Brittany Ferries - Possible New Lng Super Ferry Order?

Brittany Ferries is poised to sign an agreement with STX’s French shipyard for the construction of “the world’s biggest ferry powered by Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).”

Lloyds Loading List report today:-

The Roscoff-based operator said it was planning to have the ship built “around 2017” within the framework of collaboration with STX on the PEGASIS (Power Efficient Gas Innovation ship) project.

No other details have been released on the new vessel but it is thought to be similar to the one acquired by Finland’s Viking Line at the start of the year from STX’s Finnish shipyard for around €240 million.

Named the Viking Grace, the vessel can carry up to 2,800 passengers and also offers 1,275 lane metres of freight capacity.

Meanwhile, according to a media report, Brittany returned to a break-even position in its last financial year ending 30 September 2013 following accumulated losses estimated at €70 milion over the past few years.

Contacted by Lloyd’s Loading List, a Brittany Ferries spokesperson declined to comment on the report which largely attributed the change in fortune to a 9% increase in passenger traffic during the summer season. Global turnover increased from €365 million to €370 million.

This represents an impressive turnaround for the company, which in September 2012 was embroiled in a dispute with staff over the implementation of a programme of economy measures which brought its services to a standstill for 10 days.

Brittany operates from Roscoff, St Malo, Cherbourg, Caen and Poole to Plymouth, Portsmouh and Poole as well as Cork, in Ireland and Santander and Billbao in Spain.

Interesting to see what routing she gets,,

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Portsmouth- Caen, I think.

Although it doesn't matter to most caravanners, the fast ferry (Portsmouth- Cherbourg) has been put back to the afternoon so that they can get a Portsmouth-Havre run in first. It's slightly bad news for those of us who leave a car at Cherbourg and go foot passenger. ...

• 4 weeks later...

Lloyds Loading List has confirmed order:-

Brittany Ferries has confirmed an order for a €270 million (£225 million) Liquified Natural Gas (LNG)-powered state-of-the-art luxury cruise-ferry.

It claims the 210 metres-long vessel will be "the cleanest, most environmentally-friendly ship to operate in UK waters."

The new ship, which will offer capacity for 80 freight units, has been earmarked to operate routes between the UK and Spain and replace Brittany Ferries’ current flagship, Pont-Aven, which will switch to the Portsmouth-St Malo route.

It will be built at the STX France shipyard in Nantes-St Nazaire and is scheduled to enter service in late-spring 2017.

geoff

p. s. Instead of a 'Duty Free' area they are building a Safefill loading Bay for CT members ( Supporters only?)

• 1 year later...

Just noticed on reading Brittany ferries website that this ferry order has been cancelled along with the conversion of six other boats to LNG, apparently too expensive, maybe they will get VW to reprogram their emissions software.

Apologies if it has already been covered.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

I think they are fitting scrubbers to them instead of conversion to LPG they have done 4 of their vessels over last winter

I was looking forward to trying it out, the Pont Aven was destined to be replaced by it & transferred to the St Malo route, wonder what happens now ? .

Think they might be trying to cover both routes with the Economy boats

Just noticed on reading Brittany ferries website that this ferry order has been cancelled along with the conversion of six other boats to LNG, apparently too expensive, maybe they will get VW to reprogram their emissions software.

Apologies if it has already been covered.

I has not appeared in my Trade Press so will try and check it out. ..

geoff

Think they might be trying to cover both routes with the Economy boats

Don't like that idea at all .

Cheers Geoff, Shame about that I was looking forward to sailing on it. They are probably scouring the worlds second hand shipping markets looking for a replacement, another 'econimie' boat for the fleet.

As I understand it, there may be no need to fit scrubber towers to existing tonnage.

I have heard that there is now ultra low sulphur heavy oil available and the DFDS ships out of Dover are trailing it at the moment.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona