Buying New Swift

bazzeruk

Finally decided the van for us is the Swift Challenger SE 570. Next problem is which dealer?

Living in Wiltshire our first choice would be Swindon caravans

Any good or bad experiences?

When I had the motorhome, there was a forum section dedicated to dealer reports, but no such section here?

Thanks for all comments

You could try Chichester Caravans. Bit further or Michael Jordan nr Guildford. Both been good for us.

Been to Swindon but never bought from them.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

We bought our 2013 Delta Ti through Oxford Caravans in April this year, same part of the group as Swindom & Reading Caravans. Gave us a very good discount just by asking. Hopefully, as they all come under the wing of Guy Collister, the Dealer Principle, then you'll have a good experience. Just hope that the service/aftersales is better at Swindon than at Oxford though :rolleyes: .

If it's a new 'van http://www. swindoncaravans. com/caravan_details. php?CaravanId=3B6A355DE3FA832E80257C1500397D1F, I reckon you could get another £000 or so of their advertised price of £18995 ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

If it's not you could always use your local Approved Workshop ;-)

We bought our 2013 Delta Ti through Oxford Caravans in April this year, same part of the group as Swindom & Reading Caravans. Gave us a very good discount just by asking. Hopefully, as they all come under the wing of Guy Collister, the Dealer Principle, then you'll have a good experience. Just hope that the service/aftersales is better at Swindon than at Oxford though :rolleyes: .

If it's a new 'van http://www. swindoncaravans. com/caravan_details. php?CaravanId=3B6A355DE3FA832E80257C1500397D1F, I reckon you could get another £000 or so of their advertised price of £18995 ;) .

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Of course ;) ;)

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Will certainly try or at least get some "free" goodies as first timers!

My 2 year old one is for sale at North Staffs Caravans :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Bit far for us!!

How happy are you with the new one?

Good bunch of guys there, always happy to help, have not bought from them since 1994 tho, still getting over the shock at how much I paid !!!

Never mind 2goodies" go for 15% discount. Or as close as you can get

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I can't understand anyone not going a local distance, the distance you are prepared to drag it back to, should there be problems. Much justification for this in the many other postings on here. Besides, Guy and the team at Swindon are excellent.

I can't understand anyone not going a local distance, the distance you are prepared to drag it back to, should there be problems. Much justification for this in the many other postings on here. Besides, Guy and the team at Swindon are excellent.

That's what I needed to hear. I want to buy locally and am not going to chase a few pounds if I can get good service. Thanks for the info

Bit far for us!!

How happy are you with the new one?

Its coming on 8th Jan I'm told

In view of previous post I thought it worth a mention as its pristeen

Good luck

We loved the 570

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

We have dealt with Highbridge Caravans in Somerset, not that far from Swindon. Always had good

service and a good deal. Whatever you do stay fairly local so that you do not have any long distances to travel for warranty work.

Just to clarify, there isn't 15% margin in a new Swift caravan (unless Swift sell some left over stock at the end of the season, but that doesn't really happen these days with them) just in case anyone thinks we have 50% mark up in these things! (we wish!)

I'm talking about Challenger and Conqueror ranges. The best discount I was offered was fifteen percent. That was in November last year on a new Challenger for delivery following March so not old stock. Bought a Bailey got thirteen percent off plus motor mover from old van fitted on new.

I do agree that I would always buy locally but I'll shop around all over for best price then politely ask my local dealer to match it.

again (and this goes for bailey as well) they don't have that margin in them for most dealers, though as you can imagine, the bigger the dealer, the more vans they order, i don't believe for a second that a manufacture wouldn't give them an extra incentive for ordering so many, which as a smaller dealer, we would never get the luxury of, hence why they might be able to offer the little bit more compared to your local, friendly dealer.

For most to sell either van at that sort of discount at the start of a season, they would be making a loss, which for any business, is only sustainable for a certain amount of time, take discover leisure and the original Goodalls are your 2 examples of this, and there are plenty out there that have had to shrink the size of their network, or have gone bust and re-appeared with a slightly different names in recent years, for this very reason, the term that's known in the industry as "over trading"

edit: forgot to add, irrespective of the model range, they have the same margin (for Swift and Bailey at least)

Edited by Caravantech

Afternoon.

We have bought our last two Challengers from Newport Caravans. They gave us very good deals both times. Their after- sales is very good as well.

Gerald

again (and this goes for bailey as well) they don't have that margin in them for most dealers, though as you can imagine, the bigger the dealer, the more vans they order, i don't believe for a second that a manufacture wouldn't give them an extra incentive for ordering so many, which as a smaller dealer, we would never get the luxury of, hence why they might be able to offer the little bit more compared to your local, friendly dealer.

For most to sell either van at that sort of discount at the start of a season, they would be making a loss, which for any business, is only sustainable for a certain amount of time, take discover leisure and the original Goodalls are your 2 examples of this, and there are plenty out there that have had to shrink the size of their network, or have gone bust and re-appeared with a slightly different names in recent years, for this very reason, the term that's known in the industry as "over trading"

edit: forgot to add, irrespective of the model range, they have the same margin (for Swift and Bailey at least)

As someone who worked in the motor trade on both sides of the fence for 45 years, I am well aware that like motor dealers, caravan dealers make most of their money on used vans and accessories.

I will be looking for a deal, but not to the extent where the dealer has no profit left - I need him to stay in business!

Just discovered that the 570SE won the Practical Caravan award as best caravan for a couple in 2012 - can't be bad!

I used to sell caravans for a large multi franchise dealer in the NE, but stress that was a long time ago. We had margins of up to 22% in those days but I know that margins have come down over the years to keep list prices down. The higher the range the more margin, so you would get a "higher" part ex allowance against a Conqueror than a Sprite.

I appreciate things have changed: I say 15% as that was the best I was offered. If you're part ex-ing the dealer will normally take Glass's Guide bottom (trade price) book and stand the part ex at that. He'll add on whatever amount of his margin he is prepared to forgo and that is the part ex price. If your part ex is particularly desirable or he thinks he can sell it quickly and profitably he may stand it at more than bottom book, thus increasing the part ex price. The OP has no part ex so the discount he gets is transparent.

I'd politely request Caravantech to say what discount (margin) they get off Swift and Bailey.

Edited by henrypartridge

I agree with Henry, I too was in the trade. 15% was on the lower end cheaper models! but dealer discount ran up to 25% for the higher end models. I'm not aware this has changed. If margins are lower these days it's probably because manufs got sick of dealers just giving it away to compete with other dealers.

I agree with Henry, I too was in the trade. 15% was on the lower end cheaper models! but dealer discount ran up to 25% for the higher end models. I'm not aware this has changed. If margins are lower these days it's probably because manufs got sick of dealers just giving it away to compete with other dealers.

That's exactly what happened in the motor trade. Car dealers now get small upfront margins and the rest is based on customer satisfaction results, facility standards and sales processes. These are paid retrospectively so dealers are never quite sure how much they gave to give away.