Kia Sorento

CBBC

Hi all,

I currently have a Mazda CX-7 and getting a bit fed up of spending money on it and taking it back to the dealers for dreadful customer service.

I was passing a Kia dealers today and deiced to pop in to be nosey. The can get me a 13 plate Sorento with either auto or manual gearbox.

All the oufit matching websites say either model will be perfect for my van.

I've never had an auto before so a bit hesitant to make the change but going to test drive the auto they have in the dealership tomorrow morning.

So does anyone have any comments on how they find either gearbox and any comments in general on the Sorento?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

Auto for us everytime, it makes towing a breeze. Our road tax is very expensive but the later ones like yours will be cheaper. The six year service is eye wateringly expensive - they change everything ! Apart from that ours is brilliant and hasn't put a foot wrong yet ! Hubby loves it !

Good Luck.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I have just taken delivery of a 63 plate Sorento with Auto gearbox and it works very well. It is however missing Sport Mode which all bar my X reg Range Rover had, but I don't think that is too big a deal. You can still change sort of manually. Can't yet comment on economy as it has only done 180miles.

I did test drive the manual and as far as performance goes, they seemed pretty much on par. The only thing I would say is that the auto gear lever looks nicer in the Hyundai Santa Fe. The look of the gear lever in the Sorento looks a bit dated, but then again it looks pretty much the same as the auto gear lever in the Golf and Range Rover I used to have.

The choice of Auto V's Manual, is always down to personal preference. Having had autos in the past, I would never go back to them, for me it is manual all the time. The Auto will tow lighter trailers than the manual, but as you have already stated your van is well suited to both. Fuel consumption is given by Kia as lower than the manual.

I would suggest (if the dealer has both) to test drive both before making your choice.

If you are only going to do 11k per year the ask about the the service package incl MOT it works out cheaper than the normal price.

Good luck with your test drive.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Auto for me, wouldn`t go back to a manual.

Beware that the delivery period of a Sorento can be at least five months now. I ordered one on 10th October and was quoted about 8 weeks with an absolute max of 12 weeks. I`m still waiting for a build date so the Dealer doesn`t expect delivery to be until at least late February or March.

He tells me they are now quoting 16 to 20 weeks, but if this is as accurate as what I was told goodness knows when you might get a delivery !

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

Auto for me, wouldn`t go back to a manual.

Beware that the delivery period of a Sorento can be at least five months now. I ordered one on 10th October and was quoted about 8 weeks with an absolute max of 12 weeks. I`m still waiting for a build date so the Dealer doesn`t expect delivery to be until at least late February or March.

He tells me they are now quoting 16 to 20 weeks, but if this is as accurate as what I was told goodness knows when you might get a delivery !

Bob

Just a thought, reading the OP (#1) again he states the dealer can get him a 13 plate which must mean they already have them pre-registered or they would be 63 plates :)

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

I have a KX-2 auto on a 13 plate, it tows our twin wheel caravan without any problems. I prefer auto's for towing, they are easier to hill start, easier to reverse, far easier in heavy stop/start traffic. I find the performance very good with no need for a "sport" mode. If you want to drive quickly you can use the manual change option, but I never do. I tend to find driving solo I am in eco mode and there is plenty of power for everyday driving. For towing I turn the eco off and it is great. I have now completed 6000 miles and i am getting 27mpg towing. 33mpg around town and on a run if keeping to the speed limits 44mpg. I'm sure this could be improved on with careful driving!

On motorways with the caravan behind you just set the cruise control to your prefered speed and you are only there to steer as the auto box will change as necessary. A very relaxing way to travel.

I have only one issue with the car, the door cards mark if caught with your foot when getting in and out. At the moment I have not found out how to remove these marks.

For me manual is not an option, but it is a personal decision. I believe if most manual drivers towed with a good auto the would also be convinced.

Well tested the auto they had in the dealers.

Definitely liked it so we have bought one, it's a nine month old 13 plate. The one I will be getting is coming from another dealers but is the exact same (except colour and age) as the one I drove this morning.

Once they get into the dealers I have to go check it over and make sure I'm happy with it. If all is ok it then goes into the workshop for the towbar fitting.

So now looking forward to my new Christmas present :D:D

Well tested the auto they had in the dealers.

Definitely liked it so we have bought one, it's a nine month old 13 plate. The one I will be getting is coming from another dealers but is the exact same (except colour and age) as the one I drove this morning.

Once they get into the dealers I have to go check it over and make sure I'm happy with it. If all is ok it then goes into the workshop for the towbar fitting.

So now looking forward to my new Christmas present :D:D

Which one did you choose KX1, 2 or 3? What mileage?

Did you negotiate mats and towbar in with the price??

The days will drag now :huh:

Good luck

The delivery times for the new Santa Fe and Sorento might work in our favour then as we might be looking to sell our 62 plate (old shape), 9000 mile, white Santa Fe Premium 7-seater with Witter detachable tow bar and crossing to the "darker" (or lighter) side - motorhome, sorry :o .

On the auto v manual debate, we went for the manual SF as i) better mpg when solo, ii) less road tax (emissions) and iii) greater noseweight (100kg v 80kg). But yes, whatever gearbox is a personal preference and we would have preferred an auto but spend 95% of our time solo, so the manual for us wins hands down.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

We have a manual KX2, its a good towcar, drives well solo too. We have found that you can get a smelly clutch when manouevring, I think its because the clutch is very light so easy to slip it. Still it has 7 years warranty! We have thought about an auto when replacement time arrives, the only other issue is higher road tax.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

We have a manual KX2, its a good towcar, drives well solo too. 1) We have found that you can get a smelly clutch when manouevring, I think its because the clutch is very light so easy to slip it. 2) Still it has 7 years warranty! We have thought about an auto when replacement time arrives, the only other issue is higher road tax.

1) I found that but only for a short time, no longer smells.

2) It does not say it directly in the warranty sheet, but I do not think the clutch friction plate is covered for the 7 years it is classed "consumables" like brake pads and are normal wear N Tear. Unless it breaks up before wearing out, I may be wrong :)

We have a manual KX2, its a good towcar, drives well solo too. We have found that you can get a smelly clutch when manouevring, I think its because the clutch is very light so easy to slip it. Still it has 7 years warranty! We have thought about an auto when replacement time arrives, the only other issue is higher road tax.

As kiaboy says, check your handbook for the warranty conditions.

Our Hyundai Santa Fe (sister car to the Sorento) stipulates the clutch is excluded from the 5 year warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry for not commenting on the above, I have been back at work.

I went to test drive the car I will be getting today, again I was very impressed with the drive.

It's a KX-2, I think I got a good deal. It's going into the workshop on Monday to get the towbar and side steps fitted (I seen the side steps on another Sorento and think they look really smart). I also have the mudflaps and the carpets in the deal.

I should be getting it first thing on Tuesday morning - a nice Christmas present.

I haven't seen the handbook yet but I see someone has posted above the the automatic only has an 80Kg noseweight. All the websites I have looked at have both versions at 100Kg. Can anyone clarify for certain?

Really looking forward to Tuesday now :D:D

2010 to 2012 model year 80kg round front fogs

2013 model year 100kg oblong front fogs

this is on the auto

Edited by rushallmanor