Any One Tow With A Citroen D S 5

wardleo

The big bonus in using a larger Citroen as a tow car is that it comes with hydropnuematic suspension, so however it's loaded, it's always level. Also since the suspension can be lowered or raised with the push of a switch, it makes hitching up easy. But you won't find the wet suspension in a DS5. All you'll get is steel springs - which from what I've read gives a rather harsh ride. You'll find the 2 litre engine very capable giving excellent performance with good fuel consumption, but you can find the same engine in many other Citroens, Peugeots and Fords.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

• 4 months later...

Depreciation is horrendous, get an ex demo if possible

Hi Wardleo, I tow a Bailey Pegasus 462 with a Citroen DS5 2. 0Hdi 160bhp manual, and it tows very well, I changed from a Citroen C5 tourer VTR+ with the steel springs suspension for 5 years and I was impressed with that, but because the DS5 has slightly firmer springs, I can state that it tows slightly better than the C5.

The max tow weight of the DS5 is 1500kgs with a noseweight of 75 kgs, and it comes with sat nav and a reversing camera as standard, which is great when hitching up.

Depreciation is horrendous, get an ex demo if possible

I was looking at getting a used one.

Hi Wardleo, I tow a Bailey Pegasus 462 with a Citroen DS5 2. 0Hdi 160bhp manual, and it tows very well, I changed from a Citroen C5 tourer VTR+ with the steel springs suspension for 5 years and I was impressed with that, but because the DS5 has slightly firmer springs, I can state that it tows slightly better than the C5.

The max tow weight of the DS5 is 1500kgs with a noseweight of 75 kgs, and it comes with sat nav and a reversing camera as standard, which is great when hitching up.

That's good news, your the first person I have heard of that Tows with the DS5.

Looking into getting one soon, after sitting in one yesterday, also a DS5 2. 0Hdi but I fancy an Auto one.

Hi Captain, by all accounts the DS5 2. 0Hdi auto has the same 1500 kg tow weight and 75 kg noseweight as the manual, so there should be no difference in towing performance.

I was reluctant to purchase the vehicle to start with, as you mentioned there was no other reviews on any of the forums, but I am glad I did, as it tows well, I had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted with dedicated electrics.

by all accounts the DS5 2. 0Hdi auto has the same 1500 kg tow weight and 75 kg noseweight as the manual,

I think you'll find that the 160 6speed manual is 1500Kgs but the 160 auto box is only 1400Kgs.

Hi Phil

Sounds a good tow car then.

Is the westfalia towbar the one Citreon fit?

Is it visible without the towball fitted?

I have twin electrics on my van but I'm thinking of going for single 13 pin on the car and use an adaptor lead.

Are you finding the ride quite firm like the reviews mention?

Sorry for all the questions.

Arb

Tim

I think you'll find that the 160 6speed manual is 1500Kgs but the 160 auto box is only 1400Kgs.

According to Citroen the auto is also 1500kg.

1400 would be fine for me though.

I also found out that the hybrid with 200bhp is only 800kg braked :0

According to Citroen the auto is also 1500kg.

So what they say doesn't agree with their specification. See picture of their brochure. Third line is towed weight. Bottom line is the towball max weight.

post-261-0-28345900-1399383959_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

So what they say doesn't agree with their specification. See picture of their brochure. Third line is towed weight. Bottom line is the towball max weight.

Nice one!

Still waiting for my Brochure in the post.

I guess their websites wrong.

Also checked on Towcar. info and they state the Auto's max Tow weight as 1500

I will be towing approx 1140KG so won't be an issue (if I get one)

Here's a detailed video but sadly not in English

It shows the 180 auto as 1500kgs though. If I was having 1 I would get that for the extra power and torque. Ialso towed with the C5 and liked it but the depreciation was a killer. As said a nice 6 months or 1 year old saves a lot of money I think.

Edited by pagan

It shows the 180 auto as 1500kgs though. If I was having 1 I would get that for the extra power and torque. Ialso towed with the C5 and liked it but the depreciation was a killer. As said a nice 6 months or 1 year old saves a lot of money I think.

I'm looking at a 2 year old 160bhp not too far from home.

I couldn't take the hit on a new one.

I'm looking at a 2 year old 160bhp not too far from home.

I couldn't take the hit on a new one.

My problem with the C5 which was the top of the range auto in the new shape was the towing limit which was 1400kgs and the noseweight 75 kgs as I wanted a bigger van and and it was still in warranty so couldn't risk overloading etc. My Volvo is well capable of my bigger van and is just as comfortable as the citroen. Mine had the hydro elastic suspension as well and did tow level. I just don't understand why citroens have such low towing figures when they are pretty much the same as the ford mondeo.

Hi Tim, I chose the Westfalia detachable because when it is removed you cannot see the receiver at all, the 13 pin electric socket also swivels up under the bumper when not in use.

On my previous cars I always had Witter detachables, good towbars but you could still see the receiver when the bar was removed.

With the Westfalia you can insert it and lock it within seconds, the same when you remove it.

I had it fitted by an Idependant towbar company, as Citroen wanted just short of £1000

Thanks Phil

I had a look on Citroens site and the detachable Towbar is £567 that includes vat and fitting but not electrics, so probably approaching £1000 all in.

I had a quote last week for a westfalia on a C class with dedicated electrics and it was £525 all in, that's more like it :)

Nice to know it's not visible.

Do you have any negative points about the DS5?

A couple of minor niggles re. the DS5, the rear view is slightly limited due to the roof spoiler, but you soon get used to that, and with the rear view camera parking is easy.

Moving from my C5 tourer, the ride is slightly firmer on the DS5 due to the 18" wheels, but the seats make up for that, they are more comfortable than the C5, on good road surfaces the ride is very good, but you do notice it can get a little clunky on poor surfaces,

But after 4 months of owning the vehicle, I am glad that I made the decision to change to the DS5

I purchased mine used from a Citroen main dealer with 10,700 miles on the clock, for £15. 500

There are some good deals around at present if you are looking for a low miles used vehicle.

Thanks Phil

Already got crashie ride from 8th Generation Civic on bad roads, so used to that.

it also has wing in centre of rear window so poor visibility as well.

I've also seen one for £15. 500 at Citroen dealer with 15000 miles.

Edited by captain kipper