Long Term European Breakdown Insurance

Guest SimplySimon

Guest SimplySimon

Seeing as though ADAC will no longer take UK citizens as members for it's year round breakdown cover, we are in a bit of a quandary as where to go next.

All the British companies we have looked at limit the stay abroad to a number of days, we are planning to be away for 11 months at a time over several years.

We intend to set off next September and need to have the reassurance that we are covered in case of breakdown.

Any thoughts?

Ask an Insurance Broker to do the work??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I have European and UK breakdown and recovery with my insurance from LV. It is unlimited and covers the car and caravan. Give them a call and you will be pleasantly surprised. It's a better motor policy than my previous insurer too (Mercedes).

Ern

Guest SimplySimon

I have European and UK breakdown and recovery with my insurance from LV. It is unlimited and covers the car and caravan. Give them a call and you will be pleasantly surprised. It's a better motor policy than my previous insurer too (Mercedes).

Hi Ian,

Well, that could be useful, LV is about 5 miles from me in Poole, might even get a local discount!!!!

I have European and UK breakdown and recovery with my insurance from LV. It is unlimited and covers the car and caravan.

Are you certain? LV own Britannia Rescue which operates their breakdown cover (as well as Nationwide/CSMA) and they are certainly not unlimited for length of trip.

Nationwide flexplus cover via Brittania is long term in Europe as I broke down in Spain in October and they didnt even ask how long I had been there, the cover on health and travel is limited .

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

A relation uses LV who limit European to 180 days for any single trip. So this relation (who lives permanently abroad) buys a cheap return short crossing - but may not use it but it acts as a sort of proof!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi simon whats the lowdown on adac and brits are they not renewing any memberships or just not taking any more on . Can't find any info on the web about refusing uk memberships.

We only joined ADAC earlier this summer, no problems then. We expect to be covered until next June. Where have you found this bombshell Simon?

I have just checked their website and you can still join as member plus. The form is in English too?

Edited by staffordshirechina

We went abroad for a year last year and switched our car insurance to Saga for their 365 day cover. They do an add-on breakdown insurance, which we also took, which gives 365 day European cover, including, strangely, some countries that the car insurance did not cover, e. g. Bosnia! The breakdown insurance in the UK is covered by AA and I understand by ADAC abroad.

Apologies of course if you have not yet reached Saga age.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Wonder if the AA europe agreement will continue since the UK one has gone for new users??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi simon whats the lowdown on adac and brits are they not renewing any memberships or just not taking any more on . Can't find any info on the web about refusing uk memberships.

Have a look at this thread http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/88122-adac-v-red-pennant-which-one/page-3?do=findComment&comment=964889

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I had a telephone call from ADAC on Monday to confirm that they will not be enrolling UK Members in the future. This will not affect existing members they will carry on as before being covered for everything as The ADAC Plus or Partner Plus policy sets out inc. the UK Cover. I suspect this has been brought on by some Brits calling ADAC out in this country like 3 times in 1 year and the AA objecting.

When you receive your renewal notice details of how to pay to Head Office in Munich will be specified in the letter.

If you look on this link adac. uk/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default. aspx a paragraph has recently been added saying as much.

Sorry I cannot add a direct link but this site will not accept it from my iPad.

Hope this helps.

Regards snooks

Edited by snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Guest SimplySimon

Sorry I have not been back to anyone, but have just been discharged from hospital after a 4th operation this year, it seems to have worked, Hurrah!!!

This has been most helpful to us as well. Thanks All.

• 7 months later...

I use Saga. Covers me for 365 days abroad. Pricey but you get what you pay for. ;);)

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

As a CSMA member I am with Britannia Rescue (LV). Who have been great in this country. Their European partners are IMA. They may also operate for other organisations. Beware. They are useless.

See. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/96160-wheel-detachment/

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I use Saga. Covers me for 365 days abroad. Pricey but you get what you pay for. ;);)

I wouldn't touch SAGA with a barge pole after their 'handling' of my recent overseas crash. Wouldn't give me a courtesy car when back in UK because the accident happened outside UK.

ADAC are still accepting UK Members.

That's great news Snooks - we joined just over a year ago & called them out once since - they were absolutely brilliant. Both of our children wanted to join - I'll let them know :)

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

miJ new telephone number on my website on ADAC page link in my signature below.

Cheers snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Many thanks Snooks,

Cheers,

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies