T V Aerial

TheAngryBadger

If you have not already purchased it I would advise holding back. A directional aerial, such as the Image range, is almost certainly going to perform better than the Avtex loop aerials I know about.

Sorry, I was unaware of other Avtex aerials than the double loop type STH 1000/2000 they were selling.

I have the new avtex aerial on my laser and it was great on the avtex tv I got with the van. The picture was superb. Elddis had a lot of complaints but I understand that was down to Elddis fitting inferior components or cabling from the aerial to the tv outlet sockets. According to avtex coachman have had no complaints at all about the new system, and speaking for myself, I was very impressed with ours because it was something I was worried about because of the Elddis saga.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

i was at poolsbrook cc site near chesterfield and got loads more channels on avtex aerial than i did previously with my pastiche's directional aerial and the picture on the avtex tv was the best i've ever had. my previous tv's were sony and samsung, but the avtex system blew them away. as i said, i was very impressed, but i've only had the caravan 3 weeks and it was our first time out in it. just wanted to try everything and make sure it all worked. it did, and no problems at all.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

I took delivery of a 2014 Pastiche in November, I have tried the aerial in three locations, one weak and two strong signals on my Toshiba TV and have not been impressed at all. My other van had a Status directional aerial and never had any problems.

Hi, I have a Elddis Avante 2013 model and have been extremely disappointed in this aerial. Like so many others we have had a nightmare with it and no help from Elddis . If you go on the tv and satellite title and look in the Avtex thread, you will find it very informative regarding this aerial. The latest one is they have found it at times to give to strong a signal causing for the tv to block out. Hope it helps Scoobz

• 3 weeks later...

hi new to this, i have just recieved new coachman vip 545/4 . .aeriel area is the place thats causing me concern . like other members have tried my avtex tv at home and all seems good . ...before i could,nt even get a signal as bungalow was stopping direct line to transmitters .

no my problem is. .. has any other members had seepage insde van on shaft comming down from aeriel only spotted by accident . .as a couple of drips on glass,es that were parked underneath . went back to supplier . .quick repair more sealant . .. was not really happy being told it was condensation ???told to go home and moniter for a week

got van home after a couple off days of rain still damp. .. put bucket over aeriel presto dry now. . seems to be a weeping seepage

question why is it up to us to find solutions

now waiting to go into battle to prove case and get new aeriel.

Hello John

The faulty Avtex aerial on our Elddis Affinity was repaced by the Dealer several months after reporting it as faulty. The following day we had heavy rain I checked and found water leaking down inside the locking bolt.

I decided to fix the leak myself as we live more than 60 miles from the dealer, I undid the locking nut removed the aerial cleaned the area where the aerial sits, I also took the base plate off and put sealant between the aerial and base plate, I believe this is where the water was coming in.

Problem solved I hope, But I still check just in case.

Regards Penman

Hi John . ... sorry to hear of your little problem . ..... Oh, and welcome to the forum . .....

I know you will think it is annoying . ... but I'm sure that it will be fixed in . ... no time at all . ....

Still . .... it's a great van . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Hello John

The faulty Avtex aerial on our Elddis Affinity was repaced by the Dealer several months after reporting it as faulty. The following day we had heavy rain I checked and found water leaking down inside the locking bolt.

I decided to fix the leak myself as we live more than 60 miles from the dealer, I undid the locking nut removed the aerial cleaned the area where the aerial sits, I also took the base plate off and put sealant between the aerial and base plate, I believe this is where the water was coming in.

Problem solved I hope, But I still check just in case.

Regards Penman

hi penman think your proceedure 100% correct, this item i think isnt realy upto job as too many parts ie the wand, the body, the foot, all areas to offer problems . Realy should be one piece or sealed. .. also cannot understand in this day and age useing what seems to be a mild steel shaft and mild steel nut and on mine no washer, ,, ie, rust probs, condensation probs?? . A plastic nut and a nylon washer would offer at least a vapour break. ......With mine i set myself up for a !!! discussion !!! at the suppliers and was met by possitive reaction which pleased me no end . now waiting to return van (hopefully dry) to dealers and have new aerial fitted so watch this space .

Hi John . ... sorry to hear of your little problem . ..... Oh, and welcome to the forum . .....

I know you will think it is annoying . ... but I'm sure that it will be fixed in . ... no time at all . ....

Still . .... it's a great van . ....

Cheers

Pete

pete i think your dead right it flamin fantastic van . .even this little hic up wont stop me and my wife enjoying many years in this van , ,, think we may have unearthed a slight prob with aeriel hopefully this will bring to manufacturers knoledge and solve prob for future caravaners . Or will show the rest of us punters how to overcome and resolve prob .

Hello John

The Avtex aerial fitted to Elddis caravans is a saga going back many months, if you have the time you can read the many posts. From my own experience the replacement aerial seems to work at least it did on our only try since it was replaced, this was at the CC site near Oxford.

The real test thought will be our first outing in April to Pembrokeshire. At the CL where we stay I have failed many times last year to obtain TV reception. Many Elddis owners are still experiencing problems with the Avtex though not so many posts of late probably due to it being the low season.

I hope Coachman owners dont have the same problems with the aerial but if they do lets hope they are resolved in a more efficient manner than us Elddis owners have had to tollerate.

Regards Penman

Hi. I'm new to this forum and having mild panic attack having just read all the comments concerning avtex "whip" type aerial fitted to your Elddis vans. We are picking up our new Coachman caravan this Friday and note that all new Coachman vans are fitted with this type of aerial. Our motorhome was fitted with a status aerial and this normally (although not consistently) worked quite well. I'starting to look at mobile satellite aerials (pref of the self-seeking type) but, wow, the cost! Looked at the "new"snipe - anybody got any suggestions for alternatives? There appears to be as many problems getting a consistent signal with a dish as with other aerials - weather/ rain/trees etc

I have an Elddis Affinity with the Avtex antenna and have had problems at all but 1 of the sites we have stayed at. During my last trip out in October I did various tests and at one point connected the antenna directly the to TV with a high quality cable bypassing all of the Elddis internal wiring and components. None of this made any difference. My antenna has not been replaced yet so it could be faulty.

The only thing I did notice on one trip was that reducing the signal strength with an attenuator helped. It could have been that on this occasion I was in a very strong reception area and the built-in booster in the antenna was causing the signal to break up. Elddis engineers have visited some owners and tested lower gain antennas which suggests that they also may be aware of this.

I do hope that all new Coachman owners don't have the same problems that many of us Elddis owners are still suffering with. However from the testing I have done I don't think the Elddis internal wiring is the only problem.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

• 4 weeks later...

I have had no problems anywhere I have been in the UK with the Status directional aerial since we went digital. The directional aerial is as good as the previous omni directional was bad so why have some manufacturers changed to this Avtex thing. Its about time they learnt that if it ain't broken don't fix it. I hope that the next time I buy a new caravan I can have another Status directional aerial retro fitted.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

Just taken delivery of a Coachman.

Everything appears to work perfectly except I can't get any picture on the TV.

The radio has perfect reception.

My house faces north as does the driveway so I suppose the house might be blocking the signal. All the house TV aerials are facing south.

I connected the TV direct to the Avtex and scrolled through the channels manually, not one had any TV signal.

Suppose I will have to wait till our first outing and see how it performs.

• 2 weeks later...

We collect our VIP next week, I have had a chat with our Dealer re this problem and he tells me that Avtex have taking it onboard and have added another booster, I will report back once I have had a chance to assess

Les

Les

The 2014 Coachmans might have the booster inside the lower part of the aerial.

There is a threaded section comes through the van roof, onto this is screwed a nut. This was very rusty, on mine, after three days ownership. Also there was two connections that were not too bright, the connection from the aerial to the internal wire and the connection at wire changeover splitter.

There are two aerial wires under the seat, one brown (external) and one black (internal, depending on wither you are using a ehu with aerial connection or the Avtex aerial.

The dealer has had a look at it and will order and fit a new aerial due to the rust and the poor connector from the aerial.

Initially I could receive zero channels on my driveway, after changing the splitter connection and fettling the aerial connection I now receive 148channels. However a wiggle of the aerial connection will interfere with the picture hence decision for new aerial as this connection is a permanent fix to the wire coming from the aerial.

Edited by SuperJock

• 3 weeks later...

Just come back from our maiden voyage in the new Elddis Avante and I had no problems at all with the Avtex antenna, in fact I would go as far as saying it out performed my previous Status directional antenna.

It found lots of channels and we had the TV on most of the day and early evening, so well pleased as after reading some of the reviews it was becoming a major concern.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium auto, 5 seats. Elddis Avante 574

Just come back from our maiden voyage in the new Elddis Avante and I had no problems at all with the Avtex antenna, in fact I would go as far as saying it out performed my previous Status directional antenna.

It found lots of channels and we had the TV on most of the day and early evening, so well pleased as after reading some of the reviews it was becoming a major concern.

Which site(s) were you staying at?

I was at Carsington Water, BBC very good. ITV non existent and satellite not any good due to trees.

A site in Carmarthen, West Wales. Only used free view with the Avtex antenna and it was great

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium auto, 5 seats. Elddis Avante 574

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.