Bailey Senator Battery Charging

Hotrodder

I have just purchased a 2009 Senator Indiana, the battery is only a few months old, has been fine, left over the last few weeks it now looks according to the on-board meter that it has almost flattened. I have had the mains plugged in at home for a couple of days but it still hasn't brought it back to over 12Volts, do you have to have any of the main board switches on to charge - any other advise i. e. putting a car battery charger on for a few hours

It looks like your charger is not charging for some reason. The voltmeter should go up to around 13. 8v as soon as you switch the mains on. Check that all mains connections into your charger are pushed in and have not become loose.

Brian

All batteries benefit from a bench charge on a good charger. Your vans system may just maintain it.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Check the trip switch on the main fuse board. If this is on as is the one marked charger and you have power to the 240v sockets the charger may be faulty. There is a 12v fuse to battery in the fusebox, check this as well. If its charging the meter should show 13+ volts. There are no switches to turn charge on or off it is automatic.

It's very common for the kettle type 230v connector into the charger to become loose. .... UNPLUG CARAVAN FROM 230v SUPPLY, remove PSU front cover, you should see the connector on the left hand side going into the bottom of the charger. If it isn't loose ( & you have confirmed 230v supply to the unit) then your charger may have failed.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Hi hotrodder, I've got a senator and just changed the onboard charger, they fail with alarming regularity according to chaps that do our servicing. You might want to look at this previous thread regarding the same issue, both myself and rovertug (and a few others) have fitted the amperor charger unit and I'm very happy with it, not only is it cheaper than the standard bca replacement but it has a 3 stage charge mode for the so called "bench" charge and a float mode which you can leave it in once you are fully charged.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/89486-psu-battery-charger-20amp/

Thanks all I will check the unit think its under the bed, I have bought a new car charger and maintenance unit for another vehicle I will try that. the van has had little use and only 4 years old strange if the charges gone?

The battery chargers in caravans are generally low spec units, the output is limited to 13. 4 volts or so to stop them 'boiling the battery dry' by overcharging. This is a reasonably safe approach as they may be left switched on/connected to the mains for long periods of time.

The downside is that they will only ever bring the battery up to around 80% charged and from a battery maintenance point of view this isn't good, batteries like to get charged to 100% to keep them in peak condition, and make them last longer.

I have a Ctek (http://www. ctek-chargers. com) charger that I use at home to bring my leisure battery up to 100% on a regular basis. I also use this on the car battery too. Ctek chargers can be left connected indefinitely with no risk of overcharging, they are apparently popular with the owners of vintage/veteran vehicles as well as exotic occasional drives like Lamborghini & Ferrari. Also widely used in marine applications as they will charge AGM batteries. Not cheap at around £80 for a mid range unit but they do a good job.

A digital multimeter would also be a good buy for the caravan tool box, £10 off every bodies favorite on-line auction site. If your battery has conventional screw tops on the individual cells, check and top up the electrolyte, use de-mineralised water not tap water.

The old fashioned battery hydrometer is also a great tool, it allows you to check the individual cells, all the readings should be around the same. Usually when a battery fails its just one or two cells that have died, often one of the end cells.

If you charge with a more conventional battery charger and check the charge level with a digital multi-meter allow the battery to stand for 24 hours before testing.

One tip - don't try charging with a Ctek or any other conventional battery charger AND the caravan on-board charger at the same time.

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

Check your charger connections 1st, if the chargers u/s fit the Amperor it can do both float charging and rapid charging, has 25 amps capability and doesn't cost an arm and a leg that the CTEK does. CTEK's are great but not needed for this application.

All batteries benefit from a bench charge on a good charger. Your vans system may just maintain it.

Tic tac's test actually proved the on board charger will fully charge a battery, a 3 stage charger isn't required.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/89301-what-leisure-batteries-are-hungry-for/

Result in post 54.

Edited by xtrailman

Tic tac's test actually proved the on board charger will fully charge a battery, a 3 stage charger isn't required.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/89301-what-leisure-batteries-are-hungry-for/

Result in post 54.

Not really, he did not state what caravan power supply he has exactly did he? - A lot of newer caravan power supplies are multi stage apparently.

For myself, I would like to know exactly the make and model Tac's van charger is.

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

No but he described his charger as "dumb".

And why would he want to test a smart charger against another smart charger?

No but he described his charger as "dumb".

And why would he want to test a smart charger against another smart charger?

Exactly. .. It was never proven that his van charger was 'dumb'.. I am not trying to belittle the findings or the man, it was a great experiment.

Some seemingly dumb charger units apparently raise voltage to 14. 4v for a few minutes every four hours or so to 'top-up' the battery when load is low, but at first glance appear 'dumb'.

Mahatma Gandhi

TT has posted me his charger details.

Model ps276-1-Bcsm

DC output 13. 8 volts 24 amps.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/CARAVAN-12-VOLT-20AMP-TRANSFORMER-BATTERY-CHARGER-PS276-1-BCSM-/370931154473

Edited by xtrailman

TT has posted me his charger details.

Model ps276-1-Bcsm

DC output 13. 8 volts 24 amps.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/CARAVAN-12-VOLT-20AMP-TRANSFORMER-BATTERY-CHARGER-PS276-1-BCSM-/370931154473

Now I'm confused. .. That looks like a BCS charger, it even has BCS in the model number, but it's says 'Powerpart' ?

But the reason I wanted to check was that they also make these chargers - They occasionally up the charging voltage.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/CARAVAN-DUAL-STAGE-12V-TRANSFORMER-BATT-Charger-20-amp-FREE-UK-NEXT-DAY-DEL-/151180464311?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item23330ed0b7

Mahatma Gandhi

Well just been in van, had left mains plugged in for a couple of days and the meter reads around 12. 7 so charger must be ok, can't find the inboard charger it's not under the bed or front seat area? Any ideas ? I have a good multi stage float charger which I will use from time to time

Well just been in van, had left mains plugged in for a couple of days and the meter reads around 12. 7 so charger must be ok, can't find the inboard charger it's not under the bed or front seat area? Any ideas ? I have a good multi stage float charger which I will use from time to time

It's usually inbuilt into the fusebox unit at the back.

Mahatma Gandhi

Should be over 12. 7 really to be any good, the inboard charger if its the same consumer unit as my senator is actually inside the consumer unit.

Looking at the front where the rcd and switches are, remove the 4 screws and slide the plastic cover off (make sure the power s off!), the cover may come off easily or if it was fitted by the same idiot at bailey as mine you will need to swear and grunt

Once the cover is removed you can see the exposed wires in the bottom half of the consumer unit and t the top of the consumer unit is a metal box on a plastic shelf, it is slid into 2 runners either side and has the old kettle style black plug in the front.

If you are going to change the charger for a better unit, before you do the job bear in mind you will have to extend the wires though the back of the unit as your replacement charger probably wont fit on the shelf, siting it outside of the unit improves the ventilation and should preserve the life of the unit though, it's not a difficult job but think twice depending on your electrical skills. Better safe than dead!

Edited by sleepyfolk

Now I'm confused. .. That looks like a BCS charger, it even has BCS in the model number, but it's says 'Powerpart' ?

But the reason I wanted to check was that they also make these chargers - They occasionally up the charging voltage.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/CARAVAN-DUAL-STAGE-12V-TRANSFORMER-BATT-Charger-20-amp-FREE-UK-NEXT-DAY-DEL-/151180464311?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item23330ed0b7

Yep it is a BCS charger, as fitted to Bailey caravans, despite whats written on forums a they DONT regularly fail (I have many customers with fully functional BCS chargers). Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

Yep it is a BCS charger, as fitted to Bailey caravans, despite whats written on forums a they DONT regularly fail (I have many customers with fully functional BCS chargers).

Don't quite understand that comment, if people say there's has failed (as I did) then surely it's failed? Or are you trying say they might not be as bad as the forumites may lead you to believe?

FWIW, the charger in my Senator that failed was not the best from a quality point of view, it's certainly not helped in the location that's it's fitted in, why they put it in the top of the fuse box beggars belief.

Regards - J

No. ..what I mean is. ... A lot of different makes of chargers fail not just because they are a certain model. Over the years I've changed many chargers but so far only one of the model in question.

In my experience chargers tend to fail prematurely largely due to trying to charge failed/poorly maintained batteries.

I have to agree with the "medic", my last senator a 2004 still had the same charger when I traded in at 7 years old, but it was sited outside the PDU, and I also improved the cooling by spacing the unit off on its fixings, allowing air flow around all the box.

The only reason the PSU/charger in inside the PDU is to speed up installation, I intend to re-site my unit outside the box after the 3 year service due March.

I also believe touring on the continent in high temperatures is responsible for some of the failures.

Good advice from Ten star.

During winter I take my leisure battery out of the van and keep it charged with a Ctek multi-stage charger on the bench. I put an old car battery in the van so I can use the lights, the mover and so I can keep the heating on tick over (set at 5 degrees C). The van is kept in my garden so am able to keep it permanently hooked up to mains.

That way I don't particularly care if the onboard battery is not properly and fully charged by the onboard charger.

Tom

Adria Adora 612DL Seine + Lexus RX450h

. ..........but having now read Tictac's comparison of 'smart' chargers vs. 'dumb' chargers, perhaps I'm wasting my time!

Adria Adora 612DL Seine + Lexus RX450h

Just thinking . ............. as the charger is always connected to the battery (unless a fuse fails) then is it safe to connect another charger to the battery while still in situ. Will this cause any damage to the onboard charger if the battery is taken up to 14. 6v which my smart charger does on initial charge before dropping down to 13. 8 float charge. The 12v circuits in the van can be isolated from the battery by a switch so no damage should befall them.

Edited by Capricorn12

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4