Getting On Or Off Ferries

Now, How would you fancy getting your caravan or motorhome on or off this ferry ? :D

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=YAZ84o7Fj6g

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Sussex Caravans Limited Edition

I thought it was a caravan with the door open :ph34r:

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

I have been on a few ferries in my time with my trusty caravan but never that!

My worst experience (potentially ) was from Olbia in Sardinia to Genoa on the mainland, after sitting patiently in the queue for I realised that I was the last one to be loaded and I was being asked to reverse on between the bulkheads and some very large HGVs, as the perspiration began to form on my brow the chief in charge of the loading came over and asked if I need help . ....I replied very firmly in the affirmative, I was told to wind down my window and he grasped the steering wheel and walked backwards up the ramp whilst steering me into place, all this while saying to me, "Accelerator" & "Brake" my rig and I popped straight into position first time . He smiled, congratulated ME, and said you will be first off . ...which I was. As I drove from Genoa docks on the following morning I paid more attention and realised the Ferry had only a set of doors at the front, he obviously was very practiced and I still sigh with relief when I recall the tale.

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

Greek island ferries are similar.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

The link is no longer working the message is that the uploader has closed their account

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Tried to open the video but came up with a message "This video is no longer available because

the uploader has closed their You Tube account" What does that mean?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

What a shame - it has been around for a long time. I have it downloaded the video but file size is too large to place on here.

There are a few more around on youtube but not quite as good as this one.

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Sussex Caravans Limited Edition

This one can be a bit tricky - especially if the Sound of Sleat is a bit choppy.

post-54747-0-42580700-1386714105_thumb.jpg

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

That's very true Burstneraddict, but the little ferry from Glenelg is so much more fun.

Seriously though, if anyone is thinking of going over the sea to Skye, I'd recommend using the A87 and the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh. The Glenelg ferry and particularly the narrow road from there to Broadford is not really suitable for caravans or large motorhomes and even with a small campervan or a car it needs to be treated with care.

I had a similar experience to Petercheason in Dubrovnik last year. I had to reverse onto the ferry, with the guy steering through the window in the same way. However he only spoke Croatian, and because the ramp was at a sharp angle we had to go backwards and forwards about 50 times while the crew moved mats and ramps around to prevent the ends of the van catching on the ramp. Even worse, this was all done while the rest of the passengers stood at the rear railings on an upper deck watching and cheering. Not a happy time!

post-40786-0-20544500-1386762835_thumb.jpg

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I first used the Glenelg Ferry in 1967 whilst driving a Morris 1000 Traveller (my first car) and I think the ferry boat was the same as is still in use today. It is now a Community run service and if you are staying on Skye or nearby on the mainland, it makes for an interesting crossing on a scenic round trip (without the van) using the Skye bridge in the other direction.

On that first trip we left Skye on the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and for that crossing, I drove the Traveller onto a wooden platform which was then hauled up into the air by a crane and then swung over and lowered down into the ferry deck - no roll on roll off in those days but it all added to the adventure. I suppose they would have repeated the operation for a caravan.

I have also 'enjoyed' the experience of the hand through the window whilst reversing the car and caravan up a ramp onto a ferry and that was at Patras, Greece. I had stopped and got out to walk around the back of the van just before going up the ramp and the loading man obviously thought that I did not know what I was doing. I had earlier in the holiday lost a 'big foot' off the bottom of my steadies on another ferry and did not wish a repeat. He then insisted on helping when I started to reverse and I did not understand a word he said so he just grabbed the wheel with a big smile and up and in we went.

Just for interest, here is a photo of the "ferry port" at Glenelg.

post-54747-0-20503800-1386793124_thumb.jpg

The Cullin ferry near the CC Bunrea site is similar but has an S-bend on board, for good measure!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450