Cleaning Winscreen Reservoir Bottle

SuperJock

I can clean my windscreen, using agents or a leather, and the screen is perfect.

When it rains it remains clear until I use the washers.

A film of grease will then appear in the screen, this film eventually disappears.

I use screen wash additives but still there appears to be a grease film coming from the reservoir.

I note some comments, on other sites, about adding a cup full of Cilit Bang etc.

Appears this grease is caused by micro biological attack in the reservoir caused by not using the washers in the summer and the hot engine compartment allowing bugs to form etc.

Does anyone have a good way of cleaning the reservoir?

Had this issue on a BMW Z4 recently and the pump kept getting blocked as well.

Removed the whole assembly and washed/rinsed it out with a mix of bleach and very hot water. Several 1000's of miles later, all seems OK.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I get this too!

I've been suspecting that the garage uses a wax car wash liquid to top up the reservoir.

I've done wash outs but still the waxy smear comes back.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

It's actually the rubber dust that's worn off all the tyres on the road!

I use a spray bottle filled 50/50 with 'MUC-OFF' and water, good spray and swipe with a clean sponge,rinse and then when you then wash wipe the windows will be crystal clear

Edited by Millstone

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Clean your windows with a proper glass cleaner, or simply water with a dash of added vinegar, then apply Rain X

I use a mixture of meths vinager & water to clean mine

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks for all the information.

I have changed the blades, fitted Bosch, and the screen is perfectly clean. The screen screeches when cleaned with a leather.

Also cleaned with glass cutter etc.

The problem is definitely what comes out of the reservoir when the washers are used.

I think bleach might be the answer.

I used bleach in my van's toilet flush water tank. The black mold / bugs soon disappeared.

I just wondered if there was some special compound to get rid of bugs in the wash bottle reservoir. I have never experienced this before but then again this is my first Volvo (V70).

Also periodically wipe the windscreen and blades with a baby wipe. Seems to work for us ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

SUCCESS!

Well I went out with a muslin cloth soaked in the very best non-brewed condiment and rubbed away at the windscreen for about 5 minutes.

I could feel the waxy stuff sticking to the cloth, but it all came off and a drive in the rain had crystal clear vision. Hooray!

Non brewed condiment is also good for your chips! :P Costs less than £3 for 5 litres.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

SUCCESS!

Well I went out with a muslin cloth soaked in the very best non-brewed condiment and rubbed away at the windscreen for about 5 minutes.

I could feel the waxy stuff sticking to the cloth, but it all came off and a drive in the rain had crystal clear vision. Hooray!

Non brewed condiment is also good for your chips! :P Costs less than £3 for 5 litres.

Why not put it in your wash bottle reservoir . ..diluted ?

Thanks for all the information.

I have changed the blades, fitted Bosch, and the screen is perfectly clean. The screen screeches when cleaned with a leather.

Also cleaned with glass cutter etc.

The problem is definitely what comes out of the reservoir when the washers are used.

I think bleach might be the answer.

I used bleach in my van's toilet flush water tank. The black mold / bugs soon disappeared.

I just wondered if there was some special compound to get rid of bugs in the wash bottle reservoir. I have never experienced this before but then again this is my first Volvo (V70).

Please be aware bleach/bleach based products should not be used on plastics, they will turn yellow & become very weak & brittle!

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

I use Thetford blue and pink toilet chemicals. The last time I picked up a pink bottle they had a note on the bottle about cleaning the flush tank using household bleach.

A very weak solution was to be used. I think about 100ml of bleach to a full flush tank.

I have used a similar dosage in my screen wash tank so will wait and see how she goes.

The wash reservoir is 6. 5liters so will take a few days to get through that amount.

Again thanks for all the information and help.

6. 5liter reservoir with 50ml bleach. Left to settle over night and this morning pumped 3liters through the washers. All now appears crystal clear. Refilled with 3liters of washer additive and will hope this has done the trick. .

Body work perfect, given the amount of salt etc flung up from our roads I doubt 50ml of bleach would have any impact.

I am still curious as to how the bugs get into the reservoir in the first place.

More work on Google required.

Edited by SuperJock

And end up with chips on the glass?

:lol:

I had this problem with my old Honda Prelude. Ended up taking the resevior out & washing it in the dishwasher & then in the sink with a weak bleach solution. Replaced all the plastic tubing feeding the jets as well. All worked very well after that lot, but it was a bit of a pain to do just to get a clean drop of water on your screen!!

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

:lol:

I had this problem with my old Honda Prelude. Ended up taking the resevior out & washing it in the dishwasher & then in the sink with a weak bleach solution. Replaced all the plastic tubing feeding the jets as well. All worked very well after that lot, but it was a bit of a pain to do just to get a clean drop of water on your screen!!

I think it must be because people put plain water or washing up liquid in the reservoir under the cheap delusion that it's all the same stuff?

I have had several cars from new and always use screen-wash and have never yet seen this phenomenon, even after 7+ years.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Using tap water, without an additive, is running the risk of Legionnaires Disease. Apparently the bacteria can breed in a water wash reservoir.

Problems can also be caused by mixing some different additives in the reservoir.

Well diluted household bleach seems to be the most common answer to the problem of the algae.

Removal of the reservoir isn't really an option on my Volvo V70, I think they built the car round the reservoir.

The only way the bacteria or algae, get into the system, is through the tap water.

This is strange as I have always used some sort of screen wash additive so I presume I have had a mismatch. In future I will have to ensure I use the same type of additive.

I know algae can exist in lubricating oils but this is usually introduced by water in the oil. Likewise algae can exist in fuel oil because of water being present.

http://www. elsan. co. uk/screen-wash. aspx

I've been using this stuff since I noticed on the shelf next to the toilet fluid at Camperlands. Its not the cheapest but it works well and I like their toilet fluids which gives me a bit of confidence its doing what it should.

Education is important but beer is more importanter.