Balancing Wheels And Premium Tyres

Marks

Just read on another forum, about Bailey singing the praises, well taking about, why they now balance their caravan wheels, not just balance, but to TUV spec, and also the use of Michilin tyres over the more common use of non premium tyres favoured by most caravan manufacturers.

While other manufacturers say balancing, in particular, is not necessary, why have Bailey started doing it, is it PR hype, or do they have a point.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Maybe something to do with the alutec construction being bolted?

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I'd go for the sales pitch angle . ........The only 'van I had trouble with tyres on was fitted with Michelins. .........most of the others have had Hankook and done very nicely thank you.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I marks

I believe if there is a need to balance tyres on a car, there must be a need to balance the tyres on your caravan as well.

Think about it, if you dont get your tyres balanced on your car you would normally get a slight vibration at the best of times and at worst the steering will judder violently.

So yes I agree you do need tyres balanced properly

Offering what people want or think they need, has always been a good marketing ploy.

But, then, balancing a high speeed rotating mass has always been commonsense to me, no matter how much some people poo-poo the notion.

I have had my wheels balanced, I can't understand why you wouldn't.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I can only believe manufacturers and dealers not balancing the wheels and tyres can only be down to cutting costs and maximising profit. :angry:

Naturally no one will be inside the caravan when it is being towed at wheel wobbling speeds, (40 to 60mph). The occupants of the tow car are unlikley to feel the wobbling wheels, so it must be viewed as an unnecessary cost. :rolleyes:

However the physics of the setup cannot be ignored. If a rotating mass, (Wheel and tyre) is not balanced it will reach a rotational speed that will match the natural oscillatory frequency of the caravan’s suspension, (Q - factor) at which point the degree of instability will be amplified. :o

I for one balance my wheels and have fitted shock absorbers to ensure any such oscillations, that could potentially seed a snake are avoided. ;)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

I can only believe manufacturers and dealers not balancing the wheels and tyres can only be down to cutting costs and maximising profit. :angry:

Naturally no one will be inside the caravan when it is being towed at wheel wobbling speeds, (40 to 60mph). The occupants of the tow car are unlikley to feel the wobbling wheels, so it must be viewed as an unnecessary cost. :rolleyes:

However the physics of the setup cannot be ignored. If a rotating mass, (Wheel and tyre) is not balanced it will reach a rotational speed that will match the natural oscillatory frequency of the caravan’s suspension, (Q - factor) at which point the degree of instability will be amplified. :o

I for one balance my wheels and have fitted shock absorbers to ensure any such oscillations, that could potentially seed a snake are avoided. ;)

Damn. ...................! Now I know why I do it! :unsure:

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Surely the vibrations in a caravan would take the destroy efect.

We had the fire front off twice in the Lunar and the spot welds fracture and let the grill burner fall off.

Before we had the wheels balanced

And Yes they took a lot of lead.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

In the days when caravans were built on a heavy chassis, fitted with solid wood furniture, and mounted on spoked wheels, they were only towed at 'modest' speeds then it was possible to get away without balancing the wheels.

BUT that is not the way they are today!

Caravans today are generally built on a lightweight chassis, fitted with the lightest of furniture, and mounted on wheels that make up a much greater proportion of the total caravan weight. These units then have to be capable of being towed safely at motorway speeds, and as a consequence, in my opinion wheel balancing is absolutely essential if your pride and joy is not going to be shaken to bits en route to your campsite.

It's a case of balance it or break it!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Mine are balanced. I think it is essential if you have Tyron bands fitted.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I balanced the wheels on our 4 year old Abbey Spectrum Twin Axle when I changed the tyres. the difference was quite noticeable in how smooth it towed and a got around 2mpg improvement. not a great improvement but when you are towing at 20mpg, 10% is quite a bit.

ive not yet balanced them on the Delta, but will do so at some point.

We've talked of the benefit of wheel balancing a lot over the years, I did ask one manufacture if they still balanced their wheels but they said no as it wasn't necessary.

Perhaps this is because items damaged from vibrations are covered by the fridge or heater manufacturer etc :unsure:

I always have the wheels balanced ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It would need drums balanced to get the best from balancing wheels.

Can't say I have seen any evidence of brake drums being balanced when I have stripped wheels off.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

For the first few trips with my previous caravan I had constant problems with the fitted furniture shaking itself apart and on arrival on site I would always find several screws lying on the floor. The caravan dealer told me that it was unecessary to balance the wheels but I went and had it done anyway. One wheel needed 125 grammes of lead and the other needed 90 grammes. After having the wheels balanced I never had any more problems with loose furniture and the caravan felt much more stable on the road. So as far as I'm concerned "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" and I'm convinced of the benefit to be gained from balancing the wheels.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Can't say I have seen any evidence of brake drums being balanced when I have stripped wheels off.

Dave

Well if you were going the whole hog you should have the wheels dynamically ballanced ON the hubs for perfect balancing. But the cost and availability of this service are prohibitive.

So it is, in essence, a damage limitation exercise doing just the wheels. ..but never the less, better than nothing.

I would imagine the manufacturing process of the drums is a lot more accurate for balancing than tyres. The only tyres i have ever had fitted that didn't need any weights were expensive Avon slicks.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Just read on another forum, about Bailey singing the praises, well taking about, why they now balance their caravan wheels, not just balance, but to TUV spec, and also the use of Michilin tyres over the more common use of non premium tyres favoured by most caravan manufacturers.

While other manufacturers say balancing, in particular, is not necessary, why have Bailey started doing it, is it PR hype, or do they have a point.

What's TuV spec balancing?

Dave

Seem to recall this being debated elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Brake drums are machined and there cannot be much variation in the thickness. The dimensions are around 250mm x 50mm which are considerably less than a wheel assembly.

It doesn't matter if the the tyres are premium or not - it's false economy not to have them balanced even if they are to be used on a caravan!

Two tyre dealers have told me that premium tyres are unnecessary especially since the caravan manufactures (apart from Bailey it seems) don't see the need to fit them. As they were in the business of selling me tyres I tended to believe them.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

I have thought of having the van tyres balanced for some time after having a problem curing wheel wobble on my Citroen C5. The wheel wobble was pretty bad when I bought the car just over a year ago. I had the wheels balanced and the tracking done which helped but I still had a a bit of wheel wobble at 60mph. Even new front tyres did not help much. The wheels were standard alloy wheels with a centre hole and not the awkward ones without a centre hole. When I had the front tyres fitted on the rear and new front tyres fitted the problem persisted but in fitting the tyres the locking nuts got worn so I replaced them with standard bolts and the wheel wobble went without a trace. Dynamic banacing would have helped but it would have made changing a wheel expensive as it would have to be re-balanced. I will have my van tyres balanced and look into fitting shock absorbers if this is possible with a mover fitted before the next season starts.

Edited by Capricorn12

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Seem to recall this being debated elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Brake drums are machined and there cannot be much variation in the thickness. The dimensions are around 250mm x 50mm which are considerably less than a wheel assembly.

So why are car drum brakes always balanced? As said members on here have remarked about their drums being out of balance when they spin them and they return to the same mark .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Out of balance or out of true ?

There is nothing to suggest that if they not quite round on the outside that they are also not machined round on the internal braking surface. Its also quite possible that they are fully balanced even if not quite perfectly round.

Edited by clairendave

The drum is at the centre of the wheel & will have much less of an effect on balance, the tyre/wheel being on the outer circumference has a greater influence

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)