Are Elddis/the Explorer Group Shooting Themselves In The Foot,or What?

Hi to all you Elddis fans ;) .

During my pondering for a replacement to the 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco, I have unearthed some rather interesting details.

NO, do not get the idea that I am considering another Elddis product,I most certainly am not B) .

I have been comparing with what might well have been the natural replacement for the SuperSirocco,another Elddis but an Avante 624 or perhaps the reborn Compass Rallye 634.

The last Compass Rallye 634 was in 2009 and weighed in as the following :

MiRO : 1597kgs

MTPLM : 1875kgs

Below are the comparative figures for the 2014 reborn Compass Rallye 634

Compass Rallye 634

MiRO (kg) 1680kgs

MTPLM (kg): 1840kgs

The MiRO has increased by 83kgs

The MTPLM has decreased by 35kgs

The increase in the MiRO is despite their apparent aims for lighter caravans and the introduction of new materials and also SoLiD. L is for light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is also now running on the LIGHTER AlKo chassis.

This caravan is virtually the same as the 2014 Crusader SuperSirocco BUT the 2014 SuperSirocco is not only a lighter MiRO By 15kgs and has a lighter MTPLM by 15kgs but the Super Sirocco is on the BPW chassis.

Now a burning question :unsure:. Could this all be in the name of 'Not so difficult,Rocket Science'?

Could there be a switch pending from Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco to Compass Crusader SuperSirocco? As it used to be said in days of old, 'The King is Dead,Long live The King'.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hasn't the UKs definition of what has to be in the MIRO changed, so like for like you would expect to be seeing higher figures?

What I was going to say MIRO changed to include more items .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The MIRO now also includes water in flush and hot water tank, gas bottle, EHU cable, wheel lock . .... not sure about battery.

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Iirc it doesn't include the battery as its not classed as essential.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

In this month's caravan buyer magazine, Terry Owen has an article explaining caravan weights, and states that 20kg is now included in the personal effects payload for a leisure battery, where it previously wasn't.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

Hi to you all that seem more concerned about informing me of the changes to the definition of MiRO.

Thank you but I am fully aware of the changes and have been even before they were implemented.

I believe that perhaps some of you need to study the post a little closer and read other than just the MiRO & MTPLM figures.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi to you all that seem more concerned about informing me of the changes to the definition of MiRO.

Thank you but I am fully aware of the changes and have been even before they were implemented.

I believe that perhaps some of you need to study the post a little closer and read other than just the MiRO & MTPLM figures.

I think the discussion on MIRO is valid as the definition would appear to have changed.

As you are making a comparison between a 2001 model and a new build, it is important to clarify what the MIRO meant in 2001 and if the same considerations apply to new caravans.

I think the discussion on MIRO is valid as the definition would appear to have changed.

As you are making a comparison between a 2001 model and a new build, it is important to clarify what the MIRO meant in 2001 and if the same considerations apply to new caravans.

Hi GPS. With respect. I was not nor am I comparing a 2001 model with anything,indeed the only old model that I refer to and quote figures for is the last build year of the 2009 Compass Rallye 634.

Indeed I do compare that with the 2014 Compass Rally 634. It is in fact a direct comparative as far as model name and number are concerned but there are differences,not least of all the 2014 is now mounted on the lighter AlKo chassis.

The purpose of my post was not singular and indeed the emphasis of it is within the last three sentences/paragraphs.

Is the AlKO chassis lighter? Comparing each Elddis badged model with the same Compas badged model the Elddis ones are slightly lighter. As far as I can see the only difference except for the trim is the chassis.

Is the AlKO chassis lighter? Comparing each Elddis badged model with the same Compas badged model the Elddis ones are slightly lighter. As far as I can see the only difference except for the trim is the chassis.

Hi MHE. I was told the other week that the AlKo chassis is both lighter and less costly and that- that was the most likley motive for the switch. I personally think that there is something yet that is yet to be unfurled.

within the 2-3 seasons, most manufactures include 90% full x2 gas bottle, 90% full hot water tank, on board tank (if fitted) and toilet header tank in the MRO.

Did the old model come with ATC?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Alko are lighter than BPW. I know Compass are running on Alko but are Elddis continuing with BPW or are they changing? I thought it was just badge engineering ( a la Swift/Sterling) but different chassis is a big difference.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Alko are lighter than BPW. I know Compass are running on Alko but are Elddis continuing with BPW or are they changing? I thought it was just badge engineering ( a la Swift/Sterling) but different chassis is a big difference.

Hi hp I made that point right from the beginning but someone as usual contested it,I had done my homework.

Then the MiRO was brought into play,again I have done my homework.

As for :- but are Elddis continuing with BPW or are they changing?

Watch this space, or better still keep an ear to the ground. Warning sounds come from a great distance before the bang is heard.

We changed from Elddis to Compass due to me preferring the Alko.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.