Caravan You Always Wanted ?

I always wanted an Avondale Wren having first saw one at Skipsea on the Beachbank caravan site in the late seventies / early 80's. .....Pink ' plastic' double glazed windows. .. The first double glazed window I saw and thought it was a beautiful van. ....Does anyone have any pics ?

I thought I'd do a google search because you've stirred my curiosity. Did not find a pink window one, but did find this, which is not a Wren nor an Avondale, but most peculiar. Is it coming or going?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/RAPIDO-EXPORT-FOLDING-CARAVAN-camper-4-BERTH-ICONIC-RETRO-CLASSIC-CAMPER-1980-/231113781742

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I thought I'd do a google search because you've stirred my curiosity. Did not find a pink window one, but did find this, which is not a Wren nor an Avondale, but most peculiar. Is it coming or going?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/RAPIDO-EXPORT-FOLDING-CARAVAN-camper-4-BERTH-ICONIC-RETRO-CLASSIC-CAMPER-1980-/231113781742

Err. YES! :blink: Lovely old unusual caravan. Looks in good condition too. In answer to

the original question, not really, but I would like a model with twin single beds.

Edited by gravon42

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Safari caravans. I liked the styling with the roof lights.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Theres one of these ( the one in the ebay link ) in the Sighthill/ Broomhouse area of Edinburgh which I drive past from time to time. I always have to look twice as it just looks so strange. I had no idea what it was or why it looked the way it did, and even wondered if it was a home made creation, until a few days ago I saw the one in Johns link while idly trawling ebay.

I actually nearly bought that exact model but my wife did not like the interior, especially the thin foam on the seats but it was fascinating to see it unfold. Actually I think it was the fact that my wife did not have enough room to store her clothes, having said that she still doesn't !!!!!!!!

The Avondales always looked classy and the style made them stand out from the rest. We did buy a 1983 Avondale Perle Olympus brand new that was very light but not very upmarket. I did pull it with a 998cc Mini Metro twice as my replacement car was delayed, and it pulled well overall. Those were the days.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Made by Rapido for many years. All folded down into a box trailer. Spent many a happy hour in the company of one in the late 70s /80s owned by a dutchman on the next pitch to us in Spain, (He owned a brewery and like to spread the product awareness).

Surprisingly comfortable and strong once clipped together. Prior to that it was a bit floppy. They are still seen about and doing good service for some and towable by the smallest cars.

In fact come to think of it. Fit Alde heating. Memory foam upgrade. Polish it up a bit I wonder ????????????? if SWMBO would notice the change.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I always wanted an Avondale Wren having first saw one at Skipsea on the Beachbank caravan site in the late seventies / early 80's. .....Pink ' plastic' double glazed windows. .. The first double glazed window I saw and thought it was a beautiful van. ....Does anyone have any pics ?

The Avondales of the '70s were still as shown in the first picture below and the windows were actually clear glass. I think it was in 1979 that the first plastic windows were used, and these were a brown tint, that could over time fade towards pink.

1978 Avondale.jpg 1978 Avondale (Mayfly?)

The only other Avondale with any pink, was actually much later in 1988 when a pink body stripe was used, but the windows then were a light green tint, and of course they would not have been around in the late '70s ;)

1988 Avondale Wren.jpg 1988 Avondale Wren

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The Avondales of the '70s were still as shown in the first picture below and the windows were actually clear glass. I think it was in 1979 that the first plastic windows were used, and these were a brown tint, that could over time fade towards pink.

attachicon.gif1978 Avondale. jpg 1978 Avondale (Mayfly?)

The only other Avondale with any pink, was actually much later in 1988 when a pink body stripe was used, but the windows then were a light green tint, and of course they would not have been around in the late '70s ;)

attachicon.gif1988 Avondale Wren. jpg 1988 Avondale Wren

Thanks for bringing this back on track Gordon. Sorry I caused such a diversion, Moorlander, interesting though it might have been.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I seem to recall it having coloured plastic windows . ..it was the first I had seen. ...sure it was a wren. ...it had a small window in the roof above the kitchen. ...horizontally fitted.