A Surplus Ehu Cable (And Connectors).

AWanderingLancastrian

Hi to you all out there.

I am wanting to use the cable from a surplus to requirements EHU.

I am looking for some advice please on the use of the cable only as an extension/link between the bungalow and my 'Man Cave'.

The external socket is an approved socket with hinged and snap closed cover,the internal fitting (Man Cave) is a regular domestic wall mounted two gang 13amp switch-able socket.

I am intending using the Orange EHU cable because it is designed/intended or external usage.

Does anyone see a problem?

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

How temporary is it? I ran a similar set up on a catenary from garage

to shed because of foot traffic.

Later it was wired with suitable twin and earth and armoured cable.

Yeah . ... as gumdrop says . .... either run on a cantenary wire or in plastic tubing . ....

I did the former, for a while, to my man cave (workshop) . .....

Until I put in a proper buried Armoured cable in a pipe with tape on top . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I have done this too, without problem.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Dont see any problem, we do the same thing, but using one of these, which is just a fancy 16amp socket

image_zps6b6a69aa.jpg

Edited by SP1

I have also done this to my Firewood cutting and preparation cave without any physical harm .

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

I did it to get power to the fish tank shed/cave, but I put the cable inside some old conduit I had. Worked fine, was on 24/7 for the pump.

My Man-Cave (Summer House) has the same facilities the Caravan has. When not in use the cable is put away in the garage in a large coil.

EHU Cables should be wound using the hand to foot method. The cable coil is hand to foot diameter when rolled.

No small coil cable damage. :ph34r:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I did exactly this (using an surpluse EHU cable from my garage socket to my. ...shed (how did you know I'd got one?). Ran the cable through overhead copper pipe (because that's what I had at the time). I have a removable RCB that is used at the garage end. It only works a light & the mower, but the potential. ...once I've got rid of the boxes of car spares from my old Frontera & my sons cars, & the 3 bikes, & the camping gear. ....ohh & also drunk my stock of cider, etc . .....maybe then I can actualy get in LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Hi to you all that have replied. I an no longer in my own property,I am in a rented Pensioners Bungalow.

The cable will be used as and when I need power to the Man Cave but it is not going to subjected to foot traffic and will be routed around the edge of the bungalow and into the Man Cave from a low and upward direction and is my choice instead of using a regular 'White' extension cable because of the potential breaking down of the plastic inoculative covering and the inevitable risks of such breakdown and especially when the weather is wet or damp.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

It should be (half afraid to mention without being accused of being too technical) RCD protected.

knarf

It all works but be aware you may be contravening the Building Regs if you fix anything permanantly.

knarf

Two very good points.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi Knarf. Thank you for your input. I am fully aware of the need to comply with building regulations and all that is involved with installations of this nature and the need to have certificated people for certain and specific works.

As I stated in my post #12,I an no longer in my own property,I am in a rented Pensioners Bungalow.

This extension lead is intended as an as & when needed link between the bungalow & the Man Cave and I will be using a portable (plug-in) Circuit Breaker at the delivery end of the cable.

I don't have a cave :((

This posting is so sad, it has ruined my day. :(

John. :D

It should be (half afraid to mention without being accused of being too technical)RCD protected.

knarf

My cave has RCD protection! B)

John.

Edited by leedslad

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?