Roof Rippled Following Repair

millerhouse12

Back in June, I reported about some problems I had following a repair by an Approved Workshop. (See thread) The saga is ongoing and there has been some movement by the dealer following my complaint to the AWS Conciliation scheme but as well as the dents left in the roof, the roof panel has rippled (see photo). I think my Bailey has a fully bonded roof which would be attached to a straight (if very wet at the time) piece of wooden framing. I cannot understand, therefore why the roof has rippled as there was no rippling before the repair was carried out. Up to now, everything is dry so perhaps I'm worrying about nothing, but I'd be grateful for the opinions of anybody with any knowledge of caravan repairs as to whether this rippling is something to concerned about.

As an aside, I'm so far unimpressed with the AWS Conciliation performance. Following my initlal complaint, it took them a week to send a brief email acknowledgement saying simply that they would investigate. I sent a subsequent email to update them on the dealer response and then a letter & DVD with further information as the initial form was a bit limiting. Neither of these additional communications has been acknowledged and there has been no response to my question about this rippling or any further detail about how the complaint will be handled.

John M

post-31073-0-34081200-1386550139_thumb.jpg

Edited by millerhouse12

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

When I was cleaning our roof on Saturday I too noticed the roof being a fit 'flappy' where it meets the front roof bar. I too was under the impression that it was bonded. Perhaps it is meant to be like that at the front ? Not rippled like your photo though. ........ Perhaps you can examine some other Bailey's of the same sort of age to compare. It may not be as bad as you think though :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

The roof on a 2007 van is not fully bonded, in fact it is not bonded at all, it is a loose laid sheet held in place by the rooflights, front and back roof straps and side staples under the awning rail.

Your roof should NOT look like that, that is the sloppiest bodge I have seen for a long time!

The mastic should have been smoothed along the length of the strap to stop pooling of water, and it looks, although not very clear, that there are raised screw heads along the strap.

The roof should not have those ripples in it.

As for the AWS conciliation process, don't forget it is a Trade body there to promote the trade, NOT the consumer

Edited by Brecon

It looks like a total bodge. Reading the previous thread linked to in the original post I feel that you have received a great disservice.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

If you're in the caravan club I would be tempted to ask their solicitors for advice

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

The roof on a 2007 van is not fully bonded, in fact it is not bonded at all, it is a loose laid sheet held in place by the rooflights, front and back roof straps and side staples under the awning rail.

Your roof should NOT look like that, that is the sloppiest bodge I have seen for a long time!

The mastic should have been smoothed along the length of the strap to stop pooling of water, and it looks, although not very clear, that there are raised screw heads along the strap.

The roof should not have those ripples in it.

As for the AWS conciliation process, don't forget it is a Trade body there to promote the trade, NOT the consumer

Reluctant to contradict you but the 2007 Pageant S6 does have a bonded roof. .

I have one and have double checked with literature and Baileys web site

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

What a horrible mess! And they expect you to accept it like that?? I hope you

manage to get it sorted to your satisfaction.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Hi John,

I have the same van as yourself and my roof looks nothing like yours. As others have said it looks like a right bodge up.

I had to have a new roof fitted to my van 2 years ago this month due to it having a small hole in it ( found by my dealer) and it went back to Baileys to have the work done. They also fitted a new front and rear panel and it came back to me looking better than new.

Keep on to them and don't take any s--t off them.

Best of luck.

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I can only agree with everything said, a complete mess and to add to it all those screws don't look right and will possibly let water in!

If the wood was wet when the job was repaired the wood will be swollen and as it dries it would shrink but the roof material does not causing the ripples. Looked like they should of let the wood dry out or replaced the wet wood.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Back in June, I reported about some problems I had following a repair by an Approved Workshop. (See thread) The saga is ongoing and there has been some movement by the dealer following my complaint to the AWS Conciliation scheme but as well as the dents left in the roof, the roof panel has rippled (see photo). I think my Bailey has a fully bonded roof which would be attached to a straight (if very wet at the time) piece of wooden framing. I cannot understand, therefore why the roof has rippled as there was no rippling before the repair was carried out. Up to now, everything is dry so perhaps I'm worrying about nothing, but I'd be grateful for the opinions of anybody with any knowledge of caravan repairs as to whether this rippling is something to concerned about.

As an aside, I'm so far unimpressed with the AWS Conciliation performance. Following my initlal complaint, it took them a week to send a brief email acknowledgement saying simply that they would investigate. I sent a subsequent email to update them on the dealer response and then a letter & DVD with further information as the initial form was a bit limiting. Neither of these additional communications has been acknowledged and there has been no response to my question about this rippling or any further detail about how the complaint will be handled.

John M

Hi John. That repair as per your image is thoroughly disgusting. The gap that is spasmodically filled with silicone is a thorough disgrace and a breeding ground for algae. My guess is that the gap is best part of 10mm,this should surely be close right down and the silicone that has oozed out should be cleaned off and totally smooth and evenly finished.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

This is just another example of the very high standards that all dealers work to!!

That repair would be totally unacceptable AFAIAC No decent repair shop would send that out as satisfactory. As others have said, time for action. ......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

I would take the van back and reject the repair. Disgusting

Kev

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

That repair is one of the worst I've seen for a long time. My caravan is in storage, or I'd photograph the excellent job my mobile guy has done on mine.

Looks totally unacceptable. Take it back and demand they re do it

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Think you have a definitive answer from all of us on here. Do not allow another moment to pass before complaining (in writing) setting out tyhe fault and what you want to happen next. Give them 14 days to respond, then tell them you will take it to another proper repairer and send them the bill. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Think you have a definitive answer from all of us on here. Do not allow another moment to pass before complaining (in writing) setting out tyhe fault and what you want to happen next. Give them 14 days to respond, then tell them you will take it to another proper repairer and send them the bill. ..Peter

And if they refuse to sort it, get it done elsewhere and go through the small claims court to get your money back.

Good luck and keep everyone informed. Just can't believe that dealers would let something like that be classed as competed.

This is what your roof SHOULD look like

http://i877. photobucket. com/albums/ab340/joanshubby/SAM_0002. jpg

Dave

What a terrible bodged repair! I would insist on it being done correctly. ...it looks like they may have to replace the whole roof panel & joining strip due to the extent of the damage (the roof skin is not solid enough to allow a good lasting repair).

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Thank you Brecon, that's a relief to me at least. ...... :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We had a 2007 Senator and the specification was the same as the Pageant and they did have a bonded roof - I still have the brochure and it states for the Pageant " Fully bonded exterior body shell with 6-year integrity Guarantee". Yes, the roof is part of the body shell and is bonded - your roof shouldn't look like this an ours was dead flat like Doosan's but cleaner !

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Sussex Caravans Limited Edition

Reluctant to contradict you but the 2007 Pageant S6 does have a bonded roof. .

I have one and have double checked with literature and Baileys web site

poolebob

You are absolutely correct poolbob, I have just checked my brochure and it states that the outside IS bonded with a 6 year warranty :D

Dave

Thanks everybody. I am all too well aware of what the roof should look like - what I am not sure about is if this poor quality repair is actually likely to cause problems in the future. My main complaint which is supposedly still being investigated relates to numerous small dents also left on the roof following the repair (some are visible in the photo) and for which the dealer has so far denied responsibility. There are so many that it is possible that replacing the roof may be the only way to put things right, but I wanted further ammunition if it might help to get them to admit liability. The AWS is certainly an NCC organisation, but it has the backing of both major clubs, so I would hope that it is not entirely biased towards the caravan industry. I could be wrong, however.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution