George Clark's Amazing Spaces

mechs

Anyone see last night's? I missed the start and I know there's been a few caravans on it but this one last night was about the bravest yet;

http://www. channel4. com/programmes/george-clarkes-amazing-spaces

Compass Shadow 1988

And they paid £500 for that pile of poo :o . Better ones on Fleabay without the rot and damp.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Great programme. ...... Lot of clever conversions. The £500 caravan was paid for with a grant.

The buyers had no experience of buying just the need for an old van. They did a good conversion and good luck to them.

The seller is better off by £500 and may use it to buy a better van. ........ What goes round come round. .... ;)

Next Thursday's Christmas offering should be a treat. :)

Value?

Would you pay £3000 - £10000 for a restored Shepherd's Wagon with wooden wheels that needs a horse to move it around?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I know I wouldn't have paid 500 pence for that but at least they did a good job and profited from it. I only watched the two clips on the site. Might actually watch the start to see the inside conditon of it.

Did they actually break apart the roof and back wall etc too and sort any rot? I assume the floor was rotten as I heard them say a foot went through it or something at the end. Not a circus fan myself but good job.

I liked that shepherd's wagon too!

Never actually religously watched the show as i'm not usually into "property" programmes but this one's different so try and watch when I can.

Compass Shadow 1988

The series has now finished so it will be a repeat you will need to find Mechs. .........

I was able to watch it on C4+1 (9. 00 to 10. 00 pm)

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I found it on the demand thing so will watch later on.

Compass Shadow 1988

Mechs - There was no video or discussion on the van conversion. One moment it had a rotten floor with damp and rotten walls. Then it was finished.

However I did see that George Clark's head touched the roof so they elevated the floor or dropped the ceiling. I felt that we would have learnt more if they had filmed the conversion.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Mechs - There was no video or discussion on the van conversion. One moment it had a rotten floor with damp and rotten walls. Then it was finished.

However I did see that George Clark's head touched the roof so they elevated the floor or dropped the ceiling. I felt that we would have learnt more if they had filmed the conversion.

Ah right that's what I was hoping to see, the conversion!

It was the same with the other week, a caravan was converted into a hair salon. Nice but did they actually take it all apart and rebuild or just cur the furniture out and spruce it up? :unsure:

Compass Shadow 1988

£500 for that old van does not surprise me. Prices for anything old is going up just because people want something as a project, so sellers jack the price up to take advantage of this.

Look at cars like the throw away metro's, allegro's and the like, you won't pick them up for a few hundred quid anymore. Im afraid its the same with old caravans :(

1994 Nissan Patrol 4. 2d Gr SGX (rolling restoration) tugs a 2012 Swift Challenger Sport 586. with outdoor revolution 400 porch awning.

The hole in the floor may have been the Space Heater mounting area.

It was, the way they were talking after the refurbishment George Clark said he was sure that was the bit his foot went through so I thought it must've been really rotten! But after watching he put his foot through and said he thinks that's where the heater goes.

I know there seems to be no such thing as an old, cheap caravan these days unless it's absolutely in a dire way. I remember purchasing caravans that just needed a bit TLC for a couple of hundred quid. Now that's rare unless it's like the one in the show.

Compass Shadow 1988

Yes it was, the carver 1800

Great programme. ...... Lot of clever conversions. The £500 caravan was paid for with a grant.

Would you pay £3000 - £10000 for a restored Shepherd's Wagon with wooden wheels that needs a horse to move it around?

Would it be accepted on a CC site and if so what would they charge for the horse?

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

:goodpost: Good post

Would it be accepted on a CC site and if so what would they charge for the horse?

poolebob

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

I have loved watching the programme, but do wonder what people thing they are buying!

We paid £300 for a 1970 ish Ace Dimplomat in the summer which we have converted into an ice cream parlour. It was rotting in may places so it was stripped right back to the wooden frame which was cut out and replaced where necessary. New electrics, kitchen and hygenic wall boards have all been fitted together with a side hatch.

Our ice cream van!!

We were at a Christmas market at the weekend and we were told the wheel hubs (original ones with Ace on them) are worth £250 each!!

If we have a rubbish summer next year, they will be going on ebay with the original cooker!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

That's brill Pat! It was you I was thinking of when I was watching with them opening up the doors.

Making me think about the wheel hubs now. Mine are original except have a splash of red on them. Mine's a 1974 'van. I'll do some research. Funnily enough a few folk commented that the wheel hubs were the best thing about the caravan given the state it was in! :D

Compass Shadow 1988

I have loved watching the programme, but do wonder what people thing they are buying!

We paid £300 for a 1970 ish Ace Dimplomat in the summer which we have converted into an ice cream parlour. It was rotting in may places so it was stripped right back to the wooden frame which was cut out and replaced where necessary. New electrics, kitchen and hygenic wall boards have all been fitted together with a side hatch.

We were at a Christmas market at the weekend and we were told the wheel hubs (original ones with Ace on them) are worth £250 each!!

If we have a rubbish summer next year, they will be going on ebay with the original cooker!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I love your caravan!

George Clark's Amazing Spaces is my favourite programme. There is very little that has been included in the various series that I haven't liked. I love the idea of small space living, particularly if it can all be done off grid. The living area of his "tree house" with the various fold out, slot together, fold down bits and bobs of essential furniture were absolute genious.

Unfortunately, I have no creative flair so by the time I'd paid George Clarke and his carpenter pal enough to sort something out for me I'd be waaaaaaaaay over budget!!

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Really loved George Clarkes programs and found some of the conversions inspirational while others seemed not worth the effort for the final result. Love your conversion Patp and it certainly looks the part.

When I started caravanning in 1980 I contemplated buying an old van and converting it to a folding van to get it in the garage and save on wind drag. Knowing what I know now I am glad I went off the idea.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Thanks for your lovely comments about "Dave" our ice cream parlour. Although we were questioned about our madness, we didnt want to turn up to food festivals in the typical burger van type trailer.

As for cost, my Sister in law and myself did most of the work ourselves then a chippy and electrician came in to do the bits and pieces we couldnt (including the hatch). There isnt a part of the van we dont know. I even helped my son in law spray it (although if we can earn some money it will be done again in a year or so as we had to use so much mastic to get it water tight some paint is flaking).

Cost including buying the van came in at about £2,500 which we thought was good, so hopefully it will see us okay for a while yet.

I love turning up at an event in it and hopefully we can start getting some wedding bookings in 2014

Here he is at a recent Christmas Festival with the "Star of Dave" on the roof!!

1455055_612253848839461_428939279_n.jpg

Edited by Patp

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong