Severe Damp In 2011 Delta Ti

Durbanite

In November 2013 we had a mobile technician do our second service. The first service was done by the dealer a year earlier. Sadly the mobile technician found 60% damp using his Surveymaster Protimeter.

The damp is located on the front nearside panel and also the front nearside floor indicating a possible leak by the window. We cannot understand how we could have such severe damp in the space of a year especially as we use a towing cover when towing. The damp in the floor is of real concern to us.

The caravan has been at the dealer since end of November and they are telling us that it may be another 6 - 8 weeks waiting for spares from Lunar. We are obviously very disappointed.

We are now wondering if it is a common problem on Lunars?

My Lunar Clubman had 100% at first service then 30% at second service.

First at kitchen window and next at the toilet waste tank.

I have an on board water tank on my van. This is the same tank as the Delta. Is there any chance you are getting a leak from the piping or via the floor penetration in way of the tank top?

My lunar clubman 2010 was rotten at front end, and was only 2 yr old. and stored inside storage.

The dealer concerned cut ties with lunar because of all the problems with them,especially front end damp

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

My Lunar Clubman had 100% at first service then 30% at second service.

First at kitchen window and next at the toilet waste tank.

I have an on board water tank on my van. This is the same tank as the Delta. Is there any chance you are getting a leak from the piping or via the floor penetration in way of the tank top?

The tank is under slung so not sure how water from pipes could affect it.

Unfortunately a caravan can go from nothing to 100% water ingress in a year. It all depends on the nature and location of the leak and how severe the leak is.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

It wouldn't take much detective work to find the source of a 100%er especially if it's around a window. Should even be visible from the outside.

Lots of manufacturer's vans are leaky it seems.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I did a search on this forum and also Googled it and it seems to be a common issue around the windows. This is our fifth Lunar with all the others being pre 2006 and none of them had damp. Seems the quality has gone down in order to save a few pounds.

Our main concern is the very damp floor as we know that the front panel can be changed, but not sure about what they would do to the floor and how effective a repair would be.

Anyway I got onto the dealership and finance company and advised we were thinking of rejecting the caravan due to it not being fit for purpose under Sale of Goods Act as per other posts on this forum and yesterday we got a phone call from the dealership asking us if we had any holidays booked as they are going to start working on the caravan. Seems the letter may have done the trick as from 6 to 8 weeks waiting now reduced to a week or two.

We can only hope as at the moment very disappointed as not a very nice Christmas present!

Hearing these reports, is both concerning and very disappointing for the owners concerned. We keep looking to change our 2005 Lunar Quasar for a 2011 model as we like some of the changes, both inside and outside but now I am thinking twice about this. Don't get me wrong we've had some water ingress problems, one being the awning rail along the rear washroom (wardrobe) and the other was a design fault which has resulted in water running down the caravan awning rails at the rear, underneath the van and soaking the corners of the floor. Our dealer has fixed both of these issues FOC despite the van only having a 6 month warranty from Aug 2012 and also the warranty did not really cover such items. My own damp meter readings seem to confirm that the caravan is drying out as the readings have started to reduce.

Another CT member mentioned to me that during 2005 when the management buy out occurred there was a supposedly drop in build quality, but this does not explain why vans in later years are still suffering with such issues as the opening post to this thread!

I hope that the dealer can fully repair DeltaTIowners van to a standard that he is completely satisfied with.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Disappointingly it does not matter what uk built van you buy, you enter the water ingress lottery. Its always down to poor build quality and in the last 30 years nothing has changed. If it was a car we would chuck it back at them, but for some reason we put up with this problem year in year out. I now have my own non invasive damp meter and do regular checks so I can catch any leaks before they do damage as the longer it leaks the worse the damage will be.

We had a phone call from the dealer asking us if we had any plans to go away over the next week or two as they wanted to start stripping do the caravan to do the repairs. Although we had planned to go away this weekend we are able to cancel the plans. We assume that the finance coming is putting pressure on the dealer to resolve the issue as soon as possible so it seems our letter rejecting the caravan may have worked!

