Touring Scotland

MEG55

Where do you suggest as must see places in Scotland. We plan to tour for two weeks next year. Thinking of Loch Lomond, Fort William, Inverness.

Suggestions please.

We like Scenery, Water especially coastal, nice walks and nice wee towns.

Please note we have now sold the caravan and have a Motorhome, I am being cheeky posting here but I know the response will be good. :)

2015 ABI ASHCROFT EXCL

I would recomend anywhere as we have great coastal areas and top sites

but for your information scotland will be busy next year comenwealth games is on and other scotland events

so pick your dates and book early

billy

Hi Meg - so glad you haven't deserted us! We are also hoping to get up to Scotland next year (with caravan) so will follow the replies with interest. We have been before and definitely on our list is Fort William, probably no further north with the van, but we may then go across Aviemore way before cutting back down through Pitlochry. Look forward to seeing what suggestions come flooding in.

Regards, Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

"Thinking of Loch Lomond, Fort William, Inverness."

Many tourists head to these places every year, but without wishing to be negative, there are many other places all around Scotland that are more attractive and will leave you with a happier memory of the country.

Loch Lomond is a scenically attractive area but it does get extremely busy in the summer and, for me anyway, the atmosphere can be spoiled by the large numbers of speedboats and jet-skiers on the loch.

Fort William has become quite depressed in the past few years and personally I'd recommend Oban as a destination in that area.

Inverness is worth a visit, if only because it's the capital of the Highlands, and it has some good shops but personally I'd prefer to stay on the Black Isle at places like Rosemarkie.

For scenery, walking and nice wee towns I'd recommend going further north and west into Wester Ross and Sutherland.

You might also want to consider the east coast of Scotland. The fishing villages of Fife are worth a visit, as is the East Lothian coast with coastal towns like North Berwick. If you want dry, sunny weather there is usually more chance of that on the east coast than the west.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Lots of good SCC Rallies, worth a look at their websites.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/uk-holidays/be-inspired/scottish-tours

The above link to Caravan Club website gives some suggestions for Scottish tours.

Not specifically recommending anywhere, but just advising . .

You have only a fortnight, Scotland is big, half the size of England and Wales together, and you wouldn't think of touring them in two weeks . . pick a small, recommended area, and visit it well.

We had month there and tried to do everything . . wrong move.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We've done a couple of tours in recent years and would put the CC sites at Bunree and Morvich top of our list. Morvich is in amazing scenery with walks to die for, it's also handy for day trips to Skye. We've also stayed at Colloden Moor CC site, another good location in less spectacular scenery, handy for Loch Ness and the battlefield, also Nairn if you like the seaside. From there we had a solo run up to Brora and recced the CC site there - we'll definitely give that a go next trip, along with the Black Isle. It's also worth breaking your journey either way at Maragowan (Killin), another excellent location for days out by car and walking, including the Julia Bradbury Glen Ogle railway route. The CC affiliated site at Newtonmoor is also worthy of a couple of days as it is handy for Monarch of the Glen country, Aviemore and Ruthven Barracks, and can break your journey along the A9.

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Bunree CC site is in an excellent location right on the edge of the water overlooking Loch Linnhe. Pub with good food is a 10 min walk away.

Brian

As Highlandman says the places you mention are amongst the busiest touristwise. .......but as motorhomers perhaps just a couple of nights here and there might suit your needs. .Places like Fort William & Inverness are fine but they are but crossroads really. ......If it is a Grand Tour you want then fine, you may find somewhere where you want to return to another time. ........If I was a total novice on Scotland. ...which I am not. ...I would start in The Kingdom of Fife, through Perthshire and up the East coast. ............next year I would start just North of Carlisle and do the West Coast. ....both very different areas, same nice people. ......

MalH has made some good selections that covers both the popular and the spectacular less popular areas. .......avoid Killin ( and Loch Lomond) when the midges are out. ..........some would disagree. ..

Enjoy anyway

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

"MalH has made some good selections that covers both the popular and the spectacular less popular areas. .......avoid Killin ( and Loch Lomond) when the midges are out. ..........some would disagree. .."

Good point Geoff.

Actually there are midges everywhere, and not just Scotland either, but there is no doubt that they can be a real irritation in the west of Scotland. Usually the worst time for midges is between early June and mid-August but that all depends on the weather. Warm and humid weather with little or no wind is when they are at their worst and if the weather is hot the midges often come out to play when the temperature begins to drop in the evening. Midges are not usually a problem before the end of May and coincidentally that's often when the weather in the West Highlands is at its best.

Edited by Highlandman

We visit Scotland every 2 years, alternating with trips "down South". Edinburgh CC site is a "must" if it's your first time up there. Lovely location on the Firth of Forth, good walks from the site, Royal Yacht at Leith, Castle and Gardens etc. 3 days there. Then take 2 days going North to Brora, another picturesque site again with good walks, after Brora (3 days), start coming back via Loch Ness and Fort William (superb site in Glen Nevis) - you must do at least some of the path up "the Ben" - and finally meander through Glencoe towards Stirling from where you should be about 6 hours from home. Thay way you will see some of the the most scenic (in our view) parts whilst also seeing the city of Edinburgh and experiencing the tranquillity of Brora. Lots of castles also if that's your thing.

Many excellent suggestions here I have been camping and caravanning in Scotland for 50 years so have covered most of it.

THE most important factor to consider is the weather!

Since you cannot control it you just move out of its way :).

Generally speaking the spectacular scenery is on the west coast-the Great Glens and the central uplands.

Unfortunately they are the wettest to!

The east coast has drier weather some of it like The East Neuk of Fife is just gorgeous.

I agree Loch Lomond tends to be busy in summer.

There are just so many things to see and do from panning for gold-and-getting some to a sight of the mighty sea eagles on Mull and while there what about Iona? and the Dhorus Mor at the end of the Crinan canal when there what about a trip to the second biggest whirlpool in Europe The Corryvreckan.

See the sea eagles fishing on the Corran Ferry-for free!

See sea otters on the beach right in front of your caravan on the Kintyre peninsula at Killegruer camp site.

I would plan to tour an area EG the stunning area from the M74 to Kirkudbright a weeks pottering there.

Remember the roads off the motorway take a long time to travel in summer EG when you reach Inverness it is still a 3 hour hard drive to the wonderful north coast-the north west corner is particularly remote-perhaps to remote.

Then of course there are the islands---------.

Where do you suggest as must see places in Scotland. We plan to tour for two weeks next year. Thinking of Loch Lomond, Fort William, Inverness.

Suggestions please.

We like Scenery, Water especially coastal, nice walks and nice wee towns.

Please note we have now sold the caravan and have a Motorhome, I am being cheeky posting here but I know the response will be good. :)

First up I'd avoid Loch Lomond completely. Too near Glasgow and can get quite busy. My recommendation would be to head to Comrie, East lodge caravan site. Comrie is a beautiful wee town with some great shops and a few good pubs and hotels. The site is small, very clean and tidy and family run, the owners are extremely helpful. It's handy for Stirling and Crieff.

I'd then head up to Killin and stay at the CC site Maragowan. Usual CC standard. Killin is on the banks of Loch Tay and there's loads of great walks around.

I'd then stop off at Invercoe in Glencoe Village. It's near to the CC site at Bunree but I find Invercoe a better location. Fort William is only 25 mins away.

Heading north I'd recommend the Grantown on Spey site. 30 mins to Inverness 20 to Aviemore, both places loads to do. The Grantown on Spey site has had quite a lot of money spent on it recently and it shows.

Anton

Anton

We have just booked 10 nights at Grantown on Spey from 2nd June, we are planning two weeks away travelling from West Sussex, 2 nights at Troutbeck CC site, 10 nights at Grantown on Spey and the 2 nights back at Meathop Fell before heading back to West Sussex. Not been this far with our caravan as only been towing since Aug 2012 but really looking forward to our adventure taking it slow and steady. Looking forward to lots of dog walking on the mountains and checking out the odd distillery or three!

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

But no one has mentioned Royal Deeside!!!!!!!!! Very beautiful country with CC site at Stonehaven Banchory. Also sites at Aboyne and Braemar. A nice days touring takes you over the hills to Grantown on Spey.

Deeside is so easy to get to from the south as it's dual carriageway all the way from the M6. Also a lovely run up the A1, but not all dualled yet.

Deeside has a whole chain of lovely little towns and villages along the river dee. The people up there can only be described as "The salt of the earth".

GO and ENJOY!

Christine Bleakleys off the beaten track did a interesting program last night in the Fife area

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Scotland is a land of stunning natural beauty. Any touring holiday in Scotland should be planned to enjoy the great outdoors and participate in outdoor activities, be it walking, cycling, etc. etc. Like another poster said, Scotland cannot be toured properly within a couple of weeks, so your best plan is to select a couple of areas and enjoy them to the full. The most stunning scenery IMHO is in the North West of Scotland where there are many campsites on which to base your activities. Please do not forget the Western and Northern isles where you can relax in natural splendour and enjoy the laid back way of life. The North east coast, Perthshire, Aberdeenshire, Angus and Fife all have much to offer the visitor. Yes, like everywhere else, we can experience bad weather, but that is negated by wearing the right clothes. Midges, yes there are some, but I have experienced much worse in some areas of England. In conclusion enjoy your Scottish holiday and I'm sure you will want to return.

Stonehaven is now an excellent addition to the Scottish itinerary, great location as well.

Edited by scotta1955

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia