Buying A Tow Car Be Careful About How You Pay!

ancell

A large Scots vehicle company has gone bust.

It would appear they tried to stem off the inevitable by asking for large deposits EG £10000!! and curious methods of payment

. http://www. dailyrecord. co. uk/news/scottish-news/scots-customers-anger-after-collapse-2870824

Compare the above with the car manufacturers measured tones in November!

http://cardealermagazine. co. uk/publish/verve-understood-gone-administration/78106

I wonder when Verve stopped taking payments/deposits?

What a rubbish christmas for the staff and people who have paid but got no car.

I would never pay the full sum before I actually had the car in front of me ready to take away. And then only after a quick test drive to ensure everything appeared in order.

With my car bought this year I paid £500 by credit card, some 3 months before delivery, then paid the final sum by debit card. With the car ready to drive away.

???

Verve ceased trading and went into Administration about 3 weeks ago http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-25161792

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Couldn't order the car until she paid in full: unbelievable. Gullible isn't in it, though you do have to feel sorry for her.

However, the serious point is the OP's advice on paying for big ticket items. Pay as little as possible deposit BY CREDIT CARD and balance when you have the keys in hand. There was a forum member on here the other day saying he'd paid an £18000 deposit to a caravan manufacturer who sells direct. Very dangerous.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Couldn't order the car until she paid in full: unbelievable. Gullible isn't in it, though you do have to feel sorry for her.

However, the serious point is the OP's advice on paying for big ticket items. Pay as little as possible deposit BY CREDIT CARD and balance when you have the keys in hand. There was a forum member on here the other day saying he'd paid an £18000 deposit to a caravan manufacturer who sells direct. Very dangerous.

Hi hp. Well, that is not such a difficult exercise in Rocket Science,there are currently only a few. The events from history can be a fantastic alternative to a Crystal Ball.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

To get protection via a credit card, I believe you must pay a minimum of £100.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Shame she never paid the deposit on a card as said .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Not directly related to the original topic but it does raise concerns about how people buy cars

I discovered a scam on Saturday evening when searching AutoTrader and found that the same car (Peugeot 4007) appeared to be for sale at two dealers, one in the Midlands and one in Kent. Identical photos had been used but one was about half the price of the other. Then I realised that the dealer appeared to have listed over 100 cars, all fairly new and all for about half the expected price and I was then able to trace a few others where identical photos had been used. On every one it said 'Private sale, contact only by email' and gave an email address (not that of the dealer). The same cars had also been listed on the dealer's own web site.

Reported to AutoTrader and Sunday morning I got an email thanking me and saying that all adverts had been removed and they had advised the dealer how to improve the security on his own web site as it had been hijacked and used for the scam - I can only assume that funds would be requested before collection and then you turn up at the dealers to find the car doesn't exist. Of course advertising all the cars on a Saturday made it more difficult to trace as how many car dealers sit at home over the weekend monitoring their own web site - they obviously assume it's all working as it should.

Not directly related to the original topic but it does raise concerns about how people buy cars

I discovered a scam on Saturday evening when searching AutoTrader and found that the same car (Peugeot 4007) appeared to be for sale at two dealers, one in the Midlands and one in Kent. Identical photos had been used but one was about half the price of the other. Then I realised that the dealer appeared to have listed over 100 cars, all fairly new and all for about half the expected price and I was then able to trace a few others where identical photos had been used. On every one it said 'Private sale, contact only by email' and gave an email address (not that of the dealer). The same cars had also been listed on the dealer's own web site.

Reported to AutoTrader and Sunday morning I got an email thanking me and saying that all adverts had been removed and they had advised the dealer how to improve the security on his own web site as it had been hijacked and used for the scam - I can only assume that funds would be requested before collection and then you turn up at the dealers to find the car doesn't exist. Of course advertising all the cars on a Saturday made it more difficult to trace as how many car dealers sit at home over the weekend monitoring their own web site - they obviously assume it's all working as it should.

I spotted one very similar a few months ago. they proprted to be a ford dealer but only had second hand 4x4's like X5's & XC90's at about half the price you'd expect them to be. It was so obviously a scam. Can't remember the contact details but remember thinking they were an obvious sign of a scam as well as they were nothing like the actual Ford dealers contact numbers. Went to look the next day while at work & they'd all gone, so i assumed someone at Autotrader had spotted it.

We paid cash for our Motorhome, but it was second hand, so ready to drive away. We had to pay 2 days before pick-up though, having already had the test drive etc. they could have gone bust I suppose in those intervening days, but they didn't. never bought a car for cash that i haven't driven off in there & then. new cars we've had have been on finance & deposits paid by credit card.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................