Ferry Tickets

Hi all, last time I went on a ferry to France, years ago! the ferry companies appeared not to mind which boat you sailed on, you've paid the money so no worries, in fact I remember hardly ever catching the alotted time ferry, even a day either side wasn't a problem, just got waved on no problem.

But now looking to book I am given an option of fixed ticket or flexible. Difference of £40 ish. Talked to a friend last night who had recently used the tunnel and came back a day earlier than should have on a fixed ticket and he only had to pay 6 euros, so is it worth paying for flexi time?

I fully understand if a bank holiday or prime time you I would get short change but just normal times, is it worth it paying the premuim? :)

Hi all, last time I went on a ferry to France, years ago! the ferry companies appeared not to mind which boat you sailed on, you've paid the money so no worries, in fact I remember hardly ever catching the alotted time ferry, even a day either side wasn't a problem, just got waved on no problem.

But now looking to book I am given an option of fixed ticket or flexible. Difference of £40 ish. Talked to a friend last night who had recently used the tunnel and came back a day earlier than should have on a fixed ticket and he only had to pay 6 euros, so is it worth paying for flexi time?

I fully understand if a bank holiday or prime time you I would get short change but just normal times, is it worth it paying the premuim? :)

Eurotunnel policy on changing reservation times is a little different to the ferries as it only involves any difference in fare between the original cost and the revised crossing. They also permit up to two hours either side of the booked time, without charge, if there is space available.

My grandson travelled out and back with P&O this week and was put on earlier crossings both ways without charge.

Hi Beejay, I fully understand that if you are there early by an hour or two and there is room on the boat there is little point in them not putting you on it. I really mean that if you miss the boat by 6 to12 hours or the following/ previous day.

kind regards, P

I have got earlier and later ferries without problem over the years,however, last time I did Calais to Dover I had to get a ferry 2 days early owing to serious family illness. I was charged £106 as they were full and we still had to wait for the third ferry after arrival at port.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I use DFDS, and again no problem turning up early

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Last time I used P and O Dover Calais I was six hours late (long story.) The guy put it in the computer and said no charge, he did seem surprised it hadn't asked for money. They've always let us on earlier as have Eurotunnel.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

3 years ago I was making final checks the night before an evening departure from Portsmouth -> St. Malo only to discover I should have been on the ferry 4 days earlier!!!

I'd changed the site bookings, the insurance and it seems everything but the ferry!

Long story short. .. I'd booked with Eurocamp Independent so I rang them at 9am next day.

Their initial thought was that Brittany Ferries had probably logged us as a no show but on checking. .. no. .. and they were able to get us on ferry I thought we should be on albeit in a not so plush cabin in the depths of the ship!

I'm not sure I'd have got the same treatment if I'd booked direct though!

On another occasion we arrived at Cherbourg (Brittany again) to hear that our son was on the operating table in Portsmouth for a broken wrist suffered in an indoor snowboarding facility!

We went to ask if we could get on that evenings ferry as we were booked on the next morning one.

"Certainly sir. .. that'll be £134".

"Erm, the lad'll be drowsy from the anaesthetic anyway. .. so we'll stick with the original booking, thanks!"

HTH

G.

hidea(utejeier0euth dwoke up on the morning of our departure datI woke

They have a new policy in place for 2014, so will be interesting to see if they apply it. We've also got on earlier ferries in the past.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We were running late on Thursday to get a DFDS ferry from Calais to Dover so telephoned DFDS to see if there was an extra charge if we didn't make it on time. We were told that you can change the booking once without charge. As it happened we were too late and were put on the next ferry.

Alan

On P&O from Dover or Calais we have been put on earlier ferries on the same day without charge. On DFDS from Calais or Dunkirk we have been put on earlier ferries on same day without charge. But when we got blocked by a motorway closure in the Hague (car accident death) and missed the Hook of Holland - Harwich ferry by 2 hours, we were put on the next ferry but charged the difference in the ferry cost we originally paid and the cost of the ferry had we booked there and then. (Still over £100)

Always look on the bright . .. side of life . .. de. .da de. .da de. .da de. .da.
Bailey Cadiz S4 2019, Ford Edge 2.0

I've probably been on most ferries & arrived early, late, wrong day, wrong port, wrong direction & no matter what the firms Terms & Conditions say, it really depends on the operator or person in the ticket booth what, if any, charges are made.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

Thank you for all your replies, looks like it's best to buy the fixed ticket and take it on the chin if unlucky. Paying the premium upfront charge of $80 for flexi time is not much of a saving if looking at maybe $100 to change ticket. I'll take a punt on it :-)