Serviced Pitches In Winter

katieb

We are away in the van over Christmas and have a serviced pitch.

I am aware of the various methods of protecting the aquaroll and inlet pipe but what happens to the blue water hose that goes into the aquaroll and the length of waste pipe that goes into the drain?

I imagine water in both these will freeze in cold weather so what do you do to overcome this problem?

The Aquaroll is stood on a polystyrene base to insulate it, and is wrapped in an old puffa jacket with the water inlet pipe fed up the sleeve.

The waste pipe is supported along its length to provide a proper sloped run away from the caravan.

The only part that freezes is the water trapped in the corrugations of the waste pipe, this actually then helps as once frozen it smooths out the flow to the drain.

I must admit I haven't had any problems with our waste, water feed pipe or aquaroll on serviced pitches by doing as Grandpa Steve says. The problems have often been the sites water supply to the pitches freezing and just 1 or 2 of the communal taps working but that's been in very cold weather.

Edited by dave11a

I lag my aquaroll pipe with the thick grey plumbing insulation . cut it into 2cm lengths and fit around the aquaroll pipe. the shorter pieces means the pipe can still bend. larger pieces if the run to the tap is straight

lowest temp we have used the van in is -20c - the aquaroll pipe was ok providing it was used regularily and the aquaroll itself was wrapped in heat tape.

Edited by discodunc

Our problem has been the waste pipes under the van, our present van is better but water can collect at the elbows arrowed.

Dave

img51.jpg

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

I am aware of the various methods of protecting the aquaroll and inlet pipe but what happens to the blue water hose that goes into the aquaroll and the length of waste pipe that goes into the drain?

I imagine water in both these will freeze in cold weather so what do you do to overcome this problem?

We spent 1 night on a snow covered serviced pitch in January, but could not use the on pitch tap as it was frozen solid so had to use the aquaroll. We just stood it on a couple of layers of bubble wrap & then wrapped it in same, held in place by a bungy cord. For the waste pipe I simply disconnected it last thing at night, lifted it as high a possible at the van end to drain everything away, then re-attached it.

It does beg the question that if the wardens know the taps are frozen, should they not warn you on arrival, as you are paying extra for a service that is unavailable & may want to switch to a standard pitch - & before the deluge, yes I do believe in santa, the tooth fairy & that pigs can fly :P

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Keep a couple of bottles water in the van. If either/both pipes freeze, which I have found they do, boil kettle and go out and pour over said frozen pipes without burning yourself. If the tap is frozen you have your bottles of water for a cup of tea.

Alternative idea get an on board tank.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Thanks for your advice - I don't think we will get an on board tank as it might be a rather expensive option, but we will certainly do everything else. My main concern was about the thin blue pipe that comes into the aquaroll from the tap but I can't see how we could do anything to protect this, short of clearing all the water out from it every night, which rather defeats the purpose of having a serviced pitch.

Once again, thanks to you all

For the waste - before bed I just use an old water filler pipe the wrong way round over the drain holes and a quick blow down to empty. Then next morning the warm shower water etc runs away no problem.