Surge Filter Failure

outhouse

The surge filter (under front O/S bunk) on our 2013 Schooner failed catastrophically without warning at Edinburgh site, entire water system is now full of carbon and has to be ripped out and totally replaced!

Dealer said this was the third instance they had come across of Whale failures on "new" vans recently.

It just gets better. ..

Tug:VW Touareg 4. 2 TDI V8

Tugged: Bucaneer Schooner

Can you leave the filter out. I have never used a filter for years and I am still alive "I think"

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Yeah I think it is possible to just blank it off. Better still Elddis could have put an in-line strainer in to avoid this. And there's another one under the sink. ..

I see from your recent posts that you have a few concerns about your Whale filters.

Please contact our Support team for assistance

Tel: 02891270531

info@whalepumps. com

Best wishes,
Claire
Whale Support Team

The surge filter (under front O/S bunk) on our 2013 Schooner failed catastrophically without warning at Edinburgh site, entire water system is now full of carbon and has to be ripped out and totally replaced!

Dealer said this was the third instance they had come across of Whale failures on "new" vans recently.

It just gets better. ..

What do you mean by surge filter? surely one is to damp

out water surge and the filter is to improve water quality,

or do they do both functions nowadays? Not criticism just curiosity.

Sure it said filter on the side, definitely said surge. Is, I mean was, full of carbon particles all the same

I see from your recent posts that you have a few concerns about your Whale filters.

Please contact our Support team for assistance

Tel: 02891270531

info@whalepumps. com

Best wishes,
Claire
Whale Support Team

Don't recall ever having a problem with Whale equipment before, so not sure about the posts, Claire. However, couldn't have got a bigger problem as a first - I've got carbon coming out of my Dometic toilet!!

Will make contact though, as this is a very expensive fix which I'm having undertaken on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

Do these new caravans need a pressure reducer valv fitted in the hose linee when connected to the Mains still which would stop a surge ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Do take up Whale's assistance. They have a good record of helping out, on this forum. I wish other manufacturers followed and offerred help as well as Whale do.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good. Whale has been excellent, more parts than you can wave an inboard water tank at sent to repairer just in case.

Van is now back in use, though the wash hand tap is still pumping out carbon as well as water and the incredibly useless Dometic toilet is not functioning to its incredibly low standards, but these should be taken care of this month.

Only the delaminated floor to fix now. ...

I had a saga last year with surge dampers.

On one that was fitted to our Eriba the bit that the water pipe clamps onto broke off. So I purchased a very expensive replacement, only to find the water system had issues. I simplified the whole circuit, which involved removing the surge damper and after replacing the Whale socket all was well. So I had one useless Damper and one hardly used Damper and from what I can see there's absolutely nothing inside them. So very expensive voids.

Anyway we've now switched vans and the Lunar has a surge damper in the standard circuit but it all works fine, so I'm not going to fiddle with it.

Our filter is separate and is a Truma cylindrical one that slots in above the snap in pistol grip water connector. I removed it several months ago as part of the winter drain down and the filter is sitting on my desk in front of me as I type this.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Took our filter out 3 years ago after it froze in place and haven't bothered to fit a new one as we don't drink the water from the caravan even though we regularly clean the system and aquarolls.

Throw the filter away, seriously I had one go on an Avondale it took years for the carbon to clear the system.