Passat Rear Suspension

TRIDENT

Hi Folks

For all those knowledgeable people out there.

Passat Rear Suspension

I have a 2003 Passat Saloon that tows my Vendee easily (1400kg).

However I am hoping to find out if any body has fitted additional springs or similar to the rear suspension in order to keep the car level?

Are they fitted for towing only?

If so any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

John

I had a 1. 8T Sport which already had stiffened suspension. Still looked low down at the back and fitted spring assisters from Towsure about £20 - looked and felt a lot better.

John,

We have 2003 Passat TDI PD130 SE to which I have fitted Grayston Auxilliary rear springs. These are progressive coils which fit on location cups inside the original springs. Jack the car up and wind the new springs inside the existing,fit the cups and lower the car. Sometimes the bottom of the shock absorber may need disconnecting to lower the trailing arm enough. The model you need is 38C05 which cost £65 inclusive. Buy them here:-

http://www. springassisters. co. uk/menu. htm

They work well,don't noticeably jack the back of the car up when solo but the car rides level with 70-80kgs on the hitch,awning in the boot etc. I fitted them as soon as I bought the car and they are a sound investment.

Frank

The rubber doughnut coil spring assistors which fit between the coils actually take part of the spring out of use and increase the stresses on the working coils above and below the doughnut. Grayston also manufacture these, but I wouldn't reccommend them.

Edited by Frank

I second what Frank says. I'm looking for some for my Rover 75 Tourer, but they are a bit hard to come by. The rubber thingys (spring assistors I think they are called) are OK, but the rear end can 'hop' out a bit with them, and they affect solo ride quality considerably. Better than nothing though!

Cheers

James

I know this does not help you but:-

The KIA Sorento has self levelling suspension that really works :) Where as the Peugeot 406 need some assistance - another reason why I changed cars.