Mudflaps

Can I ask why you want mudflaps on the van?

And my mover is to the rear of the wheel - so no good for me.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I guess the same reason Bailey fit them as standard on the unicorn, and swift on the dealer specials

I fitted them on my last van and it did stop alot of dirty water from wet roads travelling under the van and then flicking up all over the rear panel

Kev

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

I thought new vans had a under belly membrane to cover them in ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I guess the same reason Bailey fit them as standard on the unicorn, and swift on the dealer specials

I fitted them on my last van and it did stop alot of dirty water from wet roads travelling under the van and then flicking up all over the rear panel

Kev

I had always assumed that it was the partial vacuum at the rear which 'sucked' dirty water onto the rear panel.

Sam :beardy:

I noticed that the new Cadiz that we had ordered now has mud flaps fitted although they are quite small which I'd assumed was to accommodate room for the caravan mover to be fitted. I,m like yourself traveling round these Devon lanes after a tractor or something has recently pulled out of a field which then likes to decorate the rear of the van with vacuum spray. Hoping the mud flaps helps cut some of this down

Reguards Stu

Honda CRV 2. 2 CTDi with a Bailey Unicorn Valencia

I don't know about partial vacuum, what I do know is there was a lot less dirt on the back post mudflaps

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Come on Stu - you have been caravanning long enough to know the motor mover will be installed in front of the caravan wheel and not behind (well does for single axle vans) - is it old age creeping up on you ?

We had mud flaps on our Coachman and they had no effect on what was thrown up on the back of the van but did keep the sides a little cleaner - not a lot though.

Best of luck with the new van, by the way.

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Sussex Caravans Limited Edition

Yes it is but why would you want to?

Really ? You don't have mudflaps on your car to keep the spray down for those behind you ? And is it not preferrable that the majority of water thrown off the caravan wheelsbe re-directed to the ground rather than jet washing the underside floor ?

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Really ? You don't have mudflaps on your car to keep the spray down for those behind you ? And is it not preferrable that the majority of water thrown off the caravan wheelsbe re-directed to the ground rather than jet washing the underside floor ?

Why have you quoted my post?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Err - do the words " why would you want to not ring a bell ?

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Really ? You don't have mudflaps on your car to keep the spray down for those behind you ?

You might not but others do, ;) Fitting them to the rear of the car does reduce (not eliminate) dirt/spray to the front of the van, I must admit I fitted mudflaps to my Coachman Pastiche (Standard fit to VIP) and do not think they have any effect, but they will stay on now as the holes made for the screws would need to be filled.

I would sooner follow a car fitted with mudflaps (not the rubbish "spats" most manufacturers fit today) than one without :D

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

I fitted mudflaps to my Bailey Bordeaux when I had it.

I bought some largish second hand caravan flaps of eBay, cut them to the size I wanted which removed the old shabby fixing holes, screwed them to a 40mm square treated timber batten with large SS penny washers to spread the load and then screwed the completed item onto the floor behind the wheel arch. Worked perfectly and kept a lot of crud from coating the underside, cheaper too !

(The same mudflaps had been on a previous caravan before the Bailey never caught up and stayed put on that too)

2. 0Lt Ford Mondeo Titanium X 130PS (metric hp) TDCI Auto Estate. .... Freeman 23 Broads Cruiser !

the motor mover on my single axle is fitted

Mover in front on single axle :)

Mine isn't!knarf

the motor mover on my single axle is fitted. Mine isn't!knarf

Which way was the caravan pointing when you looked? ;)

Sam :beardy:

I didn't realise that a simple question would have caused such problems and animosity etc. ...

I asked because I had fitted them to all my previous vans. ..keeps crud from underside and to protect my newly insulated heating duct from road stone chips.

I didn't realise that a simple question would have caused such problems and animosity etc. ...

I asked because I had fitted them to all my previous vans. ..keeps crud from underside and to protect my newly insulated heating duct from road stone chips.

I can believe it having read many posts there are some posters here who just delight in provocation. Don't let it put you off asking ANY questions you want answers to. As the saying goes NO question is stupid. ;)

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Thanks for that five star . ..

And as I said in my previous post the reason for fitting is:-

""and to protect my newly insulated heating duct from road stone chips. ""

• 5 years later...

Just done a 300mile trip with caravan in bad weather couldn't believe the mud and dirt on the rear underside of the caravan ,all over spare wheel cradle and spare wheel too . Mudflaps would have stopped a lot of this  ( front floor of the caravans wheels was clean )  Mudflaps ordered  !!  after all , anything they stop is better than nothing ,they can't do any harm and you can pick them up for around a tenner .

Standard on Unicorn so should be available from Bailey parts

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)