Damp Reading In Washroom Unicorn Ii Barcelona

Matt Price

We've just had our van serviced, first one since we had it last November. As part of the service they took damp readings around the van and found that just in front of where the wash basin is in the washroom they recorded a level of 18%. The engineer said that this could be down to the time of year or that he had just mopped up a small amount of water from bleeding the Alde heating. I've asked for another reading to taken but they want another £30 for the call out charge which seems a bit rich as I just paid them £250 for the service. They're mobile service engineers approved by Bailey.

My question is does this damp reading sound right? I've checked that the shower is sealed which it is, and secondly does another £30 for them to come and recheck the level sound fair as they admitted that it could be down to the spilt radiator water?

BMW 525d M Sport Touring and Bailey Unicorn Cartagena Series III

It would have been more sensible to do the damp readings before splashing water about but there again I'm not a caravan engineer. However if he believes that the reading is OK and it's you that want's a recheck to satisfy yourself then he'll want to charge you for it

The reading is within limits for the warranty - I think Bailey specify that anything below 20% is acceptable and only needs rechecking or monitoring if it's more than that.

Even so I'd guess that if the reading was higher than 20% any recheck would still be a chargeable job, especially if it requires the fitter to come out again. £30 sounds quite reasonable for someone to come out, it's got to be at least half an hour including travel & fuel costs unless he lives next door.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Get your own meter

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

the one thing im more interested in is how he exactly went about damp checking it?, being that is has GRP internal walls, it isn't like a traditional van where the prongs on the damp meter can be pushed into the wall to check for water ingress

So id say the type of damp meter he is using is only going to pick up moisture readings, rather than actual water ingress readings, 18% at this time of year with these weather conditions are perfectly normal.

If it was all the same reading through the caravan then it could be the weather but a elevated reading needs to be checked again in a couple of months.

Possible condensation?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

in fairness you generally find bathrooms in particular carry more moisture than the rest of the van, sometimes this can be exaggerated inside cupboard also, it doesn't always show the same reading all the way through the van

id be 100% confident its just a condensation reading

Are you sure that the shower has not been leaking ?

A number of owners of S2 Unicorns have experienced leaks from the shower at the junction of the shower screen and the rear wall due to inadequate mastic sealing.

The cure is to put a lot of mastic at the end of the bottom channel of the screen where it meets the wall.

I thought ours was OK until we noticed that a small mop that we kept in the small space between the basin cupboard and the shower screen was getting wet.

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

I'm amazed that they had the front to charge £250 for a service!

Whenever I find highish damp readings I also offer to return but I don't charge an additional fee!

It amazes me how these companies manage to keep customers!

Also a reading of 18% is not a major concern! what readings were found throughout the rest of the floor? If they were between 12/16% then I wouldn't worry about a 2% difference. If the rest of the floor was between 6/8% it may be more of a concern.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Thanks all for your comments. The engineer only took floor level readings and I've have been checking fastidiously for a leaking shower cubicle for the last few months with nothing found.

I'm amazed that they had the front to charge £250 for a service! Whenever I find highish damp readings I also offer to return but I don't charge an additional fee!It amazes me how these companies manage to keep customers!Also a reading of 18% is not a major concern! what readings were found throughout the rest of the floor? If they were between 12/16% then I wouldn't worry about a 2% difference. If the rest of the floor was between 6/8% it may be more of a concern.[/

I've just re checked the engineers report and it states readings of 25% found by the toilet and 20% found by the heated towel rail with another reading of 25% on the nearside wheel arch under the bed. Average reading for the entire van of 16%.

Rather worried now. We're booked away at the beginning of Feb for a week. Unsure whether to wait and see or to book it in. Van is stored under cover and always has been. Never smelt anything musty there or seen any black spots. In fact it still smells brand new.

You should be following these readings up, they may drop in the summer but I would make sure you get it rechecked in 2/3 months. Even if you have to pay you may be able to reclaim via the warranty?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and fairly accurate damp meter?

Ebay?

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Thanks again for your replies. I suddenly had a thought in bed last night (not that!), we had within a week of the service just come back from a very wet weekend in Longleat CC. I stored the soaking wet door mats from the awning in the under bed area alongside the nearside wheel arch. I also put both the water roll and the waste master both dripping wet in their bags in the washroom. Just wondering if this might be the cause for the damp, particularly as the 25% reading was by the toilet; the opposite end of the washroom from the shower. As an aside I've just ordered a damp meter and when it arrives I will re check the levels and also reinstall the backrest cushions in the lounge which have just been replaced under warranty.

Which meter did you buy?

For general testing a cheap meter is fine, but if you want dealer like accuracy you need something like a protimeter.

Thanks again for your replies. I suddenly had a thought in bed last night (not that!), we had within a week of the service just come back from a very wet weekend in Longleat CC. I stored the soaking wet door mats from the awning in the under bed area alongside the nearside wheel arch. I also put both the water roll and the waste master both dripping wet in their bags in the washroom. Just wondering if this might be the cause for the damp, particularly as the 25% reading was by the toilet; the opposite end of the washroom from the shower. As an aside I've just ordered a damp meter and when it arrives I will re check the levels and also reinstall the backrest cushions in the lounge which have just been replaced under warranty.

On the practical front. The floor of the Unicorn is a sandwich of marine ply and foam. This is over layed with the plastic flooring. This plastic flooring is not sealed round the edges so any water spilling onto the flooring from say your aquarolls can migrate to the edge and then will spread under the plastic flooring and be soaked up by the plywood. So putting anything wet on them is not a good idea and any spills should be dried up a. s. a. p.

If you do get water between the floor covering and the plywood it then festers away and is trapped drying out very slowly if at all. If your damp meter is of the type with pins these have to be pushed all the way through this floor covering and into the ply to get a true reading. Do not try and use this type on the walls or ceiling as it will not work on the GRP facing.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

18% is nothing to worry about at all.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Which meter did you buy?For general testing a cheap meter is fine, but if you want dealer like accuracy you need something like a protimeter.

I bought a Dr Meter I only need it as a guide in order to establish whether I need to pay the £30 callout for further investigations by the service guy.

Thanks for the advice regarding not storing the waste and water rolls on the floor in future.

18% is nothing to worry about at all.

If you go and buy a piece of seasoned planed timber from B&Q etc that will have a reading of about 17%

I tested a piece i bought a few weeks ago just for curiosity.

Edited by birdman101

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto