Camping Cheques 2014

Just received my Camping Cheques 2014 Site Directory. They state that there are 3 major changes.

The first and important being a price increase to £14. 95 per cheque on 16th december 2013. The first increase for 4 years.

The second is that the more you use the Gold Card, the more you get in return. Your card will automatically be topped up with 1 Free Cheque every time you spend 25 cheques in the year on any of the Camping Cheque campsites.

The third in 2013 a number of Gold Card Members were selected to carry out Site Inspections. In total 450 site visits have been carried out (nearly 75% of the Camping Cheque network).

Edited by Alsie

What are camping cheques and are they worth getting please?

Honda CRV 2. 2 i-CTDI just ahead of Lunar Lexon 540

Camping Cheques are a way of getting discounts on campsites. They cost £14. 95 each, and each one will pay for a night on one of the sites they offer, for two people, car and caravan, awning, and electricity. They can be bought as paper 'cheques', or on an electronic Silver or Gold Card (both these have some extra advantages over the paper versions). Dates when they can be accepted vary from campsite to campsite - and are often the 'low season' dates for each site, though some sites accept them throughout the season. There are 687 sites in the scheme and you can read about them and look at the sort of sites they offer on www. campingcheque. co. uk.

Another scheme for low season campsites is the ACSI Card - www. campingcard. co. uk. With the ACSI Card you just buy a guide up front, and inside is a detachable card, which you present on arrival at the site, and tell them you want to benefit from the ACSI Card rate. Sites charge either 10, 12, 14, 16, or 18 euro - and there are some good sites at just 10 euros! Again the card is accepted in low season.

There is a post on the topic 'pinned' at the top of this forum - Discounted Low Season Camping in Europe.

Camping Cheques are a way of getting discounts on campsites. They cost £14. 95 each, and each one will pay for a night on one of the sites they offer, for two people, car and caravan, awning, and electricity. They can be bought as paper 'cheques', or on an electronic Silver or Gold Card (both these have some extra advantages over the paper versions). Dates when they can be accepted vary from campsite to campsite - and are often the 'low season' dates for each site, though some sites accept them throughout the season. There are 687 sites in the scheme and you can read about them and look at the sort of sites they offer on www. campingcheque. co. uk.

Another scheme for low season campsites is the ACSI Card - www. campingcard. co. uk. With the ACSI Card you just buy a guide up front, and inside is a detachable card, which you present on arrival at the site, and tell them you want to benefit from the ACSI Card rate. Sites charge either 10, 12, 14, 16, or 18 euro - and there are some good sites at just 10 euros! Again the card is accepted in low season.

There is a post on the topic 'pinned' at the top of this forum - Discounted Low Season Camping in Europe.

Camping Cheques also include the price of one dog!

Alsie

The 1 free cheque per 25 is worth about £15, so using 75 cheques over 3 years covers the Gold Card cost, perhaps making it worthwhile for the other benefits at no cost. Over 3 years I comfortably exceed 75 Cheques and get my renewal free on the points earned anyway, but it makes an attractive bonus.

Interesting development about the site inspections by Gold Card holders. I believe you have to email them to indicate an interest in taking part. I wonder if it takes a 'mystery diner' format, or will it be up front and formal.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

We've been through the 'selection process with Alan Rogers/Camping Cheques for site inspectors, in 2010. My OH had just been made redundant and we thought it would be an ideal way to spend some time in the caravan. We were successful, and issued with a choice of areas. Each had about forty sites, so it's not just 'pottering about' - you have to work out your own itinerary, plot a route between sites, and decide which sites in an area you wish to stay on. In some areas a site in the centre is best - in others you have to plot sites along the route.

It doesn't pay a fortune, but your site fees are covered and some of your expenses, and you are paid per site/inspection. There is quite a lot of paperwork involved, and some 'liaising' with site owners about advertising in the Alan Rogers guide! There is no 'mystery shopper' - you are 'formally' inspecting the site, by arrangement with the site owner, and often the site owner prefers to accompany you around the site - but sometimes not. We had to inspect between two and three sites per day to fit into the timescales set - but we were lucky with our area in that there were multiple sites in each locality.

We were allocated Provence and the Var - absolutely ideal for us as we know the area fairly well as we have friends there - and were all set to go. Then my OH was offered some well-paid contract work and unfortunately we had to pull out. As it happened 2010 was the year of the terrible floods in the Var, in June, at exactly the time when we would have been on one of the sites which was flooded alongside the Argens river, where the worst of the flooding took place!! We considered it very good luck that we'd had to turn down the job.

However, we'd still be interested, and may well send in another application for next year as we're both retired now, with much more time on our hands.

I'm not quite sure how this 'squares' with the Caravan Club now owning Alan Rogers as they have their own team of site inspectors, and it seems a bit strange to have two different lots of people doing the same (or similar) job.

Edited by ValA

Good, interesting information, Val (as usual :)). Thanks.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

I was surprised to receive the 2014 Camping Cheque Site Directory and map this morning, as I had already been sent a map a few weeks ago and I thought you had to buy the site guide. I also received an Alan Rogers brochure and price list for just over 200 sites separately (think these could be same as those marketed by the Caravan Club). Could this mean that the Alan Rogers concern is a little worried about the rising costs of ferries/cheques etc and the success of ACSI? Just wondering what others think?

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I was surprised to receive the 2014 Camping Cheque Site Directory and map this morning, as I had already been sent a map a few weeks ago and I thought you had to buy the site guide. I also received an Alan Rogers brochure and price list for just over 200 sites separately (think these could be same as those marketed by the Caravan Club). Could this mean that the Alan Rogers concern is a little worried about the rising costs of ferries/cheques etc and the success of ACSI? Just wondering what others think?

likewise, just the same, although bought my cheques from C Club.

cheers rodders B)

skoda superb hatch 1. 6 tdi towing bailey ranger 380