Buzzing Due To Having Electrics On - Caravan Just Out Of Storage

Turboman6680

Hi folks

Just a quickie. Taken my 2008 Adria 502DK out of storage today to bolster the accomodation at the house over the festive period.

Just been out and have got the caravan hooked up to the house, went in laid out the bedding strategically to be aired and have put the thermostatically controlled fan heater on however the electric box in the cupboard is buzzing loudly. Switched it on, off, flicked the switch, 'tested' it etc but still remains.

When the fanm heater is off and instead i have the outside light on, it still buzzes but alot more quietly?

Anything to worry about? I've never heard it on site before?

Thanks, David

Check the polarity of the mains connection

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Does the buzzing sound like the current being drawn is arcing across the contacts in the isolating switch, if this is a new noise to you I would get it checked out, as the louder buzz with a higher load could equal more arcing, more heat and eventually inferno!

If it is the isolator it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to change and they are easy to get hold of if you are happy doing the job yourself, someone might be along with a less doom laden opinion shortly though!

First thing to do might be to make sure there are no loose connections, (isolate the power I. e remove the ehu lead so no one can plug it in) and check all the connections in your fuse/switch panel are tight on the 240v circuit breakers

It could simply be that the battery is low after being in storage and the charger is working harder than usual to charge it up.

If you can find the circuit breaker supplying the charger/power supply unit, switch it off. If the buzzing stops, it's just the laminates in the transformer vibrating.

If not, it could be a circuit breaker, most are electromagnetically as well as thermally operated and can buzz, especially if working near there maximum limit.

Try them one at a time to see if you can isolate the cause.

If it does turn out to be one of the breakers check the tightness of the connections.

If that doesn't locate it, unplug the 'van and recheck the tightness of all connections in the consumer unit.

Plug it back in and see if it's stopped.

If not, you need to get it checked by an electrician.

See this thread to see what happens if you leave a loose connection http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90069-bailey-discovery-se-limousin-5-berth/ particularly the picture near the bottom.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

There are many things that can cause a 50Hz buzz. As said the lamination in the step down transformer plus the MCB is a duel device and has both a thermal and magnetic trip and the latter can cause buzzing. Also low battery voltage can mean non switch mode power supplies can cause a radio to buzz.

Locating which box is buzzing will help working out what is causing it. As to if anything to worry about often it is not my electric screwdriver charger has buzzed for last 25 years seen out around 4 sets of batteries finally put to rest when NiCad batteries became unavailable. But also could be sign of something on it's way out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turboman> What was the outcome? I'm with DACS and the charger is simply working harder. ..

I would say this is the most likely cause too if all wiring has been checked. ... if the input voltage was a little high could also be the cause of problem example say mains at your house was at 245+ V which it can easily be then this could be causing the transformer inside the charger to buzz

Hi,

For what its worth -was there a battery fitted to the van at the time ?

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!