Tweaks & Mods Eterniti Vans

Desallen

Hi all Des is my name I thought this new thread would help all those involved in buying or present owners of Eterniti Caravans to exchange ideas which they can make our vans better for our individual needs. I own & use a IB4 2013 model purchased in February this year. My better half & me think the van is a great design & generously laid out. But even so we still found things to have done to personalise it to our liking. so here goes had done so far. 1 Status plus directional Ariel fitted inside the washroom just above the radiator this allows us to view TV while locating transmitter for peaking gain of areil. 2 Cupboard put in between front bench seats for magazines extra. 3 Cupboard put underneath the freezer for a shoes. 4 Black splash back put behind hand wash basin. 5 Sky box fitted inside osf cupboard just in front of slide out. We thought this was a good idea because already fitted in that cupboard is the auto/sat system. the reason we did not have sky box in the large cupboard behind the TV was because we wanted to use this cupboard for our under clothes extra with the main wardrobe just bellow. 6 New 2014 rear end fitted this was done because my drive raises up very sharply also had my drive re designed so the slope is more gradual this is my bit for this new thread be interested to hear what others have had done please excuse my typing & spelling I have explained the reason for this in previous posts thanks & look forward to some more posts Des

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Des for kicking off this new thread.

We have had the following done:-

1 Weight upgrade to 2200 kg and currently investigating going to 2400 kg.

2 Roof mounted awning so we could still use our full awning.

3 Awning rail opened up at extra points to ease fitting of awning.

4 Powr Touch 4 wheel drive mover.

5 Alde wiring altered to display external temperature as well as indoors.

Mods done by me:-

6 Recessed the toilet door handle to allow the door to open fully and fitted a retaining strap to the bottom.

7 Fitted a 120 W thin film solar panel to the roof and fitted the controller inside the bed locker.

8 Fitted steady guide tubes to both the front and rear steadies, rear rather awkward due to poor alignment.

9 Fitted the sat box inside the large cupboard above the wardrobe.

10 Small cargo net holder fitted to rear of kitchen sink panel to hold the TV, Sat & AC controls.

Mods in the pipeline:-

11 2014 rear end as I have broken mine on rough sites, also grounded on ferries and speed bumps, should be fitted whilst van is back at Eterniti just now.

12 Fit a light in the cocktail cabinet, I was going to wire one in like the cupboards but found a battery PIR LED on Ebay so no wiring.

13 Fit a false floor to cocktail cabinet to hold bottles and glasses.

14 Split the front down lighters into two circuits one for the front seats and the other for the kitchen and cooker area.

No doubt there will be more.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

As already started on a seperate thread i have been working on trying to reduce the noise from the onboard water pump on our 2014 IB4. The pump is i think a recipricating type which are always noisy in comparison with circular pumps but produce more power and are more efficient.

Bought some sound proofing foam which is egg box shaped on the inside for a modest £7 and basically made a cover that fits over the top of the pump and filter/ Looks like a big upside down bean can with the bottom cut off. In short it works!! Doesnt get rid of all noise as some still goes through the floor which is 'floating' but is an improvement.

As stated before, the noise is not a major problem but this is quick and easy to make and seems to work. Made so that it can be removed to prevent overheating when first setting up when the pump has to work to fill both the water heater and onboard tank which combined is around 60 - 70 lit. Rob

Desallen. ..I am sure this will be a very interesting thread, well done.

We have ordered an IB4 with the following mods;-

1. We have asked them to remove the cooker, we felt the cooker was in a silly place so they are going to make a set of drawers and fit them in its place, they are going to leave the pipework etc so we can slide the drawers out and re-fit the cooker at a later date when we come to sell. This will give us a better place to stand the TV.

2. We have asked them not to fit the back door, can't see when we would use it and the space can be better used fitting a low wattage electric towel rail in its place and stand a linen basket on the floor.

3. To fit a proper outside 240v plug, we do virtually all our cooking in the awning, using a halogen oven and induction hob.

