Euro Common Sense Maybe?

flashgordon

European Parliament proposals to introduce compulsory MOT-style tests are "unlikely" to come to fruition, according to the National Caravan Council (NCC).

The industry body made this claim today (19 December), following recent developments in Brussels that saw O1 and O2 trailer categories removed from the European Roadworthiness Package.

This news will come as a relief to caravan owners and industry alike. Earlier this year the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club moved to oppose this development.

However, before we can all breathe a sigh of relief, the decision will have to be officially approved on 21 January.

Alicia Dunne, Deputy Director General at the NCC, said: "The NCC Directorate, with the support of both consumer clubs, has engaged in extensive lobbying of all UK MEPs, members of the TRAN committee, the UK Minister for Transport, and the Department for Transport to support the industry's case against the introduction of MOT-style test for O2 trailer caravans."

After a long and hard-fought battle, it seems like the end is in sight.

http://www. caravantimes. co. uk/news/industry/ncc/caravan-mot-tests-looking-unlikely-after-EU-vote-says-ncc-$21383742. htm

I have 3 trailers over 2000kg and the caravan that come under the new EU MOT proposals so I will be very happy if it is shelved.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Still it kept aload of useless highly paid bureaucrats in a job for a bit longer.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Now, I've three old Citroens, and for one of them there is no need ever to have an MOT, which since it's a 1939 car is kind of interesting. If one goes for an MOT, even ón an advisory basis, and it fails, it becomes illegal to drive it; so one doesn't. ......until the crash caused by, oh, something like no brakes.

In France, the MOT (controle technique) on old cars is every 5 years (rather than 2). My old car ín France is therefore covered by this rule. Why not have the same rule in the UK, for all caravans?

Re-testing drivers every five years would be a better idea in my opinion.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Whoa!

Let's not widen this debate(or stray to far off topic) The European Parliament proposed another scheme to empty the pockets of people who enjoy caravanning. The proposal has been defeated.

Whether or not a different scheme should replace it or if caravan inspections should be compulsory is a debate for another time.

Be happy (It's Christmas!) The EU politicians have been thwarted, time to celebrate. :D

Now, if the same politicians voted to make sure the EU accounts were qualified-after 18 years of fraud, corruption and embezzlement- they'd have my full support. ....................................................................

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Caravan MOTs or not - as someone else said "It's the nut holding the steering wheel that causes the problems"

Edited by Highlandman

So most people think that its a good idea to tow an untested one - two ton steel/plastic box down the road at
60 mph. That box/caravan may not have been serviced/checked for three - four - five years and nobody has the right to check that!

I don't see the problem with a caravan MOT.

Alan

So most people think that its a good idea to tow an untested one - two ton steel/plastic box down the road at

60 mph. That box/caravan may not have been serviced/checked for three - four - five years and nobody has the right to check that!

Alan

Of course, because thats what we are all doing. If we didnt think it was a good idea we would all stop and go somewhere to demand that someone tests it. Most people who have caravans or trailers have them serviced either by themselves or by someone else. Lets face it they are not that complex. Its the few,rather than the many who neglect their trailers. The trailer MOT was a sledgehammer to crack a nut. A cure for a problem which didnt really exist.

As for retesting drivers every 5 years, why 5? why not annually, why not 2 years, 10 years. Why at all. ? Maybe you,ll be less keen on that when you repeatedly fail, because youre not as perfect as you think. The systems we have in place now are working fine, I see no reason to demand even more state interference.

The vast majority of road accidents are caused by driver error. Testing driver capability at regular intervals would serve to reduce accidents and needless deaths and injuries on the roads. Of course if everyone on the road was as competent as you and I Alex there would be no problem.

Alan

It's illegal to drive without a licence, mot, tax, or insurance, but thousands of people do it everyday so just how would a caravan mot work? You can be pulled over by the police or Vosa for a check at any time, if your van isn't upto scratch its going to be a long and expensive day, an mot says it was fine on the day it was tested not tomorrow or in five years time so why bother? I have my van serviced and maintained because it makes sense to me, not because big brother says so.

