What Do I Need To Make This Fit My Bailey Orion

MartynL

I've been towing my Bailey Orion 430/4 with my 2litre Golf with no problems but may want to upgrade the caravan in the future. Anyway I bought a 2004 Discovery 2 this week and would like to fit the right equipment for towing without spending a fortune. The attached photo shows what is on the Disco now and basically all I've done is fitted a 7 pin to 13 pin adaptor for the lights etc to work. I'm not bothered about full electrics as the caravan is on the drive and the battery topped up. Anyway you can see the tow ball in the picture and was wondering if I need to make changes for the Alko Towing on the caravan fit this tow ball? Do I need an extended tow ball as the spare wheel is above the tow ball at present? What do you recommend? I live in a cul de sac and it's not easy to get the Caravan out to line it up easily to check.

Thanks for your input.

post-62178-0-18778700-1387226075_thumb.jpg

Edited by MartynL

You MUST use the Al-Ko extended towball; a standard will foul.

Thanks for the quick reply. So that's all I need and I can fit that myself. :)

Will this one do?

http://www. towsure. com/product/Extended_Towball_for_Alko_Type_Stabiliser_Hitches

Edited by MartynL

Thanks for the quick reply. So that's all I need and I can fit that myself. :)

Will this one do?

http://www. towsure. com/product/Extended_Towball_for_Alko_Type_Stabiliser_Hitches

Yes so the advert claims and it seems better priced than an Al-Ko branded one.

I think you should fit new HT (high tensile) bolts and nuts and use (or borrow) a torque wrench to tighten them up.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks, ordered :)

I've got a torque wrench, thanks

Edited by MartynL

Thanks, ordered :)

I've got a torque wrench, thanks

You need a hefty torque wrench. The torque for towball bolts should be 210Nm I believe.

Brian

You need a hefty torque wrench. The torque for towball bolts should be 210Nm I believe.

Brian

Thanks for the input. Just checked the specs of my torque wrench, it goes up to 210nm. I might take it to my local Land Rover garage to do it to be safe.

To be totally legal you will need a 13 pin socket or the second 7 pin, so you can connect the reversing light.

Personally I'd fit the 13 pin socket, It's not to difficult, and it does away with the adaptor lead.

Before anyone says It isn't law to have a reversing light on the caravan/trailer. If a reversing light is fitted, it must work.

"Construction and Use." Act.

The parts you need aren't all that expensive and if you can DIY definately cheaper than the fine.

Regarding your spare wheel, you may want one of these http://shop. al-ko. co. uk/products/4x4-retro-fit-stabliliser-handle-3. html

Although the existing handle can be modified by removing screws to allow removal of handle whilst hitching up.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com