4. We asked them to remove the divider catch from the wardrobe door.

5. We are having a 4 wheel motor mover fitted.

6. We would like a larger washing up sink than the one in the show van, I believe they may have already changed this?

I am sure we will have other mods to add when we get the van.

Well done Des for kicking off this new thread.

We have had the following done:-

1 Weight upgrade to 2200 kg and currently investigating going to 2400 kg.

2 Roof mounted awning so we could still use our full awning.

3 Awning rail opened up at extra points to ease fitting of awning.

4 Powr Touch 4 wheel drive mover.

5 Alde wiring altered to display external temperature as well as indoors.

Mods done by me:-

6 Recessed the toilet door handle to allow the door to open fully and fitted a retaining strap to the bottom.

7 Fitted a 120 W thin film solar panel to the roof and fitted the controller inside the bed locker.

8 Fitted steady guide tubes to both the front and rear steadies, rear rather awkward due to poor alignment.

9 Fitted the sat box inside the large cupboard above the wardrobe.

10 Small cargo net holder fitted to rear of kitchen sink panel to hold the TV, Sat & AC controls.

Mods in the pipeline:-

11 2014 rear end as I have broken mine on rough sites, also grounded on ferries and speed bumps, should be fitted whilst van is back at Eterniti just now.

12 Fit a light in the cocktail cabinet, I was going to wire one in like the cupboards but found a battery PIR LED on Ebay so no wiring.

13 Fit a false floor to cocktail cabinet to hold bottles and glasses.

14 Split the front down lighters into two circuits one for the front seats and the other for the kitchen and cooker area.

No doubt there will be more.

Ian

Well done Ian I thought I was bit of a gadget man but you beat me I don’t know about upgrade to 2400 the way you going it will need to 2500. Next mod for me to do are Reich twin 4wheel movers mod the cross bar to go thro the chassis not underneath by putting a joggle in each end section. This will be better than an oe design because they invert the movers so the slide is upper most very venerable for water/muck ingress regards Des

Hi, We're liking this new thread. Rob, could you possibly take some photos of you soundproofing stuff so Rog can see it please.

On our ordered van, we are having a larger sink, which I think a number of us have requested. I read about someone who'd had some extra shelves put in and we are having the same, a small corner one in the kitchen and a couple more on the unit behind the loo. We're also having an extra plug point on the wall under the microwave and in the cupboard with the glass/bottle holder, that's going and an extra plate rack instead. Out Tv isn't going in the cupboard. We've asked for the door to open the other way and for the blinds on the windows to be put on the other way round. I have also asked if it's possible to have the wardrobe changed to make just a wardrobe and not have the cupboard above. ...not sure as yet if I can have that.

Desallen. ..I am sure this will be a very interesting thread, well done.

We have ordered an IB4 with the following mods;-

1. We have asked them to remove the cooker, we felt the cooker was in a silly place so they are going to make a set of drawers and fit them in its place, they are going to leave the pipework etc so we can slide the drawers out and re-fit the cooker at a later date when we come to sell. This will give us a better place to stand the TV.

2. We have asked them not to fit the back door, can't see when we would use it and the space can be better used fitting a low wattage electric towel rail in its place and stand a linen basket on the floor.

3. To fit a proper outside 240v plug, we do virtually all our cooking in the awning, using a halogen oven and induction hob.

4. We asked them to remove the divider catch from the wardrobe door.

5. We are having a 4 wheel motor mover fitted.

6. We would like a larger washing up sink than the one in the show van, I believe they may have already changed this?

I am sure we will have other mods to add when we get the van.

Hi TonyandCarol wish you well with your new van I am very sure you will really like it there is that much room inside to make it how you want its. great the things you are having done especially the cooker mod to be honest we don’t use ours that much now. We tend to use the slow cooker more than anything but good idea to make it so put the cooker back in when you come to sell regards Des

Hi to you all. Just a heads-up on 'The Sound Proofing Stuff'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is correctly referred to as Convoluted Foam. It can be purchased through the Upholstery Trade Wholesalers and or the Upholstery Trade Foam Converters.

