Towing M4-M5 Adventures

suandjas

Hi all

I have a bailey Pegasus 535 and a seat alhambra 2008 140bhp model

I have checked tyre pressures on car and van also nose weight with a milenco gauge

all towing weights are well with in the 85% rules

I got on the m4 at chippenham and headed towards bristol the car feels light on the front and very twitchy above 50mph feels like the van is pulling the car from side to side

I get on the m5 at bristol and every thing changes the van feels stable and i can cruise along at about 60 mph with no worry's all the way down to exeter

i get the same on the return journey car and van are fine til i get on the m4 at bristol where it all becomes twitchy til i get off at chippenham any body got any ideas to whats going on or had the same problems along this stretch of motorway

Stuck drum brake?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

If the weather, particularly the wind, has not changed then the only thing I can put it down to is road conditions. This could be ruts in the nearside lane of the motorway or just the road surface being more slippy than other roads but I would imagine this would have been noticed and recorded somewhere with a view to correction. Other than that unlikely causes could be load shift or wind direction.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

That's a section of motorway I've towed along many times and the only time I would report anything like your experience was when following an articulated truck with an open, flat trailer loaded high with pallets. I guess the air must have been flowing through them and creating all sorts of strange currents.

Sorry, probably not much help unless both journeys on the M4 were in significantly different traffic conditions than your entire M5 journey.

Hi all

I have a bailey Pegasus 535 and a seat alhambra 2008 140bhp model

I have checked tyre pressures on car and van also nose weight with a milenco gauge

all towing weights are well with in the 85% rules

I got on the m4 at chippenham and headed towards bristol the car feels light on the front and very twitchy above 50mph feels like the van is pulling the car from side to side

I get on the m5 at bristol and every thing changes the van feels stable and i can cruise along at about 60 mph with no worry's all the way down to exeter

i get the same on the return journey car and van are fine til i get on the m4 at bristol where it all becomes twitchy til i get off at chippenham any body got any ideas to whats going on or had the same problems along this stretch of motorway

It is very exposed and susceptible to cross winds along that section of the motorway. ....a few inclines too, I always slow down along there.

It is very exposed and susceptible to cross winds along that section of the motorway. ....a few inclines too, I always slow down along there.

:goodpost:

Also, as mentioned, the surface is well worn in places (Leigh Delamare) with deep tram - lining - uncomfortable even in heavily laden LGV.

CPDavis Fordingbridge

:goodpost:

Also, as mentioned, the surface is well worn in places (Leigh Delamare) with deep tram - lining - uncomfortable even in heavily laden LGV.

Agree. Road is getting very old, and it shows