Winter Traveling

Meira

Hi friends. I have just joined the forum. My husband and myself are 67&62 years . We have just bought a Burstner 2005 which is in storage in Holland at the moment. We would like to begin using it this winter but have no experience in winter camping. So any advice will be helpful. It doesn't have a double floor but does have a water tank under the seats and the waste tank in insulated. Thanks a lot.

I find winter camping is like summer camping but it gets dark quicker!

Look after your battery, Top up your water with a watering can . .........

what else can I say?

Enjoy your caravan, ask questions, happy Christmas.

No! definitely not recommended. The caravan gets warm enough very quickly when you

switch it on anyway.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Drain the caravan down after use and leave the taps open afterwards, Best to leave the lockers open whilst in storage over the winter months and put the cushions on end to allow the air to circulate.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

I see that you're based in Israel. Are you thinking about winter caravanning around the mediterranean or planning to travel to northern europe or the alps?

If you're thinking about places where snow is likely, I'd recommend fitting winter tyres and also carrying snow chains. I think these may be compulsory in the alpine countries.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

We have a Burstner Belcanto and I have to say it is really cosy in winter. We had a few days in Madrid last January in sub zero temperatures, the caravan kept warm no problem. Quite safe to leave gas heating on overnight if the site electric amperage is low, but preferable to use electric. DO NOT leave gas fire on while travelling. You should really turn the gas off at the cylinder in case of an accident. However the caravan does warm up very quickly.

Many Germans use Burstners for winter ski trips, THey can take a metre or so of snow on the roof without damage.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

make sure you have propane gas butane will not work in cold tempertures

If it is Alpine and snow check you have either the chimney extension,

or regularly check the heater flue is clear of snow.

For long stays the natives often fit a draught skirt right around the bottom

of the caravan to help with the caravan insulation.

Are you talking about a caravan or motor home :unsure:

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch