Ehu Help

krazie1978

Suddenly I have found a problem with my EHU, I have tried another EHU and having the same issues as below, I am now pulling my hair out,

The panel in the kitchen is not lighting up where I change Van / Car also pump fan are not working, All sockets are getting power and the fridge is also getting power,

The Water Heater, reading light and little lamps are working but not the main ceiling lights or blow heating, We have checked all the fuses and can not see any that have blown.

Does any one else have any idea's of what this might be.

ABI Award Daystar 1995

Edited by krazie1978

Please can you change your font so those of us with poor vision can read your post!

Thank you.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Is it that the systems that are not working are 12v,pump/fire fan/lights. And the working sockets/lights are 240v ( power supply unit/charger caput )

Thank you - Sorry really new to this

When the EHU is not plugged in nothing is working, Once EHU on all we have power to is the sockets and the little lights over the seating area by storage cupboards, The back panel car/van - nothing

All fuses have been checked

Do you think charging the battery fully might help ?

Thank you - Sorry really new to this

When the EHU is not plugged in nothing is working, Once EHU on all we have power to is the sockets and the little lights over the seating area by storage cupboards, The back panel car/van - nothing

All fuses have been checked

Do you think charging the battery fully might help ?

If you have a voltmeter (not the vans in built one) check the voltage at the battery with no ehu connected you should have about 12. 7v if your battery is charged if lower it needs charging. Connect the ehu check that the charger is swiched on if it has a seperate swich and check the voltage again it should be about 13. 5v if not swich off and remove the ehu and check all the connections to and from the charger unit and check the fuse between the charger and battery.

It certainly is pointing at issues with the 12 volt system and the battery is the starting point.

Is the battery there?

Connected?

Is it flat, need a meter or 12 volt bulb to check?

If flat why? Too old, simply run down

Even with a quite sick battery the 12 volt systen should just about work on EHU via the charging feature of the inbuilt unit.

These inbuilt chargers are prone to fail, resulting in flat battery, no recharging and no supply of 12 volts from the EHU.

Probably a charger failure. What voltage is at the battery terminals when the charger is supposed to be on? Should be 13. 8v +

I had this happen, you carry on for a few days not realising until your battery gets flat.

You are talking circa £100 for a new unit from an accessory shop, you can get some models cheaper on the net,

Often the new unit will be too big for the current location and you will need to re-site; it took me about 3 hours to do in all to replace it once we knew what the issue was.

Opened it up and it was all black inside where one of the boards had burnt out blew the fridge 230v heater when it went as well.

Happened on the first night of the holiday and only noticed when we got home 3 weeks later when the alarm had drained the battery down after the van had been sitting on the drive for some time. We knew the fridge had gone and ran it on gas for the duration of the holiday not realising the charging supply unit had blown as well.

Edited by Fenester

The battery in this case may be a red herring. Whilst connected to EHU you should have all electrical services, that is AC (240V) and DC (12V) services, irrespective of the charge state or even connection of a leisure battery.

The issue arises, as mentioned in this thread, that as the EHU supply also charges the battery, its failure might not be apparent for weeks or even months later.

Before writing off the EHU power supply unit, it might be worthwhile checking for in-line fuses around the battery / psu and the electrical mode switch it you van has one (i. e. car / neutral / van switch should be set to van)

Is the 12v supply in the van switched off? I can isolate my 12v system to save the battery from discharging.

Volvo XC70 towing a Coachman VIP 520

The older I get the better I was

Do check around the battery box for an in line fuse. I had same problem with my last Abbey and found that I had dislodged an in line fuse that was in the wire from the battery when loading items behind the battery box, which was under a fixed bed. As soon as I connected the fuse again all worked but I had to tape the fuse and wire down to stop problem happening again.

Its also worth checking the plug at the rear of the Charger (PSU) this can also come lose

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)