Reversing Aids And Sensors On A Caravan.

AWanderingLancastrian

Hi. Has anyone ever actually fitted reversing sensors onto their caravan?

I ask this simply because of the darker and wetter conditions that are with us and are going to be for some time to come.

If anyone has or has any knowledge of how best this is carried out I would be very interested in knowing.

Are reversing sensors programmable as far as distance from an obstruction is before they start and at the point where they emit a constant tone?

Also does anyone know the law on fitting a reverse/spotlight under the rear and central so that a worthwhile light is put down onto the ground?

I understand that there would have to be an internal warning light in the tow vehicle,but what about connections between the vehicle and the caravan?

Is it a relatively simple case of tapping into the existing vehicle circuits and using the 12N and or the 12S connectors?

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

regards a reversing flood light.

I wired a couple of driving lamps to the rear of my van with a switch on the A-frame. I used the normal driving lamps wiring loom and relay supplied with the lights, but triggered it from the reversing light wire in the tow electrics and via the a-frame switch.

really uselfull when reversing in the dark and rain when the vans normal reversing light just wasn't bright enough. of course its illegal on the road (that's why I fitted a switch), but OK on sites etc.

Reversing sensors on the back of the 'van is a good idea. The reversing sensors on the back of my car cut out automatically when the caravan is connected, so I wonder (taking up your idea) if the caravan reversing sensors could be connected to the display on the car panel? That would be neat! I used to have a pair of reversing lights on the back of the caravan wired via a switch in the car. Using LED lighting would reduce the power required so there would be no problem with voltage loss over the length of the wiring and the cable wouldn't have to be so chunky. This sound like an interesting project eh?

Ern

I have a rear view camera fitted that actually shows a better image in the dark and if I was ever tempted to reverse in the dark my co-pilot would stand behind and signal.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

I would imagine that a reversing camera coupled to more powerful reversing lights would be a better option. I have a friend who bought a brand new car a few weeks ago with very comprehensive reverse sensors built in and they impressed me a lot. Sadly I have just learnt he has backed the car into something and the car is waiting to be repaired . ....... whoops!!!!!

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Fit a good quality rear camera you won't need anything other than standard reversing lights, to much light at the wrong angle at night will white out the image.

I would imagine that a reversing camera coupled to more powerful reversing lights would be a better option. I have a friend who bought a brand new car a few weeks ago with very comprehensive reverse sensors built in and they impressed me a lot. Sadly I have just learnt he has backed the car into something and the car is waiting to be repaired . ....... whoops!!!!!

Hi Capricorn,

I guess that your friend is not a rarity.

How many reversing accidents would it take to convince someone that a reverse view camera is the eventual conclusion of this thread's original thought. I hope I have not offended the OP because as I see it any OP has succeeded if he provokes wider thought.

Indeed I would really like a rear view camera to provide a clip on screen to cover the rear view mirror especially whilst towing. Wing mirrors leave a huge blind spot.

Does anyone know of such a system ?

Swizz

Indeed I would really like a rear view camera to provide a clip on screen to cover the rear view mirror especially whilst towing. Wing mirrors leave a huge blind spot.

Best thing I have fitted to the van tried wireless with not much success but the wired one is great, monitor clips over the rear view mirror so I can watch that and the extended mirrors reversing or when driving. This is what I have they were the best and cheapest i found after a lot of internet trawling. They are very helpful if you give them a ring

http://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com/epages/es106294. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Categories/M700_series

Edited by dave11a

Have a look at this topic

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/83715-has-anyone-fitted-a-rear-view-camera-in-caravan/

Brian

Hi to you all. Yes,indeed Swizz it does and by necessity should and would provoke wider thought.

Indeed the rear-view camera but mounted internally and angled downwards from the rear washroom window (SuperSirocco) with a single and centrally mounted underfloor rectangular spotlight/driving lamp would appear to be the way forward.

I have a very long-time friend that is an auto electrician,I will run it by him on Monday or Tuesday.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I was under the impression that wireless systems failed & missed the final post due to something traumatic.

So wired it is

David

Swizz

Best thing I have fitted to the van tried wireless with not much success but the wired one is great, monitor clips over the rear view mirror so I can watch that and the extended mirrors reversing or when driving. This is what I have they were the best and cheapest i found after a lot of internet trawling. They are very helpful if you give them a ringhttp://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com/epages/es106294. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Categories/M700_series

Expensive but so is a repair bill.

Has anyone else tried one & them to be as satisfactory as dave11a describes. (No disrespect to dave11a intended, 2nd opinions always encourage.)

Also how does the wired link work in practice. How is it routed from van to car?

We wouldn't want the van to be ignited by a short circuit.

