Does Anyone Miss An Old Towcar ?

kobelcokid

Out of all The cars i have owned for towing caravans about the one that i miss and enjoyed driving the most was a Cavalier 1. 7 TD INTERCOOLER with the ISUZU engine.

That engine to me at that era was great to drive

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Flat back Ford Transit Custom Cab 1970 ish FANTASTIC - none of this nose weight rubbish - none of this 85% rubbish - just get in and go - Fast and Smooth.

Replaced after 5 years by a 6 cylinder Long Wheelbase Land Rover said to be the 'best tow wagon' of that era -HA HA after the Transit it was a load of junk - all over the road - drank fuel faster than we could count. I realised it was a mistake after the first 5 miles.

We ran a yacht building company so were towing yachts.

Alan

1999 T plate Vauxhall Omega Elite 2. 5 Td (BMW 6 cylinder engine) really good towcar

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

Mine would be my 2. 0 ghia mondeo mk1. I think my Dad would say one of his 2 owned Austin 1800's

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Hi Ste. Yes, but I really do miss both my 1978 3ltr Mk2 Capri Ghia Auto and my 1983 2. 8i Granada Ghia X Auto Estate.

post-37348-0-32832600-1387064185_thumb.jpg post-37348-0-99069500-1387064241_thumb.jpg

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

My 1994 Nissan patrol 4. 2diesel gr sgx or my last tow car that was a 1993 Range Rover 4. 2 LSE v8 with lpg.

I had a 2. 8 Ghia x auto grannie saloon but never towed with it, great motor

Edited by Spinna

1994 Nissan Patrol 4. 2d Gr SGX (rolling restoration) tugs a 2012 Swift Challenger Sport 586. with outdoor revolution 400 porch awning.

Loved my 1961 Morris Oxford for towing. Roomy, comfortable and so low geared that it pulled the T-Line most places in top gear.

Not too bad on fuel when towing either.

Then went on to Volvo 240, which won a towing award---how i don't know as the rear suspension was badly designed that it rolled like an old sheep on the corners. Although it had more power than the Oxford i had to use the box more because of the higher gearing.

At that time, my wish list was topped by the Austin A110 Westminster, but well out of my league financially.

No! I had a Vauxhall Frontera with cart springs! :blink: Then a Freelander 1, ten times better! Now a

Freelander 2, even better! Would only swap this for a new Freelander. (reluctantly!) ;)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

My old Discovery 300TDI only ever had trouble once while towing and that was my own fault - I got stuck on a field at a re-enactment event, the car got bogged down in soft ground while the van was still sat on the roadway. Found out from my friend who owned the land after wards that he didn't even take the tractor on that bit as that always got stuck as well.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

1999 Toyota Hilux Surf 3. 0 Inter cooled Automatic sold it and bought a low mileage 2007 Jeep Cherokee 3. 0 CRD Overland what a mistake that was the Jeep was rubbish got rid of it within a year.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

No. We started out with a Triumph Stag which I was optimistic enough to use as a daily driver, covering around 15,000 miles a year. It was a beautiful car and sounded gorgeous but even with the addition of a Kenlowe fan the temperature gauge was permanently just below the red zone, even towing our light (by today's standards) ABI Marauder.

After replacing just about every mechanical component I decided to let it go before it bankrupted me. I've had Discoveries ever since (now 11 years) and have been more than happy with them.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

1999 Toyota Hilux Surf 3. 0 Inter cooled Automatic sold it and bought a low mileage 2007 Jeep Cherokee 3. 0 CRD Overland what a mistake that was the Jeep was rubbish got rid of it within a year.

A few months ago I bought a 2001 d4d Colorado to replace my 1996 3. 0l intercooled Surf which I have had for 6 years. ( I got attracted to the extra bhps and torques), however when push came to shove, I realised that I couldnt part with a vehicle which Id cared for and knew back to front and upside down,and whose condition just could not be related to its market monetary value so I kept it. The Colorado will still be the main tug, but I have a standby now as well

I used to have a Ford Sierra 4X4 with 2. 9V6 and twin turbo technics conversion in the very early 90's. It towed our 14' 2 berth Swift with ease, just had to watch the water and oil temperatures.

Made an interesting solo drive too.

High teens mpg solo and low teens mpg towing would mean eye watering running costs today though.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Hi Lee. I have just somewhat reluctantly sold my 1997 V70 T5 CD Auto. One hell of a towing Machine and solo; Orgasmic,even with 204,566miles on the clock.

It would always and only return 19mpg towing the SuperSirocco and produce between 25mpg and 32mpg on a decent long run.

At 70mpg in cruise on a long motorway/Trunk Route/'A' road run it would give a very respectable 31mpg.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

For seat comfort it was a 1994 Rover 820Si to which I had Monroe self levelling suspension fitted. It really was like a magic carpet to be in, solo or towing and did not roll like the old dowager she was supposed to be.

If it was the combination of power and general attributes as a towcar I cannot look beyond my 2005 Mondeo TDCi (130) Ghia estate with self levelling suspension. It was fantastic, but let down by a persistant ECU fault which Ford could not/would not replace.

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

Loved my 1961 Morris Oxford for towing. Roomy, comfortable and so low geared that it pulled the T-Line most places in top gear.

Not too bad on fuel when towing either.

Then went on to Volvo 240, which won a towing award---how i don't know as the rear suspension was badly designed that it rolled like an old sheep on the corners. Although it had more power than the Oxford i had to use the box more because of the higher gearing.

At that time, my wish list was topped by the Austin A110 Westminster, but well out of my league financially.

But I bet you don't miss not having a 2ND gear. I have changed a few Oxford / Cambridge gearboxes with failed 2ND gear synchro hubs worn out in the 60s. That was their major problem.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Hi Lee. I have just somewhat reluctantly sold my 1997 V70 T5 CD Auto. One hell of a towing Machine and solo; Orgasmic,even with 204,566miles on the clock.

It would always and only return 19mpg towing the SuperSirocco and produce between 25mpg and 32mpg on a decent long run.

At 70mpg in cruise on a long motorway/Trunk Route/'A' road run it would give a very respectable 31mpg.

You would struggle to get those mpg figures from a Standard Ford Cologne 2. 9V6 and 4x4 never mind one with two old school turbos bolted on. ;)

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Certainly not our first - a Datsun Cherry 100A - yes, that's right! We used to tow our first little Cygnet 2 berth with it, but, boy, did it struggle up hills! The follow-on Datsun Bluebird 180B was soft on the rear end and needed "stiffening up" a bit, but then we progressed to Ford Cortinas, Sierras and Mondeos, all of which did an admiral job, but nothing like our current FL2 - oh how times have changed!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

No I prefer the tow car I have now to any other previously owned.

Edited by xtrailman

No I prefer the tow car I have now to any other previously used.

I was thinking the same thing :) - Technology has moved on, cars are better etc. .

The only cars I have genuinely 'missed' that where good towcars are:-

Volvo S60 T5 2. 3T 20v Straight 5 330Bhp

Volvo 960 2. 9 24v straight 6 :) 200bhp? - Not sure of the power - LPG conversion.

Volvo 760 2. 8 12v V6 - 170bhp

There was something about these cars but I'm not sure what it was. .? Reasonably fast, very reliable and the most comfy seats of any mass production car on the market. Rubbish fuel economy though :(

I have had some Range Rovers - P38 but they where too unreliable for me to miss them, in fact I was happy to see them go :)

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I affectionately remember my Mk2 Granada, it had a 2. 4 york diesel under the bonnet & uprated everything, brilliant tow car.

I also liked my land crab type Austin 1800. ..so comfy :)

Nothing to do with towing but I wish I'd kept my MGBGT & my Velocette Noddy Bike :wub:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

My best tow car and best ever owned cars were Sierra 4x4. I had 3. The first served me for 175,000 miles and I did 100,000 each in 2 more. The last was a red 2. 9 lowered and with full leather upholstery. May have been chipped as was so much faster than the rest. Did not enquire too closely! Failed the MOT and I sold it for scrap an a moment of madness. Should have kept it off the road for 10 years and rebuilt it. The road holding both wet and dry was fantastic. Bit expensive to run but wow what fun. (I was younger then!!).

Oooh do I ever miss our Mercedes S320 cdi. .... Self levelling air suspension . ..3. 2 ltr 6 cyl turbo diesel. . enough room for us all to spread out. ..efortless towing great presence on the road, 35 mpg solo and 27 with the van on. Really really miss it. .. bad points? hardy ever went wrong, but when it did always a four figure sum to put right. Absolutely useless in snow and ice and rain-we just parked it up! headlamps were pathetic too for such a large fast car. Got to 170k though before we decided its had its day.

Bought it at 5 years old at the height of the banks failing left right and centre for £8500 with 60k on the clock-I thought that an absolute steal. Got £2k last month for it against a new VW Up! The Up! is excellent but when you've had big Mercs everything else is pants. ..