Trying To Fathom Alde Heating

barry8484

Can someone please tell me if my understanding of how Alde heating operates is correct?

I assume that:

(a) the Alde heating system is independent of the van's water supply, and can therefore be used even if there is no water in the van

(B) if there is water in the caravan, then the Alde boiler heats that as well as, or instead of, the heating system - depending on what options are selected on the Control Panel.

© the liquid in the Alde heating system, a mixture of water and antifreeze, needn't be drained for Winter storage

In the unlikely even of my assumptions being accurate, I'll throw in an even more basic question:

(d) what actually causes the van to heat up - is it hot water/antifreeze being pumper round pipes inside the van, rather like a domestic central heating system, and if so what are the metal fan blades under the bunk for?

Can someone please tell me if my understanding of how Alde heating operates is correct?

I assume that:

(a) the Alde heating system is independent of the van's water supply, and can therefore be used even if there is no water in the van

Correct

( B) if there is water in the caravan, then the Alde boiler heats that as well as, or instead of, the heating system - depending on what options are selected on the Control Panel.

As well, if the pump is running the hot heating water then circulates.

© the liquid in the Alde heating system, a mixture of water and antifreeze, needn't be drained for Winter storage

Correct

In the unlikely even of my assumptions being accurate, I'll throw in an even more basic question:

(d) what actually causes the van to heat up - is it hot water/antifreeze being pumper round pipes inside the van, rather like a domestic central heating system, and if so what are the metal fan blades under the bunk for?

Correct the metal blades act like radiators and distribute the heat.

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

As above.

B) if there is water in the caravan, then the Alde boiler heats that as well as, or instead of, the heating system - depending on what options are selected on the Control Panel.

The boiler heats up the glycol/water mix for the heater whenever its switched on. If there is water supply to the van then it heats the fresh water through heat exchange from the heating fluid. The 'thermostat' for the heating only operates a pump which circulates the heating fluid from the boiler around the van. Once the van is warm the 'thermostat' cuts off and the pump stops circulating. The boiler still keeps the fluid in the boiler hot.

Good info above and that's my understanding of the system too.

I took a couple of pics of the inside of an Alde 3010 - available here

I recently had to top up my fluids and was offered the same advice from Alde re the Comma brand.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

This reply is more than you have asked for, but it is better to be aware than not to know.

The metal fan blades you refer to are actually convection fins. Their purpose is to increase the heated surface area. As cooler air is passed over the convection fins the air emerges at a higher temperature.

The Alde system does indeed work very much like a domestic wet central heating system. As in a domestic system it heats the habitation area by; conduction, convection and radiation.

A point of Note. .!

The anti-freeze mixture contained in the sealed part of the system should be changed every two years, unless it has been drained, flushed and replaced with a long life anti-freeze. In which case five years is the normal life of the mixture.

The reason it should be changed at regular intervals is not, because the anti-freeze loses its ability not to freeze, but because the corrosion inhibitors in the system will cease to be effective.

If the out of date anti-freeze is left in the system for an extended period, three undesirable conditions start to occur. :o

1. The inhibitors no longer remain in suspension and start to deposit themselves on to the inner surfaces of the heat exchanger's surfaces.

2. Corrosion of the boiler's heat exchanger will start to take place.

3. Bacteria will start to grow inside the system.

Replacing the anti-freeze mixture is quiet easy and if you are into DIY you should find the process no more difficult than changing the anti-freeze in your car's cooling system. :)

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Well, those replies have explained everything I asked for, and more. I have to say thank you to everyone who responded, and to this website for enabling idiots like me to benefit from the wisdom of others. Absolutely marvellous - how else could I have gained so much helpful information in a matter of hours! Many, many thanks.