Amara 520/4 Electrics. Adding To

Manty

Just acquired above van, dry and in good condition. Has anyone experience of adding to the number of 3 pin outlets? There are none to the back half of the van. (Do not mean in the bathroom!) The offside is no problem but I cannot find a mains run on the inside wall. Want to put one over the hob as we do not use that. Also would like to move waste outlets from rear to side. Is that easily done?

Fitted 16amp sockets to the bathroom now on a few vans. Find the nearest accessible power supply and run a spur armoured 16 amp cable (wickes etc) from it underneath the van to come up where you want your socket.

16 amp socket! What are you doing, arc welding?

I think you mean 13 amp socket. It's a good idea to keep water and electrics as far apart as possible and remember you may not use the hob now but that could change or you could sell the van to some numpty who does use the hob.

You need a maximum of 2. 5mm twin and earth cable as this can carry about 18amps in free air and on a short cable run. You can connect into an existing socket nearby. Use a cable similar to that fitted to the van. I think armoured cable is a bit OTT!

Caravans generally don't use ring main but simply daisy chain the sockets so your extension will be no different to what exists.

We have a Amara with annoying rear mounted waste pipes and I did think of moving the to just behind the offside rear wheel. The OH came up with a simpler idea, a long length of waste pipe. When pitched on a slopping site that means the waste outlet is on the ground we attach the long hose and run it under the van to the front and into the waste container. This works well due to the slope.

Towing: More Brains than More Horsepower.

yes I do mean 13 amp, need to get my brain in gear as its been a while. In terms of the armoured cable firstly its not expensive and secondly as it runs outside the caravan its then protected from vermin such as mice who love to chew on cables. so I would always use this cable on external power sources.

Thanks for your replies. I wont make the hob un-useable just a plug above it to plug in kettle and coffee maker.