At least the ones who constantly deride the 2 Clubs for taking membership money for doing nothing will see that they CAN have an effect if they act. Now all they need to do is to use their considerable clout to do something about the appaling lack of concern when it comes to making caravans that are fit for purpose. .....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Now that is one post that I definitely agree with Peter. :goodpost:

Alan

:goodpost:

There is no 'problem' with the idea of a caravan MOT but there is a problem with Brussels imposing this idea on British caravanners. Let every motoring and caravan organisation lobby our MP's and see if this idea is feasible and cost effective.

I want US to decide issues of road and vehicle safety NOT the corrupt European parliament and MEP's who probably have no idea what caravan ownership entails.

Just because Germany or France decides to test something why is it automatically A Good Idea it should be law in Britain?

Regards.

Col

I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

It's illegal to drive without a licence, mot, tax, or insurance, but thousands of people do it everyday so just how would a caravan mot work? You can be pulled over by the police or Vosa for a check at any time, if your van isn't upto scratch its going to be a long and expensive day, an mot says it was fine on the day it was tested not tomorrow or in five years time so why bother? I have my van serviced and maintained because it makes sense to me, not because big brother says so.

​First find your policeman/woman---------------------------

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

There is no 'problem' with the idea of a caravan MOT but there is a problem with Brussels imposing this idea on British caravanners. Let every motoring and caravan organisation lobby our MP's and see if this idea is feasible and cost effective.

I want US to decide issues of road and vehicle safety NOT the corrupt European parliament and MEP's who probably have no idea what caravan ownership entails.

Just because Germany or France decides to test something why is it automatically A Good Idea it should be law in Britain?

Regards.

Col

Yes but. ...it's because we are part of the EU. No doubt a referendum will allow us to decide on these issues if we vote to leave. We would,however,suffer the consequences in many other,well rehearsed,areas. .....and didn't the EU parliament come up with the right answer to this issue?

That depends on your point of view. ;)

I'm not against roadworthy caravans per se, I'm miffed because MP's regard the HoC as a satellite of the EU parliament and not a sovereign legislative assembly, so they are delegates not MP's.

I do not accept the EU has the monopoly on Truth and Wisdom.

Regards.

Col

​First find your policeman/woman---------------------------

So who's going to be checking the caravan MOT's then? Automated systems only check on the registration details of the towing vehicle unless you are suggesting that all van's get their own plates, and thats a whole new ball game that I wouldn't want to be playing!

It is already a regulation that any trailer is in a road worthy condition all this MOT requirement is saying the authorities are not doing their job and enforcing the regulations.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

So who's going to be checking the caravan MOT's then? Automated systems only check on the registration details of the towing vehicle unless you are suggesting that all van's get their own plates, and thats a whole new ball game that I wouldn't want to be playing!

Yep! Long overdue in the UK. ....followed by Mot testing.

Seriously, how many more unroadworthy cars would be on the roads if MoTs did not exist?

So much unqualified rubbish about the EU making money out of trailer testing. . Perhaps someone can say how would that work. If MoT stations are anything to go by there is little money in testing.

Or is the moan about owners having to spend money? Really, say £50 every two or three years? If work is needed to pass a test/re-test then, presumably, that work was needed anyway.

Alexbee says: - "Most people who have caravans or trailers have them serviced". Where did you get this fact from?

flashgordon says: - "An MOT says its fine on the day that it was tested not tomorrow or in five years time". So why have anything tested ever? Will you be starting a petition to stop all testing of everything because the test is a waste of time the hour after its carried out?

Alan

Alexbee says: - "Most people who have caravans or trailers have them serviced". Where did you get this fact from?

Honest answer, I just made it up based on anecdotal evidence from this forum and the other camping forum, and the fact that the mobile servicing I use is always booked solid for months. Maybe that just covers responsible owners and I accept there ^could^ be a bunch out there who never bother. Statistically however RTAs involving caravans are not so much according to the CC.