Touring In Portugal

Hi all.

I'm starting to plan a trip to Portugal next Sept. we will be away 6 to 8 weeks and would appreciate any advice.

We are quite experienced European caravaners but never been to Portugal so it's a clean sheet.

We will probably make it a multi stop trip to see as much as possible, all advice will be welcome.

Ron

:welcome: and I'll move this topic to Caravan holidays Abroad where you will get a better exposure for your post. Best of luck

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Ron, we spend about six months every winter on the Algarve. Our favourite site is Turiscampo just outside the town of Lagos. It is well kept and reasonably priced, it's now in the ACSI book at 16 euros per night, with big discounts for longer stays.

From our experience I would stay away from any Orbiter site. All the ones we have used have been very run down with little effort to improve standards. On every Orbiter site we have stayed on the toilet seats are missing or never fitted. There are many small restaurants away from the tourist areas and they are surprisingly good. Go for the Portuguese menu del dia and it can be very good with 2 or 3 courses for 8 euros inc wine.

Toyota Landcruiser and Fleetwood Heritage 640 ES(T)

I have visited the algarve frequently but without the caravan. Everyone speaks English so very relaxing. Not been further up but friends have and say English not widely used so harder to communicate when you get away from coast and tourist area.

Always had excellent weather even in February.

I prefer to be a few miles inland to avoid the package tours and eat with the locals.

Try steak on the stone and chicken peri peri while you're there :)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

From our experience I would stay away from any Orbiter site. All the ones we have used have been very run down with little effort to improve standards. On every Orbiter site we have stayed on the toilet seats are missing or never fitted.

Hi

The Orbiter sites, and many other Portuguese sites, are certainly of a lower standard than Brits will be used to but they are often in the most interesting areas - Sagres, Sintra, etc.

We have found them run down, yes, but most are clean, and if you wish to get a real flavour of Portugal you will need to go to sites other than Turiscampo. A great site - yes but in an area we found rather "touristy".

English not widely used so harder to communicate when you get away from coast and tourist area.

Try steak on the stone and chicken peri peri while you're there :)

English is spoken less away from the tourist hotspots but the locals are so friendly and helpful it's generally easy to get by.

Don't forget that the Portuguese are the biggest fish eaters in Europe and have some fabulous fish specialities.

Portugal is a great country and wherever you go I'm sure you will enjoy you trip.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Algarve is indeed a wonderful area, with a coast to die for, but to be honest I feel it is very overdeveloped in places. For the 'real' Portugal head further north.

Grease Monkey mentions the Orbitur Group, and as far as many of their sites are concerned he is probably correct. However they do have some good sites with good facilities, Gala at Figuerez da Foz had a new toilet block when we were there in 2009. They are also in the best places, so it might be Hobson's choice. I would think the best thing would be to look at reviews of the sites when planning your routes. Interestingly we had heard that the Orbitur sites were being run down from none other than Bro Goat above, when we ran across him in El Rocio last year, and were surprised. I know he has been to many sites since, so if he says they are mostly ok now, then I would believe him.

There have been a few threads recently on Portugal, and a couple of sites have been well recommended. Evoramente near Evora and the Chicken Run just inland from the Algarve are highly spoken of and are on my list to try sometime.

With 6 to 8 weeks I would recommend a trip taking the whole length of the country. Places we saw and would recommend: Porto, Coimbra, Cascais where the Lisbon summer palaces are and Evora.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

We too are very fond of Turiscampo and have only limited experience of Orbitor but "just about ok" sums up the two we have seen. I dont mind Turiscampo being in a touristy area in fact I would take issue with the description as Lagos is principally a working fishing town with tourists and the surrounding area would look almost "back woods" compared with much of Spain

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Algarve is indeed a wonderful area, with a coast to die for, but to be honest I feel it is very overdeveloped in places. For the 'real' Portugal head further north.

we had heard that the Orbitur sites were being run down from none other than Bro Goat above, when we ran across him in El Rocio last year, and were surprised. I know he has been to many sites since, so if he says they are mostly ok now, then I would believe him.

With 6 to 8 weeks I would recommend a trip taking the whole length of the country. Places we saw and would recommend: Porto, Coimbra, Cascais where the Lisbon summer palaces are and Evora.

Hi

NSBJ has said most eloquently what I was trying to say about the Algarve, and would endorse what he had to say about Portugal further north.

What I was trying to say about Orbitur sites was that yes they are generally run down but as they are often in fabulous places like Sintra Sagres Camina etc and so they should perhaps be checked out and as NSBJ said some do have good facilities (although I can't remember ANY having loo seats) many were kept clean. If we didn't think they were clean we used our own facilities.

When you consider their charges it is amazing that Orbitur make any money, I was talking to a chap this morning, with a motorhome so big it took up two pitches. He had just come from an Obitur site that charged him €9. 00 per night including electricity and (in the bar) free WiFi. With those prices I don't mind using my own facilities.

To cheer up those forced to overwinter in UK we arrived at La Aldea in El Rocio early this afternoon in pouring rain. Having driven through some appalling weather on our way here. In the few minutes that we took to unhitch, wind the legs down and jump in the van we were both soaked to the skin.

Steve.

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all on the site at Evromonte at the moment 8 euro per night free wifi good clean site, hook ups metred so pay extra the site owner says some of the campers were leaving their heating on 24 hours, so now charge what you use so i think thats fair,

so dont kick the backside out of it and you will only pay 1 euro.

Hi all on the site at Evromonte at the moment 8 euro per night free wifi good clean site, hook ups metred so pay extra the site owner says some of the campers were leaving their heating on 24 hours, so now charge what you use so i think thats fair,

so dont kick the backside out of it and you will only pay 1 euro.

Back to wild camping tomorrow

We're touring Portugal at the moment and have been to several great little Dutch-owned campsites on the way down to the Algarve where we are now. I've reviewed them all on my blog which I hope it's ok to post the URL? http://stephjb. blogspot. co. uk

As laurieash says, the site at Evoramonte is nice (and cheap), especially if you drive to the right past the reception building to the proper pitches up the slope.

Beira-Marvao is ok but the shower block doesn't have proper doors so it was freezing in November! Wifi only outside reception and steep slope up into the site, but huge park-anywhere pitches and pretty site.

Our favourite so far was Serro Da Bica at Ourique. Large, powerful, completely indoor showers, large pitches, wifi 1€ a day if you're there for a week but strong signal everywhere. Gorgeous walks along the river Mira from campsite and social time in the subsidised bar every evening.

We're currently in Alvor which is ok but overwhelmed with chainsaw noise most days as they're pruning eucalyptus trees. Smaller pitches though we've managed to get a bigger space by going to the end. Shower block a bit shabby but very clean. Good wifi signal and bar/restaurante on site.

Hi Ron, we spend about six months every winter on the Algarve. Our favourite site is Turiscampo just outside the town of Lagos. It is well kept and reasonably priced, it's now in the ACSI book at 16 euros per night, with big discounts for longer stays.

From our experience I would stay away from any Orbiter site. All the ones we have used have been very run down with little effort to improve standards. On every Orbiter site we have stayed on the toilet seats are missing or never fitted. There are many small restaurants away from the tourist areas and they are surprisingly good. Go for the Portuguese menu del dia and it can be very good with 2 or 3 courses for 8 euros inc wine.

Yep would definitely agree with the comments about Orbiter site's, we have used a few and there very poor .

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS