be near the phones. A search on the net for flood warnings for Chertsey will show any in force at present. Read them carefully as last years will still be visible.

Hope it helps. P. s. Food at the Kingfisher just over the bridge is quite good pub grub.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

The best way to ascertain if the caravan site of your choice is likely to be affected by flood waters is to use the EA, (Environment Agency’s) information web site or contact them directly.

The river at Chertsey is non-tidal and flooding within that area is controlled to a high degree by the EA by using the locks to control water levels. The EA use some parts of sparsely populated areas as temporary flood plains to reduce or prevent flooding to areas of high population.

There is an EA web site that allows you to drill down and examine the information provided by their river level monitor stations dotted along the Thames from the last 48 hours. The site also provides a predictor of possible flooding, although it is not particularly user friendly. If you can’t figure it out just give them a call, their telephone number is 0845 988 1188.

There are however currently no flood warnings in force for the Chertsey area. Try clicking the following URL link…

http://www. environment-agency. gov. uk/homeandleisure/floods/34678. aspx?page=1&type=RiverAndTown&term=chertsey

As Alan has said, "The food and drink at the Kingfisher pub" on the other side of the river is excellent and will also afford you a riverside view of the "Mid Thames Yacht club" going about their daily doings while you enjoy your lunch.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Sorry to go slightly off topic, although still to do with this campsite. Can anyone tell me what the public transport id like from near this site?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Here you go.

A mile to the nearest bus stop and a mile & a half to the train station.

http://www. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk/campsites/uk/surrey/chertsey/chertsey

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

There's going to be a lot of water coming down the thames in the next couple of days if the forecast is correct so keep an eye on the EA site or even better have a word with the Lockie at Chertsey as he will have up to the minute info on whats happening to the Navigation.

I have a friend moored opposite Home Park at Datchet and His boat was sitting on the bottom a couple of days ago due to the low level of the river where as this time last year they had to wear waders to be able to get ashore.

Are you sure you wish to change from Blue Alert to Red sir? It will mean having to change the bulb

In my view, its not the best site for public transport, other than the immediate local area.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Here you go.

A mile to the nearest bus stop and a mile & a half to the train station.

http://www. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk/campsites/uk/surrey/chertsey/chertsey

There is a bus stop withing a couple of 100 yds on the main road that runs across the site entrance.

There are also railway stations at Addlestone 2 miles, Weybridge about three miles, Walton on Thames about 4 miles, Hersham about 5 miles all with frequent trains direct to London. A day rover type ticket with underground thrown in can be much cheaper than you think. All the stations have some parking but Walton is usually the best we have found with the most trains stopping at it.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

There is a bus stop withing a couple of 100 yds on the main road that runs across the site entrance.

There are also railway stations at Addlestone 2 miles, Weybridge about three miles, Walton on Thames about 4 miles, Hersham about 5 miles all with frequent trains direct to London. A day rover type ticket with underground thrown in can be much cheaper than you think. All the stations have some parking but Walton is usually the best we have found with the most trains stopping at it.

I think that the reason for David's (klyne) question is that he now has a motorhome and dose not want to mess around packing it up when he wants to go out for the day.

Alan

I think that the reason for David's (klyne) question is that he now has a motorhome and dose not want to mess around packing it up when he wants to go out for the day.

Alan

Taxi to the nearest station? :unsure: As we have always had a car with us we have usually used Weybridge.

John.

Taxi to the nearest station? :unsure: As we have always had a car with us we have usually used Weybridge.

John.

Sorry John I hadn't thought of a taxi.

We are off in an hours time and hope that the roads are clear by then.

Alan

Alan

Quite so Alan, thanks for pointing that out and obviously the reason for my question. We have no aversion to using buses and in fact quite like it, especially as we don't pay!!! I have been looking for a base near/in London to visit people in Hounslow and Chertsey seemed a possibility although despite only being 15 miles away the journey looks quite complicated!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels