Biodiesel Clogging Fuel Filters

terve

Anyone with fuel filter clogging problems on their diesel may find this interesting

Edited by terve

My Isuzu was fitted with a new type of fuel filter due to this known problem. The new one re-circulates, has a coarser filter and a heater element! Isuzu say it is a UK problem due to more bio diesel in our fuel than rest of europe. Done foc so no complaints

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Done bio-diesel blocking the filter, fuel lines and pumps in our previous Picasso and I wasn't impressed!

My fault, in error I filled up 50 litres of bio, got a mile before it died. It would restart, but only run for about half a mile. We were off on our hols the next day, 280 miles away. It wouldn't do hills very well and after about 200 re-starts, I gave up and and called the breakdown recovery, who took us to our destination.

A filter change made no difference, drove around all week re-starting hundreds of times using up the bio, I got quiet good at the still rolling re-start! I then filled up with proper diesel. Gradually things improved, running firstly for 3 miles before cutting out, then 15 miles. 40 miles, 100 miles, finally clearing after 500 miles.

Won't be doing that again, I can tell you! :unsure:

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Listening to the news today the suggestion is that the bio-diesel is causing a waxing of the fuel in cold weather, however this waxing, unlike normal waxing, is staying as a gel when the fuel warms up again.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Bio-diesel needs an anti-bacterial additive at time of distribution to prevent "digestion" of the bio-part and creation of gel which would otherwise block filters, giving exactly the same effect as "waxing" - if that additive has been missed out, the result is what we've got.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Bio-diesel needs an anti-bacterial additive at time of distribution to prevent "digestion" of the bio-part and creation of gel which would otherwise block filters, giving exactly the same effect as "waxing" - if that additive has been missed out, the result is what we've got.

Even mineral diesel is prone to biological attack, I have been deeply involved with such issues in dealing with Cladosporium resinae attacks, it is not a unique bio diesel issue.

I am always concerned at foreign filling stations that I don't mistakenly use Bio Diesel, Mercedes specifically warn against its use in my model.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Even mineral diesel is prone to biological attack, I have been deeply involved with such issues in dealing with Cladosporium resinae attacks, it is not a unique bio diesel issue.

So maybe the issue is nothing to do with "Bio-" - it may simply be missing anti-bacterial additive in this batch.

I am always concerned at foreign filling stations that I don't mistakenly use Bio Diesel, Mercedes specifically warn against its use in my model.

EN 590:2009 permits a maximum of 7% biodiesel. The target for 2020 is 10%.

That's applicable across the whole of Europe - we don't generally get any choice in the UK - does the continent give an option of 0% bio-diesel ?

If your Merc has to run on 7% bio- here in UK, why worry abroad if it can't exceed 7% anyway ?

This is one of the reasons that I always use a branded regular fuel from a reputable oil company, and never supermarket or inferior fuels, price although still too expensive is worth considering when you consider repair costs that could be incurred.

Peace of mind with a guarantee, how many times have we heard about poor quality fuels damaging car engines?

If you spot us reversing onto the pitch next to you don't worry we are very friendly !!

the dogs are well behaved, they wont disturb you !!

Please say hello we like talking to other caravaners with similar interests

This is one of the reasons that I always use a branded regular fuel from a reputable oil company, and never supermarket or inferior fuels, price although still too expensive is worth considering when you consider repair costs that could be incurred.

Peace of mind with a guarantee, how many times have we heard about poor quality fuels damaging car engines?

From the big brands just as much as supermarkets - in Cheshire it'll all be from the Essar refinery at Stanlow regardless of where you buy it.

EN 590:2009 permits a maximum of 7% biodiesel. The target for 2020 is 10%.

That's applicable across the whole of Europe - we don't generally get any choice in the UK - does the continent give an option of 0% bio-diesel ?

If your Merc has to run on 7% bio- here in UK, why worry abroad if it can't exceed 7% anyway ?

Lol, yet vw and Audi state max 5% bio additive only!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

From the big brands just as much as supermarkets - in Cheshire it'll all be from the Essar refinery at Stanlow regardless of where you buy it.

The Stanlow refinery supplies far further than the north west as it is linked through the UK oil pipeline network to the Coryton refinery in Essex.

Supermarket fuel, even loaded at Stanlow is base grade with no additive, pay your money take a chance?

As stated Stanlow fuel goes all over this country if not by road by pipeline

If you spot us reversing onto the pitch next to you don't worry we are very friendly !!

the dogs are well behaved, they wont disturb you !!

Please say hello we like talking to other caravaners with similar interests

My freelander suffered this problem after filling up, it was suggested that the problem was local from the Teesport refinery, but this is obviously incorrect. LR did a recall for owners to get a new filter fitted. I understand all diesel is 3% bio for government targets but next year it's to be 8% that could be fun!

Oil/fuel distribution in the UK is quite involved, with 7 operational refineries, 7 different pipeline setups, plus road and sea tanker transport - but generally the fuel will all come from the same source, in a particular area.

All fuel has additives at point of sale - the additive formulation may vary by brand but since none of them publish their additive formulation there's no way of knowing what the differences are, indeed if any differences.

Edited by Black Grouse

Supermarket fuel, even loaded at Stanlow is base grade with no additive, pay your money take a chance?

As stated Stanlow fuel goes all over this country if not by road by pipeline

This issue has nothing to do with Supermarkets. You are just perpetuating a daft urban/internet myth.

Diesel sold in the UK is required to meet the EN 590 standard.

Edited by Alansl

Education is important but beer is more importanter.

Approx 4%of the diesel sold in the Uk is not actually produced in the Uk as our remaing 7 refineries do not have sufficient capacity to meet UK needs,

Currently our biggest sources of imported diesel are other European countries – predominantly the Netherlands, Sweden, Russia and Belgium – and the US.

http://www. racfoundation. org/media-centre/oil-fuel-review

The Stanlow refinery supplies far further than the north west as it is linked through the UK oil pipeline network to the Coryton refinery in Essex.

Coryton is a refinery no longer, I'm sad to say.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Anyone with fuel filter clogging problems on their diesel may find this interesting

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/business-25321913

That's an interesting article, the trouble is that major oil companies like BP have pulled out if owning refineries. They now concentrate on "upstream" or exploration where all the profit is to be had. The fact of the matter is that oil refineries cost huge amounts of money to operate and there is an over capacity in Europe which constrains prices and profits for the companies who now own them. The one at Grangemouth has an excellent plant which produces high quality ultra low sulphur diesel oil. But the way it is going now is that the UK will not have the capacity to manufacture petrochemical products including fuels for transportation. Then we will have a major problem relying on imported products entirely.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Overproduction - depends whether you mean diesel or petrol - both are made as part of the chemical process at refineries but the proportion of petrol to diesel depends on the design of the plant itself and can only be changed as part of the construction process.

For decades more diesel and fuel oil was produced, relative to demand, than petrol so petrol was always expensive, diesel cheaper and fuel oil very cheap - however the huge increase in ownership of diesel cars has meant a switch in demand which can't be matched quickly at refineries.

Currently, petrol is being over-produced while diesel is under-produced - this situation will only get worse as China's industries expand needing more and more diesel trucks, plus heavy oil to get the goods around the world - and - the US's gradual adoption of diesel cars because their gasoline has become too "expensive", poor things!