Baptism Of Fire

cugsy

Not too bad for friday the you know what. .. I travelled to Louth to look at an Elddis Hurricane GTX and after some long checking and haggling I bought it. Then came the lessons on where every thing was and what it does. I did notice that the old guy selling it had a lovely flat concrete bit for it to sit on. Shame I didn't. ..

Anyway,after putting the mirrors on and taking a deep breath I set off. After picking up his plant pot I set off again. Cue 110 miles of lincolnshires crazy roads and tiny towns before getting back to A roads and norfolk. I was bricking myself that the car would conk out or the first small gap I squeezed through would see me filling in claim forms until next Christmas. ..never mind this one. But, the sodding thing was actually quite nice to drive. OK, the auto gearbox might have needed the tiptronic to change up every now and then. But,ultimately though - the combination was incredibly stable. That's the good news. .

By the time I got back home though it was getting dark and I had no chance of reversing down the farm track for 400 yards and then into the drive. So I drove forward and into the drive. I Unhooked the tow ball and jockey wheel and then the caravan rolled about a foot forward and collapsed onto the tow bar. The drive drops about 12" which I hadn't noticed until 980 kg of caravan turned up. So,I had an hour trying to move the thing by myself. ..and ended up breaking the door window on the corner of the garage. Fortunately I have a friendly farmer and him and some muscle turned up to manhandle the caravan in for me.

So,lessons learned. Towing isn't the fear filled event I thought it was. And nearly a ton of caravan is still subject to newtons laws and gravity. I ain't that strong! And finally I will learn how to repair an Elddis Hurricane door window. Anyone know a caravan breakers in the east? John

http://www. norfolkcaravanbreakers. co. uk/

Might help?........... I also visited one outside Ipswich during the summer but don't remember the name. ..but I got it from the Bailey Dealers on the A12 North of Woodbridge.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Not too bad for friday the you know what. .. I travelled to Louth to look at an Elddis Hurricane GTX and after some long checking and haggling I bought it. Then came the lessons on where every thing was and what it does. I did notice that the old guy selling it had a lovely flat concrete bit for it to sit on. Shame I didn't. ..

Anyway,after putting the mirrors on and taking a deep breath I set off. After picking up his plant pot I set off again. Cue 110 miles of lincolnshires crazy roads and tiny towns before getting back to A roads and norfolk. I was bricking myself that the car would conk out or the first small gap I squeezed through would see me filling in claim forms until next Christmas. ..never mind this one. But, the sodding thing was actually quite nice to drive. OK, the auto gearbox might have needed the tiptronic to change up every now and then. But,ultimately though - the combination was incredibly stable. That's the good news. .

By the time I got back home though it was getting dark and I had no chance of reversing down the farm track for 400 yards and then into the drive. So I drove forward and into the drive. I Unhooked the tow ball and jockey wheel and then the caravan rolled about a foot forward and collapsed onto the tow bar. The drive drops about 12" which I hadn't noticed until 980 kg of caravan turned up. So,I had an hour trying to move the thing by myself. ..and ended up breaking the door window on the corner of the garage. Fortunately I have a friendly farmer and him and some muscle turned up to manhandle the caravan in for me.

So,lessons learned. Towing isn't the fear filled event I thought it was. And nearly a ton of caravan is still subject to newtons laws and gravity. I ain't that strong! And finally I will learn how to repair an Elddis Hurricane door window. Anyone know a caravan breakers in the east? John

Welcome from a fellow Norfolk caravanner. Local Elddis dealer is Greentrees at Dereham who should be able to get you a new one if all else fails although my first port of call wd be Norwich Caravans, Cromer Rd, Hevingham, Norwich who I know can find parts for older caravans, or Drayton Caravans, Heigham Street, Norwich.

Put your initial problems when you arrived home down to experience and look forward now to the better weather and enjoying some great caravanning in the fab part of the world we are fortunate enough to live in!

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Good advice mate. Forget what happened and move along please. .In the cold light of day the best thing is the feeling that 'its ours'. Mind, the wife hasn't seen it yet and will probably run her Hyacinth Bouquet eye over it. I'll be ringing a lot of places today and cleaning and washing etc. First thing out is that toilet cassette. ..eeeee

Ok - sourced a window from a bloke on ebay called the caravandoctor. ..he said it will fit. Found some little jokon lenses. Got hold of a domestic to 3 pin cable to charge the battery and its happily charging away. The 12v lights are a lot brighter anyway. Took all of the seats and cushions out for a good airing and put the heater and de-humidifier in for a few hours 'til later.

I did pick up all of the window pieces and with a LOT of patience and glue managed to get it back in the door. Not pretty but function over form,eh? Or is it the other way?

Funny thing is, when I looked under the cushions there was a box I figured out was for the battery compartment. The wood was a little damp and I imagine there must have been some considerable thought that went into that design. ...I think I'll waterproof that tomorrow because the seal on the battery door looks rubbish. I need to see if I can get the awning on without filling a swear bottle too. Oh, and finally - how do I get the flies out of the outer window/inner window bit? Lots to do and a new case of OCD to llive with. John :lol:

Cugsy, not sure if you are new to caravanning or not but if you take the toilet cassette apart you can really get these clean. Good oppty to check the lip seal for leaks and replace if necessary - guessing its a Thetford loo?

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Yep - theres a thetford loo . Thats next tomorrow in the daylight.