Camos 40Cm Satdome And Freesat Box Recommendations

discodunc

apologies if this topic has been covered before but I could find anything on a search.

I am hoping someone can help me with the following configuration.

Ive got a Camos 40cm SatDome currently running perfectly with an old SKY box (it also works with a new SKY+ box, as part of my testing! - but they are a bit too big for the unit space

I wanted to change the sky box to something smaller so opted for a cheap Manhatten box from Curry's (£49!).

my problem is as follows:

When I switch on the Camos SatDome receiver, I get the normal red power light and green LNB light. once the dish locks-on I get the yellow lock light, and a few seconds later the Red power light goes out . ... all normal.

However, although the SKY box works fine, the freesat box goes from showing a good signal, to a signal failure, as soon as the red power light goes out.

I am assuming that the Manhatten Freesat box just isn't upto the job of pulling the signal through the camos sat receiver box and I perhaps need a better freesat box (it needs to be small though)

could anyone recommend a Freesat box that is small and works through the camos receiver box please

Many Thanks

Edited by discodunc

Hi Discodunc,

You may already be aware but it is worth mentioning that 40 cm won't get you far in to Scotland or France.

Good Luck

David

Swizz

Don't use in France as I refuse to take the tv, and works ok in aviemore. I've already had the dome for 6 years, but want a small sat box as the sky box is a bit too big for the new van layout

Hi Discodunc,

I am using the 40cm Roadpro auto locating dish with an Avtex TV which has the sat receiver built in and it works well.

As for the dish working in Scotland you will find it is fine. The footprint map on the Roadpro site shows what area the dish will cover. The Roadpro is the Camos rebranded.

Cheers

Thombo

Honda CRV Series 4 with Elddis Affinity 574

Thanks thombo

Do you find the signal reduces when the power led goes out.

We've only just (3 months ago) bought a new DVD TV so not looking to buy a new one just yet.

I could buy a humax box and try that, but reluctant to buy another and find that does work either.

Never had any problem with the dome in Scotland, except for when it got covered in a foot of snow !!!

Hi Discodunc

I have found no difference in signal when power led goes out, I am not surprised you had a problem with a foot of snow on the caravan. Makes for interesting times.

Edited by Thombo

Honda CRV Series 4 with Elddis Affinity 574

thanks thombo

looks like no one is using a separate freesat box with a Camos dome :(

i'll perhaps have to buy a more expensive box and hope for the best !!

apologies if this topic has been covered before but I could find anything on a search.

I am hoping someone can help me with the following configuration.

Ive got a Camos 40cm SatDome currently running perfectly with an old SKY box (it also works with a new SKY+ box, as part of my testing! - but they are a bit too big for the unit space

I wanted to change the sky box to something smaller so opted for a cheap Manhatten box from Curry's (£49!).

my problem is as follows:

When I switch on the Camos SatDome receiver, I get the normal red power light and green LNB light. once the dish locks-on I get the yellow lock light, and a few seconds later the Red power light goes out . ... all normal.

However, although the SKY box works fine, the freesat box goes from showing a good signal, to a signal failure, as soon as the red power light goes out.

I am assuming that the Manhatten Freesat box just isn't upto the job of pulling the signal through the camos sat receiver box and I perhaps need a better freesat box (it needs to be small though)

could anyone recommend a Freesat box that is small and works through the camos receiver box please

Many Thanks

It sounds like an issue with the Manhatten frees at box not your dome. I also have the roadpro one and have found it superb.

I would suggest the Humax HD free sat box as it is small and comes well recommended.

Good luck.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Thanks

I've got 50/50 : signal/strength at the moment on the driveway according to the sky box.

Maybe the humax will be better. I,ll try one tomorow assuming currying will take a return if it doesn't work

All freesat boxes are not created equal, some are definatly better than others, but your issue may be something to do with LNB power or the lack of causing your signal to disappear, is there any setting for it in the menu.

If you don't have any joy, call Roadpro, they should be able to answer your issue.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

No settings. the power is cut after the lock-on and no way of re-activating it

The roadpro web site says is works with any freesat box, but this isn't the case.

I,ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say

Am I correct in thinking the freesat box should send power to the dish?

Edited by discodunc

Am I correct in thinking the freesat box should send power to the dish?

Power from the receiver to the LNB? - Yes!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

thanks.

so it is possible that the manhattan box just doesn't have enough power to power the LNB via the dome controller box. - Sky box works ok though.

cant get through to roadpro!!

took the plunge and bought a basic Humax box.

massive difference!, works fine, and with a much stronger / quality signal than I was getting from the SKY box.

either the Manhatten box was faulty or just rubbish - you get what you pay for. ..

took the plunge and bought a basic Humax box.

massive difference!, works fine, and with a much stronger / quality signal than I was getting from the SKY box.

either the Manhatten box was faulty or just rubbish - you get what you pay for. ..

Totally in agreement - I got a cheap freeveiw box from Asda this year for my tv in the van. ..load of rubbish. ..no signal whatsoever. ..Got a Panasonc Tv with Freeview built. ..perfect signal ( in places !! ) But have sinced moved onto a Free to Air set up ( like freesat but more channels )

Edited by Guest

Totally in agreement - I got a cheap freeveiw box from Asda this year for my tv in the van. ..load of rubbish. ..no signal whatsoever. ..Got a Panasonc Tv with Freeview built. ..perfect signal ( in places !! ) But have sinced moved onto a Free to Air set up ( like freesat but more channels )

My Humax HDRecorder provides all Freesat channels (obviously), but in addition can receive and store any non-freesat channels that I choose install. Long live Humax!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

When I bought a Humax HDR about 6 years ago I found it was slightly more able to gather signals than the Pace Sky box I was replacing.

Has anyone compared the new Humax boxes with Sky's latest box?

David

Swizz

I have just got a Ross HD FTA receiver and fully expected to be returning it based on reports.

However on test in my garden it easily picked up 28. 2. 13. 1 and 19. 2 which are the three main

Satellites covering Europe. Ok it does not have a full EPG but I have purchased it from B and Q very cheap and will use it in Europe next year if my Sky box fails to deliver when all the Satellite beam

changes take place in February. the instructions were fine and I did have to ring Ross up once and

the help desk were very helpful.

When I rung up a major Satellite supplier he told me that the new Sky Boxes are not as good in fringe areas as the old Pace models.

swizz, I had a SKY+ box (about 3 years old) in the caravan (only using one LNB). I was getting 50-60% signal strength. with the Humax its showing about 95%