It is often seen inside the aluminium carry cases that are used by Professional Photographers and people that carry delicate or scientific equipment.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi all yes I think this thread going to be quit interesting as time goes on. Ok Robin N Judith on the soundproofing good but I am glad you are taking the over heating seriously as those pumps can be working very hard especially when my better half as a shower to keep her going I need a builders pump & the van parked next to a reservoir I also think this thread will cheer us all up while planning what we are doing next year me i am hoping to south west France again had a great time there couple of years ago Des

A very interesting thread. I am really interested to know some measurement benefits from the 2014 new rear end. Has any of you made a before and after measurement. As looking at a few of the early ones they are Very close to the floor in relatively normal road going situations. ...

Thamks

A couple of changes I forgot about.

We went for the dark wood and full leather.

Sat dish fitted to roof.

Proper external 240 volt socket on the side just in front of the door.

Ozy, picture of the 2014 back end in my gallery - http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/gallery/album/1367-ianv8/ not my van so no measurements yet.

Ian

Hi JillP. If you send me yopur email address i will forward some pictures of the soundproffing to you as i dont think we can post pictures here. As 'travellingrooster' correctly says it is also used for packaging and things like photography cases to keep things in place. I use it for my transmitter case for my model helicopters.

Thread seems good and popular. So many changes being made. This is one of the benefits of a company like Eterniti. Can't imagine Elddis, my old van manufacturer being open to such modifications to suit individual customers. Rob

Hi JillP. If you send me yopur email address i will forward some pictures of the soundproffing to you as i dont think we can post pictures here. As 'travellingrooster' correctly says it is also used for packaging and things like photography cases to keep things in place. I use it for my transmitter case for my model helicopters.

Thread seems good and popular. So many changes being made. This is one of the benefits of a company like Eterniti. Can't imagine Elddis, my old van manufacturer being open to such modifications to suit individual customers. Rob

Hi Rob. Posting images on this forum has got to be one of the easiest of all.

Click on more Reply Options to the right of the Post tab.

It will open up a whole new page.

At the lower right-hand corner there is a Browse tab,that will get you into your PC picture files.

Select the image and and then hit Attach This File.

Then you are ready to post it with one last command which will be at the lower right-hand corner of the page.

You can post by using a URL and that is an image at the top of the page that you are originally typing on,it is a central image of a tree.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

post-64997-0-53026600-1387381008_thumb.jpgpost-64997-0-33389900-1387381057_thumb.jpgpost-64997-0-64563100-1387381136_thumb.jpg

Dont know if this will work but here goes.

The foam comes in flat sheets and can come in various densities but this is fairly flexable to allow it to be moulded into a circle. I have had to make cut outs for the power supply wires and the water pipework so that it fits properly. It is easily removed when required. Rob

With respect only caravan manufacturers, such as Eterniti, who deal direct with the customer are able to incorporate modifications to the customer's requirement though the customer is then buying a bespoke caravan.

The majority of caravans are sold through dealers to whom all "fit for purpose, durable quality and not to specification" matters under the SoGA should be addressed.

It may be that the protection of the SoGA applies to a lesser degree with a bespoke caravan.

attachicon.gifSAM_1442. JPGattachicon.gifSAM_1444. JPGattachicon.gifSAM_1443. JPG

The foam comes in flat sheets and can come in various densities but this is fairly flexable to allow it to be moulded into a circle. I have had to make cut outs for the power supply wires and the water pipework so that it fits properly. It is easily removed when required. Rob

Hi Rob N Judith. Be especially careful not to loose any essential ventilation. Foam of this type might not necessarily come under the Furniture & Furnishing Fire Safety Regulations/Act.

If there is a risk of an electrical short circuit/fire and the foam is not of the FR type you will have a real problem on your hands.

This is the reason why I recommended an upholstery wholesaler or an upholstery foam converter.

Good point. I did test the pump for heating in general use and the heat is minimal from it. There is the issue of a wiring fault causing heat build up against the foam. All other components are away from the cover and are more likely to fail causing heat build-up leading to potential fire than the wiring.

Foam used in upholstry will however burn given the right conditions and only intumescent foam can be deemed as truely 'fire resisting'. (by the way the seating foam and trim in your car is not fire resisting and has considerably higher amounts of electronic componenets in it!!)

Anyone considering doing this should bear it in mind and you are right to highlight it.

Hi all

I have ordered a modified BB5 for delivery in July 2014. Eterniti have been very accommodating about making modifications, which is great. I have opted for the front chest of draws, which is supposedly new for 2014 but I haven't seen one. Does anyone have one on their 2014 model that they could photograph please?

Also, does anyone use Nemesis Ultra wheel locks? The previous Sales Manager seemed to think they wouldn't fit. I emailed PurpleLine but, as usual, they just ignored my email!!

Thanks

Brian

attachicon.gifSAM_1442. JPGattachicon.gifSAM_1444. JPGattachicon.gifSAM_1443. JPG

Thanks for the pictures Rob, it may well be helpful.

We shall probably have a trial run and see if it bothers us. ..or rather me, Rog appears to be a little hard of hearing at times. .....

Jill

Hi all

I have ordered a modified BB5 for delivery in July 2014. Eterniti have been very accommodating about making modifications, which is great. I have opted for the front chest of draws, which is supposedly new for 2014 but I haven't seen one. Does anyone have one on their 2014 model that they could photograph please?

Also, does anyone use Nemesis Ultra wheel locks? The previous Sales Manager seemed to think they wouldn't fit. I emailed PurpleLine but, as usual, they just ignored my email!!

Thanks

Brian

Hi, we've also gone for the chest of drawers. They had one at the showroom that wasn't actually fitted. It's virtually the same as the chest of drawers in our Elddis, with the fold out tabletop. We are still having the seating cushions with ours.

Brian

I use a Nemesis Ultra, very easy to fit wherever the wheel ends up.

Ian

I think we have had the following added by the factory to our IB4:

1 BPW stabiliser system

2 Chassis plate upgrade

3 Sat system

4 BPW motor mover

5 Apple Bella wood/Alaska material

and as we ordered at the show last year we have aircon and the awning

Tweeks/mods we added ourselves are:

1 A media server in the sat cupboard which auto switches with the sat box and dvd player, the media server will play anything from file holds 100's of movies etc and is the size of an iPhone

2 Second TV in the bedroom area

3 Shoe rack type thing in between slide out and front bench

4 Phantom tracker (did a deal with them direct much cheaper)

5 Wifi

6 Various hooks for dog leads coats etc.

7 Remote for the door locks

were currently looking at trying to set up a projector inside, we use a pico projector in the awning which works perfectly on the side of the van

What I'd like to add is some corner shelving in the kitchen area, bottle rack in the drinks cupboard. My other half is desperate to get the auto levelling system as well but I personally can't see the point other than its a gadget !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all great new forum Des.

I have not taken delivery of my van yet due to mechanical problems which have beed discussed on the eterntiy forum (Bad points) so i can`t comment as yet on any mods that i may require just cant wait for the delivery.

With mine being the 2013 model i have asked them to look at the reported problems with the back end coming into contact with ground under certain conditions speed bumps etc i would not want to rip the back skirting off.

post-32697-0-14648900-1389179253_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean.

Ian

Ian

Just spoke to Nick at eterniti and my van has had the new axle fitted and is now ready for collection so good news. I have mentioned the problem with the back end and he says the normal price is £1500 but with all my waiting they will do it for £700 just wondering what to do.

I was also querying the slide out and that when it is closed it does not meet flush with the side of the van he says that itis correct and can show me when i go to the showroom what is yours like?

GEE