Class Of 2013, Was It A Good Year?

Steamdrivenandy

There are 33 reviews of 2013 vans in the CT Review Section and I thought it would be interesting to take a run through them to see how the caravan industry is doing as far as its customers are concerned.

There are no brand names mentioned in order to protect the guilty :rolleyes:

Firstly there are a few happy bunnies who post the following when asked 'Anything to look out for?':

• On a 2013 van? I hope not.
  • We've only had it 8 months, so haven't noticed anything yet.
  • But nothing major to report as yet.

The next respondent had me wondering whether he/she should really have purchased a different model:

• Yes I would say that the uprated model with the glass window on the front slope of the van is not right, from a personal point of view. You lose cupboard space Inside the van, where the window is. Oh yes it looks nice, but lose that cupboard space and you won't be best pleased.

​Still at least the doors or wheels aren't falling off.

The next reviewer was a person of few words answering that there was 'Nothing ' to look out for.

The next in line was more verbose:

• Hinges and catches not up to the job. No water/damp ingress so far.
    Some problems with PDI on delivery.

​Reminds me of the old joke about the world not ending, yet. And PDI problems to me are down to the dealer, not the van.

I won't go into details with the next review save that the answer to the question was 'All of the above bad points' and I don't blame him/her wanting to avoid repeating an awfully long list. For reference though it included four trips back to the dealer in 6 months for a whole litany of window, door, flyscreen, switch, mattress, blind, draft, water pump, Heki and tap issues. I was left wondering if there was any part of the van that was right.

It was something of a relief to then see the next review

• New but no problems yet.

and even 'Table runner fixing screws fell out but replaced with longer ones', was a much happier picture, but closely followed by:

• The entrance fly screen failed within 7 months. The seat cushions have numerous stitching threads broken. The fixed bed mattress side stitching threads broken.

​sort of brought me down to earth.

The next owner seemed to be having something of a door fest.:

• Edge trim on washroom door has come adrift. Dealer is replacing entire door. Beading around washroom door has come unstuck.

Another very unhappy punter reported:

• Fit and finish disappointing. Roof leaks. Leaks through TV antenna into lockers, leaks through roof lights, leaks through A/C unit.

​Followed by the more hopeful:

• Had a small leak soon fixed

and then by the much happier, though with a portent built in:

• We had no issues

and this seemed to be a sort of trend with the Job's comforter:

• No known issues currently but as with any new caravan I would recommend a full test of all systems near to the dealer.

Moving on, the next reviewer gave useful advice but was also anticipating trouble:

• Hopefully the construction will live up to its 10 year water ingress warranty. Would look out for problems with cupboard doors, the door flyscreen and the catches which hold open the shower doors. These did not hold the doors back in transit and my dealer has modified them. I also think the roof aerial will prove to be a problem.

His fellow owner reported:

• Microwave, they have already had a few issues with it, mine blew after 6 months of usage and the bathroom doesn't get too warm in the winter but having that looked at at its first service

I think I also spy an unhappy Corrie fan here, possibly with neck ache from the draft:

• Faults when delivered on the van, badly adjusted window catches i. e. not sealing, I adjusted as required (just pleased it did not rain on our way home) incorrectly mounted TV bracket which is also too weak to leave the TV on when towing.

Then there was the brief but telling:

• All ok once heating mods carried out by Whale

​and just as brief:

• The only problem I have had is the radio is faulty.

This was followed by what I first thought was a flying Tupperware fan:

• Aerial,and make sure you do not have the black "Salad Bowl" basin in the bathroom, they have fitted a different basin in the 2014 models.

Now we come to the winner of the most obscure answer as to 'what to watch out for':

• reviews from germanic/francophles. boring

Possibly posted by Monsieur Eric Cantona.

It's almost a relief to pass on to the more mundane:

• The internal plastic door handle is liable to fail - ours has been replaced with a metal one

Into the last lap now and you might see a pattern emerging.

• No issues yet; but with a new van ask your dealer to clear out the surplus mastic in the awning rail (both sides).
  • No problem with water ingress but it is less than a year old. The Whale heating needs modification with a silencer, check that has been done.
  • awning rail full of mastic

Then there's the teasingly optimistic 'Not really' and 'Give us till after the weekend'.

I'll not post the next reviewers mention of mattresses as theat would give the game away, but he added:

• As usual need to check dealer clears awning channels of mastic

and there was an echo

• Make sure awning rail has been cleaned out at dealers.

​Moving away from mastic mania we then have:

• Not so far (other than the heating) - which he'd explained earlier.

A more detailed response was:

• Nothing has broke. We had a problem with mastic in the awning rail - poor PDI and water escaping from the shower cubical. - poor assembly. hence the 4 score Other than that it has been and remains perfect.

And finally we end with a list that sort of sums it all up:

• Yes, build quality and the overall finish for a van worth 20K is disappointing. Just a few items to start with - 1)Door lock very weak. 2)Creaking floor. 3)External lockers - very difficult to shut. 4)Awning rail blocked with mastic - I could go on and on!

​I've gone 'on and on' enough too, but that's 33 brand new vans with only about 20% of buyers happy and if I was a certain production director in the less fashionable end of a city that rhymes with Pistol, I'd wrest the mastic gun from the gorilla that's been wielding it all this year. Happy Christmas

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I enjoyed reading this, even more so when my review got a mention! Yes, it's the mundane plastic handle, replaced with a new metal one! Here's hoping that you now haven't jinxed us and that there'll be more serious issues afoot - I hope not!

Cheers.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Oops. Sorry Glen, I hope you don't mind me snaffling your post :unsure:

I felt it was all in a good cause.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

There are 33 reviews of 2013 vans in the CT Review Section and I thought it would be interesting to take a run through them to see how the caravan industry is doing as far as its customers are concerned.

:goodpost: Nice one Andy :D

Hi Sda. The Class of 2013 is not all out just yet and The Royally Screwed School of Caravan Purchase is actually still learning lessons from this years 'Flash Catalogues.

There is one small and continually shrinking group of Caravanning Students that as yet, are not seeing the year end results of the recent promises of Magical Lessons to be learned from a whole new promise of better and more secure fixings.

The reality of this rather special school of continually failing lesson plans is that it might need to go into the Autumn Term of 2014 before the real lessons are learned about one particular subject matter.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Oops. Sorry Glen, I hope you don't mind me snaffling your post :unsure:

I felt it was all in a good cause.

Not at all - just wish there was someone in the caravan industry paying as much attention. Maybe you could email it to all the manufacturers and ask them to identify which of the faults recorded apply to their vans? It just may shock them (or not) into action!

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

How do you do those "good posting" thingy's ?

Good posting by the way

;):welcome::D :goodpost:same place as these?

What OS and device are you using to connect to CT?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.