Swizz

I have a clip on reversing monitor. It has 2 video feeds so I have a reversing camera on the car (it replaces a number plate light unit with one that has a camera and a small led light). When I select reverse on the car it automatically switches on the monitor. I've then run another wire to the rear of the car, routed next to the tow bar wiring, ending where the socket is and bought a job lot of plastic caps so water won't ruin it. I've then run another video wire from the caravan's wiring socket, underneath the van and then in through a floor vent at the rear. I've then got a reversing camera (attached to a made up bracket and velcroed to the rear shelf) that points out the rear window. When I'm towing I manually turn the monitor on and select the correct video input for the caravan. I just use the monitor then as you would a rear view mirror but it gives a great view out the back of the van. Wouldn't be without it.

I took the power from the fridge feed in the van I think (did it a while ago now) so that it's only powered when the van is connected to the car so that is can't accidentally drain the battery.

Edit: Forgot to say, I bought everything off Ebay and it probably cost less than £50 for the car camera, the monitor, the caravan camera and the extra cabling. I've been using it a couple of years and it all works fine.

Edited by Smarty

There is a product entering the market place very soon, they were being fitted to a couple of the Camping & caravan club vans when I was assisting the fitment of the Pitch Perfect levelling system. Not sure when they are going to market them though.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

I have got and fit numerous reverse cameras to peoples caravans and motorhomes in the Wirral area and have used one for a couple of years now. I would not do without one they are great for the massive blind spot behind the van when towing, i can now see that coach coming up behind me doing 80mph lol and a joy to use in conjunction with my mirrors when reversing onto a pitch.

I have tried the wireless ones but prefer using one that piggy backs the video signal through the cars towing cables so no need for any extra cabling between car and van. I will try and put a few pics on of my swift with flush mounted camera it gives me full 3 lane view when on motorway due to being fitted to top offside corner of my van,

Steve

Has anyone else tried one & them to be as satisfactory as dave11a describes. (No disrespect to dave11a intended, 2nd opinions always encourage.)

Also how does the wired link work in practice. How is it routed from van to car?

I have been using a wired link for the last 7 years . The only fiddle is routing the cable through the van. I would not be without it. See here how I do it .

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Where you site the camera and cable routing will depend on your van. Ours the camera is hard wired from the rear of the van cable tied to existing cables undernath to the A Frame where its taped to the plug with enough spare cable to reach a seperate socket. The one we have has a waterproof plug and socket set up so where you mount it is your choice I decided to leave enough cable from the van to fit the socket in the boot of the car. My brother has just bought an new expensive motor home and that came fitted with a wireless rear camera within 2 weeks it was back at the dealer and replaced with a hard wired version due to the picture always pixilating so I am happy sticking with the wired systems.

Sorry should have added all the power requirements come from the car either wired in or cigarette lighter plug whichever suits your situation.

I have no connection with the company other than a satisfied customer.

Edited by dave11a

why not get a camera with LED's for night vision? most motorhome camera's has this as a standard feature, and they work very well.

Edited by Caravantech

I have got and fit numerous reverse cameras to peoples caravans and motorhomes in the Wirral area and have used one for a couple of years now. I would not do without one they are great for the massive blind spot behind the van when towing, i can now see that coach coming up behind me doing 80mph lol and a joy to use in conjunction with my mirrors when reversing onto a pitch.

I have tried the wireless ones but prefer using one that piggy backs the video signal through the cars towing cables so no need for any extra cabling between car and van. I will try and put a few pics on of my swift with flush mounted camera it gives me full 3 lane view when on motorway due to being fitted to top offside corner of my van,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you saying that you have tied an extra little video cable onto the outside of the 13pin cable? That sounds a neat & workmanlike way of controlling the run of the extra cable.

David

Swizz

no Dave the unit I use multiplexes the video signal through the original cables from the van through the car so no extra cables needed and no radio waves used. best of both worlds you have 2 clever boxes that codes the signal one end and another that un codes the signal at the monitor end similar to the way a baby monitor can be plugged into an upstairs room and listened to in a downstairs room the signal is sent through the house 240v wiring safely

no Dave the unit I use multiplexes the video signal through the original cables from the van through the car so no extra cables needed and no radio waves used. best of both worlds you have 2 clever boxes that codes the signal one end and another that un codes the signal at the monitor end similar to the way a baby monitor can be plugged into an upstairs room and listened to in a downstairs room the signal is sent through the house 240v wiring safely

Hi Steve. Are this bits of magic from Good Old Maplins?

Hi Steve,

Are you saying that you have tied an extra little video cable onto the outside of the 13pin cable? That sounds a neat & workmanlike way of controlling the run of the extra cable.

David

That's exactly how I did it. Very simple and easy to fit with only the cost of the cable. No extra boxes needed.

Some excellent solutions, however, if you are reversing, the odds will be that you will not be doing it in a straight line, and unless you fit a camera all the lights attached to the rear of the van will be useless.

In the old days before cameras were invented (Well, they had been invented but the tripod and a big black cover over your head never made it easy) the solution was to mount a couple of rectangular foglamps behind each of the caravan wheels, angled at about 30 deg. The only disadvantage was that a long straight reverse required an elongated "S" manoeuvre if you couldn't see the verges.

I like sound of this, Steve !

Is this the basis of part of your livelihood & therefor a commercial secret ?

Or can you list parts, prices & method ?

Swizz