Kuga, Sportage Or Ix35

gmc15

I am looking to change my wifes car early next year. It must be 4 wheel drive and have a high seating position. The short list is:-

Ford Kuga Titanium 163

Hyundai ix35 Premium 2. 0d

Kia Sportage KX-2 or 3. 2. 0d

The Kia and Hyundai share the same chassis.

I like the look of them all but can't make my mind up which one to go for. Ford does not have as much kit as the others, but has a DAB radio, heated front screen and 2 exhaust pipesicon_smile.gif
The other two have heated seats and a bit more kit get a better review on the car web sites.

Has anyone got any of these vehicles and been through the same thought process? I am looking to spend 15 - 17k

I am not sure what will make me make mind upicon_confused.gif

It will be used for towing a 1500Kg van sometimes, so about 90% match for all 3.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Not directly related to your list of cars, but when I selected my Ford Mondeo over similar sized/priced cars the 3 things that differentiated it for me were (1) better nose weight, (2) heated front screen (such a safety benefit - you see so many drivers peering though misted or partly defrosted screens on winter mornings) and (3) you can't mis-fuel a ford due to cleaver 'trap-door' mechanism that prevents wrong pump being used, and also there's no fuel filler cap to take off, just the 'door' that's part of the car's body work.

Hope that helps, good luck

I thought the Sportage and IX35 were more or less the same vehicle?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

The Kuga is a Focus based car, same floor pan and a lot more things, plus the advantage of dealers being plentiful and spares being relatively cheap. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

The Kuga is a Focus based car, same floor pan and a lot more things, plus the advantage of dealers being plentiful and spares being relatively cheap. ..Peter

I think the insurance might be cheaper on a Ford as well.

Kia and Hyundai have the same chassis/engine/drivetrain, but different bodies/interiors, but they are very simmilar. I think to choose between them comes down to personal taste.

We've just changed our Ford Kuga for a KX3 Sportage. The Ford has a higher nose-weight allowance (100kg - Sportage is only 80Kg). The Kuga has the better stereo. The Sportage has a better spec - you definitely get more for your money. I prefer the Sportage but really there isn't a lot of difference between the two cars. The Kia does have a 7 year warranty, of course.

Insurance wise (for me) they were identical.

Edited by chinster1957

Some people are just all show. I don't mind that if the show is worth watching, but . ..

The Chinster

Talking to a professional, i. e. trade, caravan mover a year or so ago they used nothing but Sportages on their medium van movements and were very happy with them.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I had a 136bbp Kuga AWD pulling a 2011 Elddis avente 540 and loved it. Had it during our two very bad winters and on my rural travels never got stuck with 40+mpg. All good thinking about having a other :)

Edited by PaulR

Three goods cars. Mk1 Kuga nose weight is 105kg so perhaps better suited to your 1500kg Van.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

Go for the sportage we have all three models and the only item that needed replacing was awindscreen wiper motoe on the original model and all tow great

It might be worth a look at the xtrail as the new shape comes out next year old shape values will probably drop. good size boot reversing camera etc most have a good spec, 173bhp and 360nm torque for t31 manual xtrail's.

LUNAR LEXON DS ROYAL HERCULES MOVER, 2017 Seat Alhambra 184 se lux & SSANGYONG REXTON 2. 9 RUNNING ON VEG OIL. 1982 HONDA CX500EC. YAMAHA XJ600S. 2006 FORD KA

And my Xtrail was 100% reliable over nearly 5 years, disappointed with the low end torque though, but other than that excellent in all areas.

Have you considered a Mazda CX5?

I purchased one over all your shortlist. Mine has AWD,175 bhp, a twin turbo giving 415 nm of torque and handling considered to be one of the best in the market. It has a nose weight of 88 kg and, depending on the model, a decent kerb weight. Mazda has a good reliability record as well.

Definitely worth a test drive.

Lunar Clubman SB

Mazda CX5 Sport AWD 175 bhp

I purchased one over all your shortlist. Mine has AWD,175 bhp, a twin turbo giving 415 nm of torque and handling considered to be one of the best in the market. It has a nose weight of 88 kg and, depending on the model, a decent kerb weight. Mazda has a good reliability record as well.

Very nice cars, ticks most of the boxes, but a bit outside my price bracket at the moment. Excellent mpg and low C02 with plenty of power. Maybe in the future :)

Edited by gmc15

Don't get conned with these new government figures with fuel consumption.

In my experience the urban figure is achievable on a run.

With the old method I always found the average figure was a good guide to consumption on a run.

In the summer locally I was getting around 44mpg, some 4 mpg more than the Xtrail.

It should also be noted that these type of cars aren't great for economy on motorways, due to the aerodynamics. But are very good on A and B roads.

I've also found the whatcar real miles per gallon figures to be accurate.

http://www. whatcar. com/truempg/my-true-mpg

Edited by xtrailman

Very nice cars, ticks most of the boxes, but a bit outside my price bracket at the moment. Excellent mpg and low C02 with plenty of power. Maybe in the future :)

I'm sure you are aware of this, but the 'cheap' Kugas are 2 wheel drive only. I priced up, on the internet, an auto 4x4 Kuga Titanium with metallic paint and it came out around £29k.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but the 'cheap' Kugas are 2 wheel drive only. I priced up, on the internet, an auto 4x4 Kuga Titanium with metallic paint and it came out around £29k.

I was looking at something like this for 16k.

http://www. autotrader. co. uk/classified/advert/201311290218405/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/postcode/ts285pd/fuel-type/diesel/radius/60/make/ford/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/2/model/kuga?logcode=p

That engine is the one "Watson(JohnG)" tows with, and he's very happy with it.

But I'm not sure if he has the 19" wheels?, I thought 18" were standard, so the ride maybe a little harsh?

The only thing I've read that's a negative is the boots a little on the small side.

I looked at the Korean cars myself and thought they looked good in the showroom, but discounted them just because of the low NW limit, but I believe they come with a spare wheel.

That looks much better value than a new one!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they have higher nose weight than new ones.

I have a 3 year old ix35 2. 0 CRDi Premium which was bought in August this year, 3 years 4 months old, at a cost of £14,500, similar to the price you are thinking of paying. I must say that it took me a while to actually find a 3year old to the specs I wanted (with both "goody" packs) as it seems a lot of ix35 owners do not part with them at that age. Although we have only had one outing for 10 days we could not fault the car's towing abilities and the gear ratios seem to be extremely suitable for this purpose. I have towed with a miscellany of vehicles over the past 30 years and this is the best yet (even better than the Santa Fe before it). I can only speak as I find but would heartily recommend this car as both a solo and towing vehicle. As others have said it may well come down to personal style choice or availability of a model in your price bracket.

Edited by Seasiders

Budget of OP is 15K-17K, CX 5 will not be in the budget, cheapest used diesel will be 22K+, petrol 18K+

LUNAR LEXON DS ROYAL HERCULES MOVER, 2017 Seat Alhambra 184 se lux & SSANGYONG REXTON 2. 9 RUNNING ON VEG OIL. 1982 HONDA CX500EC. YAMAHA XJ600S. 2006 FORD KA

This applies to all three cars. All available for less in 2wd

Education is important but beer is more importanter.