Hi All I have read your comments and would like to add mine. I am on my second Lunar Delta and yet again history has repeated itself again on its first service has found the dreaded damp again, my first Delta was a 2012 TI that had 50% damp and found its way into my caravan around the toilet flush tank filling point and now I have the RS 2013 and it has 26% damp on the o/s top corner and 25% on the n/s top corner, to say I am unhappy is an understatement and it looks like another financial loss to me and my wife as we have lost the respect for the Lunar brand for good, will Lunar ever learn I think not, any advice from fellow members would be very grateful as we are at a loss.

under your individual circumstances I would reject the van as not fit for purpose. I wish that I could recommend another make but they all still have this problem. I love my coachman but some have had leaky skylights. .....................and so it goes on.

We have been considering the Coachman even if it meant a slight financial loss. Unfortunately probably will not be able to buy brand new now. Once you have had damp and it has been repaired, you sense it every time you go near the caravan.

Having looked at the leak posts over a period of time it would appear that regardless of manufacturer the majority of leak complaints would seem to be on twin axles and longer model single axles.

Does this mean that the current build methods using the same thickness panels on all models highlight the increased flexibility and therefore susceptibility to leaks of the longer models?

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

• 3 weeks later...

We have had no further feedback from the dealer on the repair to the caravan which is very disappointing. I don't understand why we should have to keep phoning the dealer for updates. I think I will stir things up a bit and contact the finance company and state that as we have had no feedback, we are now rejecting the caravan and then sit back and see what happens.

We have had no further feedback from the dealer on the repair to the caravan which is very disappointing. I don't understand why we should have to keep phoning the dealer for updates. I think I will stir things up a bit and contact the finance company and state that as we have had no feedback, we are now rejecting the caravan and then sit back and see what happens.

Another update. Today in the post came a letter stating that the caravan was ready for collection subject to approval by the finance company having it inspected by an independent. Sadly although the repair was done, they never checked the rest of the job sheet and have not resolved another issue which requires authorisation from Lunar.

Apparently the leak was caused by the front rail across the top of the windows not being sealed properly. I would have thought that a leak in that area would have been obvious to the naked eye and for it to affect the floor so badly, would have been a gaping hole?

Disappointingly it does not matter what uk built van you buy, you enter the water ingress lottery. Its always down to poor build quality and in the last 30 years nothing has changed. If it was a car we would chuck it back at them, but for some reason we put up with this problem year in year out. I now have my own non invasive damp meter and do regular checks so I can catch any leaks before they do damage as the longer it leaks the worse the damage will be.

I think you've hit on a very relevant point, there's a lot of flexibility in a shell, this must work at sealed joints, as well as the need to trust the labour applying it.

I could add to that loads of design issues which have failed over the years, usually through lack of pre-testing, but also as new generations of designers come along, think they know better, and repeat old designs that had failed in the past. With some manufacturers there are cycles, of periods of satisfactory quality, then failure.

in over 30 years of caravanning I have had many leaky vans, in all that time I can honestly tell you that not one leak, window, roof lights, awning rail or roof has one leak been down to design. Every one of them was due to poor assembly and not product failure.

The one that sticks to mind was a 1 year old swift that had water running down the inside of the van over the door. I took off the awning rail and some one had run the mastic gun along the join come to a screw hole and promptly run the gun under the screw hole and continued along to the next! Where do they get these people because they are still out there!!

I'm not disagreeing with the numbers of instances of poor workmanship, but I can also point to many many design issues which have not taken into account the ability of water to travel, including its action after freeze/thaw. Good design also includes the ease with which it is assembled in a production environment.

I'm not disagreeing with the numbers of instances of poor workmanship, but I can also point to many many design issues which have not taken into account the ability of water to travel, including its action after freeze/thaw. Good design also includes the ease with which it is assembled in a production environment.

The other issue is definitely a design issue relating to the heating system being installed incorrectly so that it is not as effective as it should be.

Update. Our caravan is ready for collection and they have done the modification for the ALDE heating. Unfortunately due to an emergency medical issue in the family we cannot collect it until next week! :(

Sorry to gate crash this topic, but I too have a leak in my caravan. It's in the back corner inside the walldrobe but for the life of me I can't find out where it's coming from. Firstly I thought it was coming from the external aerial socket we had fitted, so I've cut out the damp piece of wood behind where the aerial is fitted and nothing. I'm now wondering if it's coming from the awning rail ? Or the rear light cluster . Also noticed water running down the centre (where the cable comes out) of roof mounted aerial pole - any ideas

Just wish the weather would brighten up so I can get outside and re-seal a few bits to eliminate and few things :-(

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia