Stabilizer's

vogue416

as youve probabally guessed

ive just got back after my first trip with new car!!!!

im towing a vouge 416 with a 2. 0l mondao estate (52plate 130hp).

ive had the van a few years but had a pajero in the past

now ive got the mondao for feul reasons but have found anything

over a bout 55 and i nealy loose it, very scary stuff as i found

ive been offered a bulldog stabilizer and want to know if the are any good or

should i save and buy something better .

or has anyone got any better sugestions about weight loading etc?

A stabiliser will help to dampen down any instability, but it should not be used to correct inherent instabililty, which it seems you have. The Mondeo is reported to be a good towcar so you should not be having the problems you describe. I would suggest that first start by checking the caravan noseweight with the caravan in the loaded condition. You can use a purpose made noseweight gauge or simply a block of wood under the hitch onto bathroom scales. The block of wood should be of a suitable length to keep the caravan level. The noseweight should be around 75Kg. Adjust, if necessary, by moving weight around in the caravan.

If possible, reduce weight in the caravan by putting heavy items, such as awnings in the car.

A stabiliser will help to damp down oscillations caused by passing vehicles or gusts of wind and the Bulldog should be OK.

Brian

thanks brian

im a bit worried myself

on the way home we put the cloths and heavey stuff in the boot of the car

and the awning up the front of the van and it got even worse

i stopped and moved the awning and poles to the centre of the van

which hepled but was still unacceptable imho

as ive said ive always had 4x4's so havent experianced any problems

ill try the scales thing and see what that shows

and think ill get the bulldog anyway as its cheap off a friend so will help anyway

im off to france soon and cant handle doing 55 all the way and still snaking

Q: could it be the van is too low at the front it doesnt look level to me

,not far off but not level?

Were the tyre pressures Ok? I find that makes a huge difference to stability. Did the rear appear to sag at all? Maybe the suspension needs beefing up a bit. I'm gonna do that to my Rover. Noseweight is also an important factor, and proper loading - though I won't patronise you with that. A stabiliser will certainly help - look for a hitch one if you can, though a Bulldog leaf type would do fine. Finally, I find that putting the heavy stuff above the axle, and putting light-but bulky stuff in the boot, helps the ride and also stability.

Just out of interest, what is your weight ratio?

Cheers

James

A word of warning with old or used anti-snake devices. The clutch plate can wear and cause the device to fail. Also the spring design of the Bulldog can cause it to dip and bounce a little. I have recently replaced my Bulldog anti-snake device with an Alko 3004 which is a revelation. (This uses brake pads which can also wear and need replacing of course).

Well - I have a Pajero and yes - tows like a dream, but run it on veg oil to keep the fuel costs down.

Anyway - stabiliser, I got a Winterhoff off ebay - and the best purchase I have made in a long run. Even a friend towed with it and said it felt great on his citroen estate

Scott

I agree with Brian. Get the unit balanced BEFORE using a stabiliser, otherwise you are only masking a problem which could become very serious.

What is the car/caravan weight %? The more you are over the 85%, the more the caravan will push the car around, especially if it is not loaded properly. Also check the noseweight carefully, unfortunately modern vans often require up to 100kg whilst most family saloons will only allow up to 75kg.

Also, you might have to cut down the amount of 'stuff' you take with you.

Having had a heavy 4x4 up to now, it is probably something that you have not had to bother with.

Roger

I tow a Bailey Pageant Vendee MPTL is 1321kg with a 5dr Mondeo TDCI 2. 0l (115), I have never had any problem at all having used diferent type of road and condition and speed up to sometime without noticing I reach speed of 70mph. Last time I weight the van on a weight bridge it was 1282kg.

I think the reason must be of the way I load the van and also I always checked my nose weight to make sure it is between 65~75 kg and pump all my tyres up to the maximum as recommended for fully loaded car don't know if that will help you

thanks brian

im a bit worried myself

on the way home we put the cloths and heavey stuff in the boot of the car

and the awning up the front of the van and it got even worse

i stopped and moved the awning and poles to the centre of the van

which hepled but was still unacceptable imho

as ive said ive always had 4x4's so havent experianced any problems

ill try the scales thing and see what that shows

and think ill get the bulldog anyway as its cheap off a friend so will help anyway

im off to france soon and cant handle doing 55 all the way and still snaking

Q: could it be the van is too low at the front it doesnt look level to me

,not far off but not level?

Hi Vogue416,

Nose down when stationary is preferable as when you get on the move the caravan will come up to a level position due to the pull on the hitch and airflow.

If the caravan loooks nearly level it might be that when travelling it adopts a nose up attitude which make the caravan inherantly unstable.

In this situation adding nose weight by moving the awning forward, puts more weight on the hitch which then lifts the nose of the car up and you then get light steering which then adds to the instability of the rig.

Hope this helps and that you get it sorted out.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Archived