Why The 60Mph Limit While Towing?

Woodie106

Surely thats way too low with modern cars? Many 4x4's now can easily top the 100mph mark when solo, so should be able to approach that while towing. 60 just doesn't keep the interest up & makes for a long & tiring journey after which you've got all the set up time once you arrive.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone had a properly matched and maintained outfit each time on the road and the roads were perfect and didn't have truck grooves and a number of idiotic drivers them yes I would agree.

Until then, no way

My car is limited to 155mph, should I be allowed to drive at that as its designed to do so. ...?

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Unless the laws of physics have changed the faster one travels when towing increases the risk of instability. The road traffic laws and regulations probably take into account that not everyone who tows has an inherently stable vehicle.

The law must reflect the lowest common denominator or worst case scenario whether that be the ability, experience and/or skills of the driver or whether it is the way the outfit is loaded.

Edited by DeeTee

Yes, 60mph is probably too low for modern cars - and probably caravans as well.

Unfortunately, it is also far too fast for many of the people driving on todays roads, just as many speed limits are ludicrously low - you have to cater for the incapable, inept and downright stupid.

i think 60mph is fast enough and for thoes going on long journeys just allow more time to get there, just take your time

liverpool fc- boxing and fishing- camping

A local 48 yr old woman died a few weeks ago while she was in her LR disco towing a caravan here in Dorset . From the reports the outfit was ideally matched but things can go wrong and can have serious results .

IMO it is okay towing at high speed until it goes wrong and the present speed is for every ones safety?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

60 is too high in many circumstances. Modern cars cocoon drivers and bring about far too great a feeling of invincibility.

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Being both retired the present speed limit is fast enougth for us as we have plenty of time

Most caravan manufacturers only give approval for speeds up to 60mph. This is because the critical speed above which an outfit will not recover from instability on its own without some form of active intervention is usually around 55 to 60mph.

i think 60mph is fast enough and for thoes going on long journeys just allow more time to get there, just take your time

Yes quite.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Quite a lot of caravans can't stand the current speed limits without breaking up, screws coming out, light bulbs jumping out of the holders, panels cracking and windows flexing sufficiently the two panes are hitting together!!!

Most caravan manufacturers only give approval for speeds up to 60mph. This is because the critical speed above which an outfit will not recover from instability on its own without some form of active intervention is usually around 55 to 60mph.

That was one of the conclusions of the University of Bath study (click on Effect of Speed)

Surely thats way too low with modern cars? Many 4x4's now can easily top the 100mph mark when solo, so should be able to approach that while towing. 60 just doesn't keep the interest up & makes for a long & tiring journey after which you've got all the set up time once you arrive.

Bit of a wind up? :unsure:

Gordon

Edited by Geemac

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Geemac

Do you concur with the OP or are you questioning the statement ?

DeeTee

Sorry I have only just seen your edit.

Edited by DeeTee

Geemac

DeeTee

I think it is a wind up, yes I was asking, and I and I do not concur with the general statements made if they are to be taken seriously. Either way, people are biting, including me.

Bit of a wind up? :unsure:

Gordon

Well done for spotting that one Gordon - was feeling a bit mischiefus so had a bit of light the blue touch paper & run away moment. ...... ;);)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Geemac

DeeTee

Sorry I have only just seen your edit.

I am not used to Chrome yet, changed because of IE 11 upgrade problems which seem to be well documented elsewhere. I just clicked somewhere and the post went. Had to edit quickly, but not quick enough for you :) .

Gordon

Did wonder after I had replied and read your signature . .... +1 to you :D

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

You can tell it's nearly Christmas when old chestnuts like the OP hit the forum :D

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Anecdotally, speed doesn't matter with hydropneumatically suspended cars but I would very much like to know why this is, or indeed if it's an old wives' tale.

Would the University or the Caravan Club care to comment?

Anecdotally, speed doesn't matter with hydropneumatically suspended cars but I would very much like to know why this is, or indeed if it's an old wives' tale.

Would the University or the Caravan Club care to comment?

I have never had a Citroen to actually share your own observations but I have no doubt at all that it is unfounded.

A massive factor is the tow vehicle's lateral stiffness measured at the hitch, I can't see hydropneumatic suspension making any difference to this let alone yielding the infinite stiffness needed for speed not to matter.

No, JTQ, but I've towed with a number of Citroens (since 1974) and I could not make them snake at all, even on an airfield (hence nó one tó hit).

60 is ok, possibly max 70 for a well match combination but the faster the speed the quicker disaster can strike.

I think a number of caravan and a lot of trailer drivers don't know the limit or lane discipline at the moment

I've seen 2 caravans being towed in excess of 70 and in lane 3 on the M5 in the last couple of months. On both occasions the drivers looked like they would have passed their test after 1997 so guessing they didn't have a valid licence either

Having towed/tested numerous vehicles (over 300) you'd be surprised how many (most) are fine up to 60, but become unstable just above. Some are fine well in excess of that, but many aren't(and that's when circumstances (loading/weather/no other vehicles) are perfect).Even with the vehicles that are good, the weakest link is the nut holding the wheel!

Edited by nigel207

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus